Don't Know Anything About This Guy

CallawaySabres

I am certainly allowed to comment on the opinions of others. The opinion seemingly was written by someone who had watched the little fella play and seems unbiased. If it is his unbiased opinion is that the kid is a puss, I am more than happy to run with it.

Shroeder was one of the strongest players at the combine for upper body...second in bench press, and second in the push test.

That's because you're a fool, but really, it's nothing new. Anyway, the main problem with Schroeder is that he has no clue how to spell.

How easily you get your panties in bunch. But let's not allow that to get in the way of the topic at hand. There is no way the Sabres can afford to draft another 5-9 munchkin who, reportedly, shy's away when things get tough. Size and a mean streak, if the players they draft don't have both they are throwing away picks.

The 2009 Draft has to be the start of a new direction for this franchise. If they treat this draft and off-season as they have done recently then there is little hope for the immediate future.

I did say earlier that they're not drafting him. I just like the kid due to his poorly spelled last name. Oh, and I've actually seen him play, crazy, I know.

The thing that bugs me a bit with the thinking around here lately is that people seem to want to draft a big guy, regardless of talent. Size guarantees nothing. Then there's this thought that they need to start off in a new direction. Did you look at last year's draft? Yes, they took 5'9 Ennis,but look at the rest of the draft. There's nothing but size. Only one of thoser other picks was under 6" (Legace at 5"11, 190 lbs). So really, all you're whining about is one player.

Shroeder was one of the strongest players at the combine for upper body...second in bench press, and second in the push test.

I am sure he is a great kid worthy of a first round pick. Just not the Sabres first round pick. Not to a team with a glaring need for size upfront and toughness throughout the roster. Not a team that already has Roy, Gerbe, Kennedy, Byron and Ennis.

I did say earlier that they're not drafting him. I just like the kid due to his poorly spelled last name. Oh, and I've actually seen him play, crazy, I know.

The thing that bugs me a bit with the thinking around here lately is that people seem to want to draft a big guy, regardless of talent. Size guarantees nothing. Then there's this thought that they need to start off in a new direction. Did you look at last year's draft? Yes, they took 5'9 Ennis,but look at the rest of the draft. There's nothing but size. Only one of thoser other picks was under 6" (Legace at 5"11, 190 lbs). So really, all you're whining about is one player.

That player that happened to be a first round pick. The Sabres need a severe shift in ideology. They drafted a player that is 6' 7", in true Sabre fashion the kids strength is skating not hitting or toughness. They need players with size and players that are willing to use that size.

Personally, I can't wait to see Ennis.

The trouble with drafting a power forward is that by the time they are ready to contribute to an NHL roster they are contractually up for grabs.

Personally, I can't wait to see Ennis.

The trouble with drafting a power forward is that by the time they are ready to contribute to an NHL roster they are contractually up for grabs.

Which brings us to the next problem. Mid level talent price tag is highly inflated. This is a direct result of the CBA.

this I like the most

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

If Buffalo has a chance to take this kid, they should do it. He could make an immediate impact if he is as far along as Lucic.

It'll be hard to draft Matt Kassian since the Wild took him in the second round of the 2005 draft. Now, Zach Kassian is a different story, but I don't believe that he ever fought Lucic.

The paragraph said tough as nails, likes to hit along the boards and in open ice so, never happens. It seems as if he is too tough and gritty for this team of Mary's.

Too tough for the GM, that's for sure.

not going to happen because he sound like he is a tough hockey player....

I was on the Kassian bandwagon before the season even ended...

http://forums.sabrespace.com/index.php?sho...&hl=kassian

Best case scenario...He turns out to have enough offensive ability to play on a scoring line while reeking havoc with his physical style of play.

Worst case scenario...His offensive skills just don't cut it at the NHL level and he is a physical force playing on the 3rd line and chipping in 15 or so goals a year.

I'm okay with the pick either way.

That being said, either he will be gone when it is the Sabres turn to pick or he is available and the Sabres pass on him. Mark my words.

Best case scenario...He turns out to have enough offensive ability to play on a scoring line while reeking havoc with his physical style of play.

Worst case scenario...His offensive skills just don't cut it at the NHL level and he is a physical force playing on the 3rd line and chipping in 15 or so goals a year.

That being said, either he will be gone when it is the Sabres turn to pick or he is available and the Sabres pass on him. Mark my words.

Worst case scenario is he doesn't sniff the nhl...

the most likely at that spot with RW Power forward is he doesn't produce (like most power forwards) until his mid to late 20's. But that's the risk with power forwards.

Excellent point.

I think Turris and Garner drafted after him have played in the NHL too. Both sleighter guys.

Boy. I thought that was a weak draft...it looks like that might be the case.

It's still too early to evaluate that draft, but it's always going to look weak since it was followed up by the 2008 draft. If Turris ever starts to bulk up a bit, he has an incredible amount of talent. JVR will fall into that power forward development role that you've been talking about. I think the biggest hit that draft took though was Cherapanov. He may very well have been the most talented player in that entire draft, but we'll never know what he could've become.

It'll be hard to draft Matt Kassian since the Wild took him in the second round of the 2005 draft. Now, Zach Kassian is a different story, but I don't believe that he ever fought Lucic.

Gosh I didn't even notice that, good catch. :blush:

This kid seems to, on paper at least, have all the qualities the Sabres need to start infusing their franchise with. The Sabres should aggressively try to move up and secure this kid. It would great, and shocking, if the Sabres decided to be proactive this off-season instead of sitting around and seeing what falls to them. They should make what ever move is needed to draft this kid or trade out of the first round entirely.

This kid seems to, on paper at least, have all the qualities the Sabres need to start infusing their franchise with. The Sabres should aggressively try to move up and secure this kid. It would great, and shocking, if the Sabres decided to be proactive this off-season instead of sitting around and seeing what falls to them. They should make what ever move is needed to draft this kid or trade out of the first round entirely.

I think you are forgetting they moved to get Myers last year.

Most drafts talent falls precipitously after the first 20-25 picks.

eg. I think almost everyone in the 2003 draft first round was a home run. ( a rarity)

The second round was swallowed whole by the ECHL.

I think you are forgetting they moved to get Myers last year.

Most drafts talent falls precipitously after the first 20-25 picks.

eg. I think almost everyone in the 2003 draft first round was a home run. ( a rarity)

The second round was swallowed whole by the ECHL.

Hugh Jessiman was the perfect guy to infuse that hard hitting agressive style into the Rangers game. Wait a second, 12th pick overall. Oh no.

That first round really is a thing of beauty. It's amazing how quickly it drops off after that. I can't wait to see how 2008 plays out.

Archived