Briere to have eye surgery

Calvin

Getting LASIK is probably the best decision i've ever made in my life. The only semi-crappy part about it was having to use eye drops until your tear ducts are back to bossing and trying not to rub your eye's and F up all the progress.

Getting LASIK is probably the best decision i've ever made in my life. The only semi-crappy part about it was having to use eye drops until your tear ducts are back to bossing and trying not to rub your eye's and F up all the progress.

how long did it take until you felt normal?

how long did it take until you felt normal?

It wasn't long, as soon as I opened my eyes right after the surgery I could tell I could see far objects more clearly. Though I was still tired from being slightly drugged up and getting up early so they put these goggles on you and tell you to wear them when you sleep so you don't rub your eyes. I pretty much slept most of the day and the next day I was allowed to walk around normally though they make you put in these eyedrops so you don't get an infection and also you got to use these other ones to keep them lubed.

Within I think two or three days I was driving myself back there for a checkup. I think its different for most people but i'd say my eyes were drier than normal for about year after the surgery. Really wasn't a big deal i'd just drop some of the drops in and i'd be fine. Naturally its worse in the winter when you don't have the humidity. They tell you to try not to rub your eyes for about a year I think (maybe im making this up) but I was terrified of ripping the lens up so it was a long time before I rubbed my eyes.

So to answer your question: I was back up and running at full speed like a day after, you just have to do some maintenance. My eyes were horrible and I hated wearing my glasses and would constantly break or mess them up. So about a day after getting it done I already felt like it was a great descision.

If you are asking more of when I felt I didn't need to do any eye maintenance i'd say about a year.

I'll tell you for Briere i'd be cautious of playing any contact hockey for a couple of months like the article says...especially if tempers could flare. Someone rubbing your eyes for you or a stick could require you to go back and do the surgery again. I atleast wouldn't play without a full cage for a bit.

I'll tell you for Briere i'd be cautious of playing any contact hockey for a couple of months like the article says...especially if tempers could flare. Someone rubbing your eyes for you or a stick could require you to go back and do the surgery again. I atleast wouldn't play without a full cage for a bit.

He can't be the first player to have this done. I'm sure the contact thing shouldn't be too much of a problem. As for your comment about the potential of getting hit with a stick, I'd have to say that this surgery would be the last thing on his mind if that were to happen.

He can't be the first player to have this done. I'm sure the contact thing shouldn't be too much of a problem. As for your comment about the potential of getting hit with a stick, I'd have to say that this surgery would be the last thing on his mind if that were to happen.

Oh i'm sure he's not.

I mean the chances of taking a stick in the eye especially with a shield are small... and practicing with your team you probably wouldn't get hit hard or someone face washing you is minimal. But still you aren't going to want to get the bacteria from sweat in your eyes especially early after the surgery. more importantly also can't touch your eyes to rub the stinging sweat out. I remember them specifically telling me that. Contact drills you'd have to wear a helmet, i'd just say for him to wait a month or two before doing any contact. What does he have to lose by not doing them? For me it was hard enough even months after skating on the ice cause its so cold and dry out there. Having to put in the drops on the bench in was hard enough cause my eyebrows and crap were so salty. In any case I can see why i'd be a few months before he'd want to be back full swing.

From what I understand too after reading it again...if article is correct, he is getting something called PRK and not necessarily LASIK. I don't really remember exactly what they do but I don't think that they cut out a little flap like they do is LASIK. Its a similar procedure but supposidly it hurts more and it takes a longer time for your vision to really come through.

Who knows, all I know is LASIK kicks ass.

Did you actually read the link? There is no way you can tie eye issues into hockey related injuries unless you're Bryan Berard. He is essentially having LASIK.

i said nothing about hockey-related injuries.. i just said he seems to have way too many 'issues'

these are the kinds of people with baggage we could do without on the Sabres.. no thank you!

i said nothing about hockey-related injuries.. i just said he seems to have way too many 'issues'

these are the kinds of people with baggage we could do without on the Sabres.. no thank you!

Poor eyesight is baggage? Oh wait, that's being corrected.

Archived