The Music Thread

darksabre

9 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I have one or two albums by Miles Davis (Kind of Blue is amazing), but maybe I need to expand that part of my library.

The problem with saying that is that he evolved so much throughout his career, depending on what you get, you could hear vastly different albums. Which era are you looking to get into? 

12 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Sketches of Spain by Miles Davis had a similar impact on the jazz world because he added a full orchestra to his quintet and he puts Latin influences into American Jazz. This became popular afterwards, especially Brazilian Bosa Nova.   In Mile’s catalog of recordings it’s one of his many groundbreaking records that changed the direction of the jazz genre.  The man literally created sub genres of jazz several times.  

Pink Floyd used unprecedented studio techniques to really stretch the envelope of rock and they created a masterpiece.  

I can see a parallel between the two records.  

You a Music Man too? 

More of a South Pacific man myself. In my idealized form I would hope to be.

I did just re-set up my drumkit a week ago. While I can't play while the dog is in the house, the plan is to re-learn how to re-learn music as a good way to keep the brain sharp as midlife hits.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/6/2023 at 2:23 PM, North Buffalo said:

So news out Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynrd passed today... 😞

Very sad news.  He was only 71.  A hard life takes it's toll.

My Skynrd would include Ronnie, Allen Bob, Leon, Ed, Billy and Gary.  Toss in Atrimus for second drummer with Bob (The Allman Brothers always had 2 drummers) and Steve so that Ed could sometimes take on second base duties with Leon and sometimes guitar (on Freebird with his fantstic lead dual with Allen and Gary on slide and rythem).  And, of course, the Honkettes from 1975 onwards.

All gone, except Atrimus.  So sad.

Truth be told I have had no use for any version of the band after October 20, 1977.

Funny they weren't from Alabama atoll.  Jacksonville, Florida.

Fantastic band.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/6/2023 at 4:48 AM, North Buffalo said:

My cousin Chris just joined Spyro Gyra as their new key board player... Former keyboardist is in ill health and can no longer tour... I saw them at Geneseo in 1982.

Spyro Gyra used to play at the original Tralfamadore Cafe in the mid to late 70’s.  Cover charge $1. 

• Like (+1) 3

On 3/6/2023 at 12:35 PM, Night Train said:

RIP. Feeling old .

Was at Rich Stadium for Superfest in June 1977. Starz, Ted Nugent. Lynyrd Skynyrd and Blue Oyster Cult. 

I saw them in Rich Stadium.  Summerfest Concert Series.   July 26, 1974.  

Emerson, Lake, and Palmer

Lynyrd Skynyrd

James Gang

• Like (+1) 3

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing the news that Mudvayne, Coal Chamber, Gwar, Nonpoint and Butcher Babies are coming to Syracuse in August made ke think....what's the heaviest song you like that isn't thrash, or speedmetal. I'm talking nu-metal kinda stuff, but hard driving guttural metal. 

Mine is by far Bury Me In Smoke by ex Pantera lead man Phil Anselmo's band Down. 

At some point I lost my worn-out Iron Maiden "The Number of the Beast" cassette, 30-35 years ago, and only now replaced it with the remastered CD version. 

Listening to it this morning, I am astounded with how good it sounds and how well the music has aged. Just excellent. 

• Agree 1

When I was young, my favorite "super group" was Asia. (Still killer.)

Fast forward a few years (a few), my college frosh daughter's favorite super group is boygenius. Quite a different proposition. But still excellent. This song is fantastic. And the DIY / grrl power / sisterly love vibe of the accompanying music video makes me happy.

4 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

When I was young, my favorite "super group" was Asia. (Still killer.)

Fast forward a few years (a few), my college frosh daughter's favorite super group is boygenius. Quite a different proposition. But still excellent. This song is fantastic. And the DIY / grrl power / sisterly love vibe of the accompanying music video makes me happy.

Am I correct in assuming that because you used the term super group, it means they are stars from other known bands?

What makes them a supergroup? Or are they just good?

• Thanks (+1) 1

15 hours ago, SwampD said:

Am I correct in assuming that because you used the term super group, it means they are stars from other known bands?

What makes them a supergroup? Or are they just good?

They’re commonly referred to as a super group by an adoring media. So I’m happy to accept that as true. Phoebe (Fu*king) Bridgers is a big deal - that much I know. The other members of the band have established careers and catalogs of their own, evidently. In an “alt” space of some kind. The music industry is quite different now, too. I tried to capture all of that with “a different proposition.”

The song linked is excellent. 🤘 

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

They’re commonly referred to as a super group by an adoring media. So I’m happy to accept that as true. Phoebe (Fu*king) Bridgers is a big deal - that much I know. The other members of the band have established careers and catalogs of their own, evidently. In an “alt” space of some kind. The music industry is quite different now, too. I tried to capture all of that with “a different proposition.”

The song linked is excellent. 🤘 

I don’t hate it.

I’ve been groovin on this album lately, if somewhat less wholesome.

On 3/5/2023 at 11:55 PM, spndnchz said:

My father gave me his vinyl when I was about 18 yrs old. Headphones on and blunt. Sat there listening for 45 minutes. 

What are your favorites in his old vinyl collection?  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2023 at 11:24 AM, Claude Balls said:

Seeing the news that Mudvayne, Coal Chamber, Gwar, Nonpoint and Butcher Babies are coming to Syracuse in August made ke think....what's the heaviest song you like that isn't thrash, or speedmetal. I'm talking nu-metal kinda stuff, but hard driving guttural metal. 

Mine is by far Bury Me In Smoke by ex Pantera lead man Phil Anselmo's band Down. 

When I was young I bought the Black Sabbath Paranoid album, it was a new release and I heard the single cut on the radio and wanted to hear more. 

It was way before metal was called metal.  Before assigning music genres were even a thing. 

I never imagined that Metal would branch into so many sub-genres either.  I am not a metal fan BTW, but I don't like to rail on any music.   Enjoy!  

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Sounds like he cribbed the same beat that Mariah Carey's producer did for "Fantasy." I can't recall offhand whose song created the original. I will Google it later, if I think to do it.

The sample is Tom Tom Club - Genius of Love. And yes, it's the same sample Mariah used. 

• Thanks (+1) 1