The Music Thread

darksabre

The RnR Hall of Fame is kind of a weird beast when you consider its inductees. My distant ancestor Jimmy Rodgers is in there. Would you call him rock? Hell no. He was a country singer, known for yodeling- the Singing Brakeman. But you can call him and Woody Guthrie and some of those other guys predecessors/influences.

Tupac and NWA are in there. Not rock. You start to bend the meaning there- it's more about influential musicians who shaped the coming decades/fashion/culture than straight up "rock" which can be pretty narrowly defined.

Last time we were there, I remember having a long convo with dark about who would go in over the next few years. Radiohead was definitely one we chose- but I admit I didn't expect it to be this soon. Then you remember how long they've technically been around and ... yep. It fits. They revolutionized a whole side of music and spawned a million wee indie bands imitating their sound. Thom went on to have a pretty successful solo ride, too. I personally love Radiohead. Hail to the Thief and In Rainbows are among my favorite albums of all. 

We figured Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains would get in there soon- Pearl Jam was inducted last year. Someone like Madonna or Janet Jackson will def make it in quicker than some of their contemporaries- they were more popular among a general audience. I think we were surprised the Cure weren't in there yet. Give it 15-20 more years and pop stars like Arianna Grande will be joining folks like Britney Spears and Drake in the hallowed halls... and they'll beat good metal bands in because the niche was smaller.

Now get y'all's snobby music snoots untwisted and go listen to some of your fav music and enjoy the fact it's Friday. 

Edited by josie

1 minute ago, Sabel79 said:

I remember Joe Stummer being asked how he felt when Rolling Stone Magazine (I think it was RS) voted London Calling the top album of the 1980s.  His totally awesome reply ... 'I thought it came out in 1979'.  Totally Joe.  Love Joe.

London Calling is a a masterpiece, but IMO, not even their best work.

Man, coming up to 40 years ago.  I had just turned 15 a few month prior to the release.  I have to say that London Calling changed my life.

On 11/24/2018 at 4:21 PM, New Scotland (NS) said:

Hard to believe that it has been 27 years today.  I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard the news.

A very nice tribute.

RIP, Freddie.  We Love You!!

The greatest singer and front man of my lifetime. Hands down. Full stop.

11 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Dude, that's not even rock.  I'm not sure what it is, some kind of pop, but it's not rock.

6 hours ago, Weave said:

Yeah, rock is defined pretty loosely by the Hall.

As it should be. 

At the time this came out, I was like: HELL YEAH THEY ARE!

DuPwuBoUwAE7CnX.jpg

12 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

In honor of a great man who died 16 years ago yesterday... 

Thanks for posting this.  I really miss the wisdom of Joe.  IMO, there are few that can compare to the lyrics produced by Joe.

I really think that Sandinista is their best work.  The critics (mostly) be damned.  They (mostly) know nothing.

• Like (+1) 1

Finally decided to spend some real time digging through the records at the junk store in Eastern Hills mall. Found some real gems. Walked out with:

ELP - Tarkus

Iron Butterfly - Metamorphosis

Ozark Mountain Daredevils - Over the Lake

Three unopened Loretta Lynn albums

Another copy of The Blues Brothers (why not?)

Genesis - Invisible Touch 

The Outlaws - Ghost Riders

The very important Marshall Tucker self titled 

And a bunch of great comedy albums from Richard Pryor, George Carlin and Naitonal Lampoon. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, LTS said:

Peter Gabriel is one of my music icons... 

If I was asked to sit down and peel away at a long list to ultimately come up with my top 5 albums of all time ... The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway would be #5.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
I bet you are dying to know what the other 4 are, eh?

4 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

If I was asked to sit down and peel away at a long list to ultimately come up with my top 5 albums of all time ... The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway would be #5.

Yes.. in fact.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Really difficult to narrow down to 5.  And that album could be the 5th.

My 5 would include:

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (Shine On You Crazy Diamond is incredible)

Triumph - Never Surrender (have to have something to work out to, though have the playlist reorganized)

Probably would include:

Toy Matinee - Toy Matinee (nobody's ever heard of it, but it opens with a track about the 1st Gulf War & includes a tribute to Salvador Dali)

The Refreshments - Fizzy, Fuzzy, Big, & Bouncey

Pearl Jam - Ten

(Guess the 4th one's hard to pick as well.)

But that 5th one is so hard to choose: The Clash - London Calling, The Beatles - Sargent Pepper, Rush - Signals, Bob Segar & the Silver Bullet Band - Live Bullet, The Church - Starfish, Yes - Fragile, Vince Gueraldi Trio - A Charlie Brown Christmas, April Wine - The Nature of the Beast, Donald Fagan - The Nightfly, Queen - The Game or A Night at the Opera, The Who - Quadrophenia, Heart - Dreamboat AnnieRobert Cray - Strong Persuader, Stevie Ray Vaughn - Couldn't Stand the Weather, Chalk Circle - As the Crow Flies, The Gin Blossoms - New Miserable Experience, Jon & Vangelis - The Friends of Mr. Cairo, and at least 30 other albums I know I'll regret having not mentioned.

• Like (+1) 1

These guys would come to North Lawrence to a little bar...I forget the name. I was preteen, working in the woods like a man, and going out like a man. Things are different up North. Super cool dudes. My friends Mom would smoke them up!?

During the years of the Horde festivals they would recognize us and want to burn one...

I agree @Taro T, 5 is really tough ... so many, but not really thinking long and hard may make it easier in a way.

So, in a particular order ...

5.)  Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

4.)  The Allman Brothers Band - Live at Fillmore East

3.)  Bob Marley - Exodus

2.)  Pink Floyd -  Meddle (their finest collaborative work before the creative domination of Waters by Wish You Were Here, which is a very good album)

1.)  The Clash - Sandinista (shout out to @Sabel79)

... 'and there you have it'

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Upon reflection on my post above, some of you may be surprised that you see no Queen album in my top 5.  Believe it or not, there is not one Queen album where all the songs would be in my top 5, which is how I approached the above exercise.

So, if I may ask for a 4 a) ... that would be Queen - Live Killers.  I would just close my eyes and see Freddie on stage.

5 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Upon reflection on my post above, some of you may be surprised that you see no Queen album in my top 5.  Believe it or not, there is not one Queen album where all the songs would be in my top 5, which is how I approached the above exercise.

So, if I may ask for a 4 a) ... that would be Queen - Live Killers.  I would just close my eyes and see Freddie on stage.

I believe that.  Queen has many excellent songs, but overall the albums also have clunkers.  Mind you I don't know that I could tell you the songs on each one anymore. I basically just playlist the songs I want to hear and stop thinking about albums these days.  Also, having "compilation" albums is a bit of a help, but i would exclude those....  if I had to think about my list.. which I figure I should...

Porcupine Tree - The Incident (Steven Wilson is incredible and has a ton of great songs, but this one concept album I think captures so many facets of his talent it's what I would pick)

Pink Floyd - The Wall  (it's probably not their greatest, but the impact it had on me is why it ranks in my top 5)

Miles Davis - ***** Brew (put this on and float away)

REM - Fables of the Reconstruction (and torn with Murmur or Reckoning)

Metallica - Master of Puppets (although I'm torn between this and ...And Justice For All or Ride the Lightning)

There are others....

The problem with Peter Gabriel is that, like Queen, there are some songs on each album that I just don't like and other songs that I think are some of the best things I could ever listen to so it kind of averages it down.  This is true for others as well I think