Don't Know Anything About This Guy

CallawaySabres

I think you are forgetting they moved to get Myers last year.

Most drafts talent falls precipitously after the first 20-25 picks.

eg. I think almost everyone in the 2003 draft first round was a home run. ( a rarity)

The second round was swallowed whole by the ECHL.

That's right, didn't they give up picks to move one spot?

13. Buffalo Sabres - Zack Kassian - 6-3/211 - Right Wing - (Peterborough/OHL)

Kassian is one of the only true power forwards on this list that can intimidate opponents and produce offence with equal efficiency. When he steps on the ice, he is always looking to make a check when the opportunity provides itself - and he hits to hurt. Do not let the rambunctious play distract you, since Kassian has some fine offensive skills at his disposal. His hockey sense and puck skills are good but not great which is fine since he bring other strong elements to the table. To his credit, Kassian does make good decisions with the puck and can surprise you at times and shows the passing skills to play with highly skilled players. He has a heavy shot and displays pretty soft hands in close around the net and could become a valuable crease presence. The kid is tough as nails and will hammer you with hits along the boards or in open ice and has no problem dropping the gloves and solving your problem. Kassian should develop into a reliable defensive player as he progresses. At times he can be a little inconsistent, but that is nothing new with prospects and as long as his work ethic is strong.

from TSN

He was my choice for a long time now. The Sabres need more size and toughness everywhere!

My biggest fear is that they choose another 5'8" 165 lb. forward or another soft puck handling defenseman. They need to get much tougher.

He was my choice for a long time now. The Sabres need more size and toughness everywhere!

My biggest fear is that they choose another 5'8" 165 lb. forward or another soft puck handling defenseman. They need to get much tougher.

100% Agree! :thumbsup:

Schroeder or Kassian??

going by history, the FO will rather pick Schroeder

me, i'd like to see Kassian, Goose and Kaleta on a line together

Kassian won't play with Kaleta. Most experts compare his game to Milan Lucic. Others to Brandon Morrow.

Not sure how much you read this forum, but, Kassian has been the guy i have wanted for atleast 8 months now. I always debated him or Schenn on this forum. However, if Ryan Ellis drops to 13, it will be difficult for Sabres not to pick him IMO. He's a Brian Campbell clone, with better defense. I love Kassian and think he'll be a heck of a player in the future but Ellis could be a special player as well. I understand the need for grit, but for the 2009/2010 season, Kassian won't have an impact. They will need to find it else where. It's easier to find grit in the market then it is to find a Ellis type player. Another guy i LOVE is Simon Despres. Great skater. Very good offensive game. And hits hard. Some experts compare him to Dion Phanuef. Our defense is so good right now (for the future) if they find another gem with the 13th pick, to go with Myers, Butler, Sekera, and Weber, a lot of our problems will be much easier to fix.

Bottom line is, if Sabres get either of those 3, I will be extremely happy.

I will be very, very happy if they get Kassian. That said, if he ends up like Paille (4th/3rd-liner with intermittent scoring), we will have to remember to blame someone other than Darcy (system? coach?) While he is a bit bigger than Paille, he has similar offensive numbers (actually much less last year than Danny's first year - 21 vs. 53, but just slightly more this year than Danny's second - 63 vs. 57, though 3 less goals) in the OHL.

FWIW, Mirtle's mock draft has the Sabres taking Kassian.

The kid's even got a tough name, doesn't he?

It would be fine with me, although I wouldn't expect to see him in the NHL for a couple of years.

Interesting that he sees Budish going high as the 12th. Budish is very similar to Kassian, but Budish has seemingly lost stock over the past few weeks in most mock drafts. Budish is very young, and didn't play last season. Why? He tore his ACL in football. Yes, this kid plays hockey AND football. :thumbsup: Budish is 6'3 and 230. Kid can throw his body around.

Its unfortunate the Sabres don't have a 2nd round pick this year. There are some certified gems in the 2nd round this year.

Most mock drafts see Budish going in the 2nd round. Another predicted to go in the 2nd round is C/LW Chris Kreider, a strong physical forward.

I will be very, very happy if they get Kassian. That said, if he ends up like Paille (4th/3rd-liner with intermittent scoring), we will have to remember to blame someone other than Darcy (system? coach?) While he is a bit bigger than Paille, he has similar offensive numbers (actually much less last year than Danny's first year - 21 vs. 53, but just slightly more this year than Danny's second - 63 vs. 57, though 3 less goals) in the OHL.

I was making the same comparison in my head while reading this thread. His size, his numbers, everything is pointing to him being a solid NHL player, but the goals on his (highlight?) video weren't very impressive. It looked like the majority of his scoring opportunities were from outworking and hitting an opponent, then throwing it on the net. What happens when he's up against players that work just as hard (if not harder) as him, and goaltenders that do not have a tendency to give up soft goals?

All this being said, all things being equal on a player size should come in play, but if you've got a choice between Svensson-Paajarvi and Kassian, going with the former is the right choice.

It looked like the majority of his scoring opportunities were from outworking and hitting an opponent, then throwing it on the net. What happens when he's up against players that work just as hard (if not harder) as him, and goaltenders that do not have a tendency to give up soft goals?

Of course, isn't the type of goals that are being scored these days? Isn't that what we were told over and over again? While not quite as big as Goose, I could see Kassian ending up at that skill level. At least we could move toward being the "hardest working team in hockey" again ...

Of course, isn't the type of goals that are being scored these days? Isn't that what we were told over and over again? While not quite as big as Goose, I could see Kassian ending up at that skill level. At least we could move toward being the "hardest working team in hockey" again ...

A move from a team full of 2nd & 3rd line floaters to a team full of 2nd & 3rd line grinders sure seems like a lateral move to me. :thumbsup:

Archived