darksabre

The Music Thread

This is an acoustic cover of a dash Berlin song that I did called waiting, usually more electronic, but I slowed it down and made it my own 🙂

• Like 2

Hard to believe that it has been 27 years today.  I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard the news.

A very nice tribute.

RIP, Freddie.  We Love You!!

Yep.  What a voice Freddie had.  My favorite was Brad Delp of Boston.  Again, hard to believe it's been 11 years since his passing.

Two of my favourite live songs ever.  They played these together often on tour.  I remember the Jazz, The Game and Hot Space tours.  Amazing shows, in largest part due to Freddie.

For some reason this is swimming around my head ...

Probaby because I put it there, while reading Woody's post about going to the game.  Lucky guy!!

It’s snowing here in VA, nuts to leaving the house.  Currently educating my daughter in the appreciation of music that isn’t awful.  This one came up, haven’t heard it in forever... 

Ooh, another one... 

Listened to this in my car ... 'Classic Queen' version.

Now watching and listening at my office.

One of my favourites and theirs too.  Always played live at every concert from 1975 onward.

I remember few shows in Toronto.  Fantastic.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
  • Like 1

Man, I love the Replacements (Alex Chilton video 2 replies above).

They were some serious drinkers.  Frontman Paul Westerberg would usually slur when introducing the band at the beginning of a show and it sounded like, "Hi, we're the Placemats."  So they were nicknamed the Mats for short ever since.  They showed up wasted for an SNL appearance and were never invited back.  They actually released an album of live covers they "performed" while *****-faced.  Most of them were incomplete, and they didn't know all the lyrics.  Songs like Iron Man and Saturday Night Special.  God awful torturous racket if you're not a fan, but utterly hilarious if you are.  They called it "The ***** Hits the Fans".  In spite of their issues, they did not lack for a sense of humor.  At one point they were driving to a gig and one of the guys' nephew had just committed suicide, so he decided to drive alone behind the other guys, who were drinking heavily all the way.  When they all arrived, the sober one recounted that the three guys drinking literally fell out of the car laughing so hysterically that it took them like 5 minutes to finally be able to explain why they were laughing so hard.  They had decided what to name their soon to be released album.  They decided on "Let It Be"!  This was only 14 years after the Beatles released their "Let It Be", so they knew this would be considered blasphemous by many.  One time in a recording studio they managed to get vomit on the 12-foot ceiling of one of the rooms.  The owner of the studio couldn't figure out how they managed to do that and actually lost sleep over it.  He finally concluded that one (or more) of them had barfed in his cupped hands and flung it up on the ceiling.

Regardless of all this debauchery, the Replacements were an amazing band, a true force in the 80's who influenced many future bands.  Paul Westerberg is a tremendous songwriter.  Check them out!

Edited by BagBoy
  • Like 2