The Music Thread

darksabre

On 11/22/2023 at 2:15 PM, Sabres Fan in NS said:

LOL - I clicked on the thread title and was gonna make a joke about "where's the ska discussion group?" and there is a youtube to the Specials!

I am actually not a "life is ska" type (I generally enjoy most music genres) - but I was fortunate enough to be able to appreciate the rise of the Mighty Mighty Bosstones after Clueless and through the mini-renaissance in the late 90's very early 2000's. Saw Dickie and the boys a dozen times or so in the Chicago/Milwaukee area - great freaking shows. Tons of smaller venues in Milwaukee had lots of the smaller acts, too! What a time to be alive! 

Probably mostly stems from playing the trumpet 4th grade through pep-band in college 🙂

• Like (+1) 2

This has become one of my favorite Christmas songs, and at least once a year I like to watch this mashup of the versions of this song when Darlene Love sang it on Letterman, which became an annual tradition on the show.  Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

This has become one of my favorite Christmas songs, and at least once a year I like to watch this mashup of the versions of this song when Darlene Love sang it on Letterman, which became an annual tradition on the show.  Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)

Will Lee is a MFer! He's not only laying it down on bass, but between him and the GTR player, they are doing the backup singers parts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 12/22/2023 at 4:07 PM, Sabres Fan in NS said:

😎

Dino is so cool.

It's grown on me a bit, but I've spent much of my life hating that song.

16 hours ago, SwampD said:

Lighten up. It was a joke.

As a disinterested party, I kind of thought it was creepy too.

Or cringey at least.

Edited by Doohickie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2023 at 6:48 PM, ska-T Chitown said:

LOL - I clicked on the thread title and was gonna make a joke about "where's the ska discussion group?" and there is a youtube to the Specials!

I am actually not a "life is ska" type (I generally enjoy most music genres) - but I was fortunate enough to be able to appreciate the rise of the Mighty Mighty Bosstones after Clueless and through the mini-renaissance in the late 90's very early 2000's. Saw Dickie and the boys a dozen times or so in the Chicago/Milwaukee area - great freaking shows. Tons of smaller venues in Milwaukee had lots of the smaller acts, too! What a time to be alive! 

Probably mostly stems from playing the trumpet 4th grade through pep-band in college 🙂

Awesome !!

The ska revival in 1979 was only 11 or 12 years after it's big hay-day in 1967 and 1968.  In 1979 that seemed like eons earlier, but it really wasn't.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

RIP 'Family Man'.

He and his brother helped modernize the rythem of Reggae in the 1970s.  Sly and Robbie refined it a bit in the same era and others followed them, but the basics were put down and defined by the Barrett brothers with Bob Marley.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-68196823?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA

Man do the Grammies ever suck. I rarely watch and if I do scroll past its inevitably the swift cam on Taylor in the audience or like last nights ***** show it was the Oprah cam focusing on oprah in the audience every couple of minutes. Reminds me why I hate this show. That and the fact I’ve never heard of the people winning all these awards but they did finally give Joni Mitchel a grammy for the first time ever. I wonder what she thinks when she sees  Swift win 14 every year ?

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Man do the Grammies ever suck. I rarely watch and if I do scroll past its inevitably the swift cam on Taylor in the audience or like last nights ***** show it was the Oprah cam focusing on oprah in the audience every couple of minutes. Reminds me why I hate this show. That and the fact I’ve never heard of the people winning all these awards but they did finally give Joni Mitchel a grammy for the first time ever. I wonder what she thinks when she sees  Swift win 14 every year ?

I agree with all of this.

I also could not be more proud of my brother, who won his 4th Grammy yesterday.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

14 hours ago, SwampD said:

I agree with all of this.

I also could not be more proud of my brother, who won his 4th Grammy yesterday.

Trying to figure out who your brother is by looking at 4 time winners. For example, I eliminated Marvin Hamlisch and Lisa Lopes because they've both been dead for more than 10 years and Lopes would be a sister. Carol King and Lizzo don't fit.  Lenny Kravitz would be cool. David Russell would be a candidate but he's European. 

No problem if you don't want to share but would be fun to know. 

2 minutes ago, TheAud said:

Trying to figure out who your brother is by looking at 4 time winners. For example, I eliminated Marvin Hamlisch and Lisa Lopes because they've both been dead for more than 10 years and Lopes would be a sister. Carol King and Lizzo don't fit.  Lenny Kravitz would be cool. David Russell would be a candidate but he's European. 

No problem if you don't want to share but would be fun to know. 

They only do the main pop categories during the show in primetime, but that day, there are several shows going on with dozens and dozens of categories that nobody knows of. He won in the classical group.