The Sabres need to trade one of their top forwards...

LabattBlue

Any credibility you have been gaining just went bye-bye with that statement. ;)

Roy never floats. Pomminstein does... a lot.

And it's a shame that he has to admit fault as often as he does.

I agree with you. The one thing I noticed about Pomminstein this year is how unnoticeable he was for a majority of the games. Pomminstein likes to lackadaisically meander around the ice.

Any credibility you have been gaining just went bye-bye with that statement. ;)

Roy never floats. Pomminstein does... a lot.

And it's a shame that he has to admit fault as often as he does.

Roy was nearly invisible for the past 10 games. I wouldn't be too sure about that statement.

I wouldn't part ways with Roy either, but that has more to due with his contractual advantages more than his overall attitude.

Roy offers a huge bang for the buck, capable of putting up 60-80 points per season at only 4 million dollars. But once again, I feel that Pommers overall work ethic and character is greater than Roy's. Roy still complains and yaps at the refs, and despite the face he puts on for the camera, I feel he lets his ego get in the way of his play. Roy is still an important part of this team, and I would part with ways with Stafford and Connolly before Roy.

However, once again, Im more comfortable with Pommers character and attitude.

Roy was nearly invisible for the past 10 games. I wouldn't be too sure about that statement.

I wouldn't part ways with Roy either, but that has more to due with his contractual advantages more than his overall attitude.

Roy offers a huge bang for the buck, capable of putting up 60-80 points per season at only 4 million dollars. But once again, I feel that Pommers overall work ethic and character is greater than Roy's. Roy still complains and yaps at the refs, and despite the face he puts on for the camera, I feel he lets his ego get in the way of his play. Roy is still an important part of this team, and I would part with ways with Stafford and Connolly before Roy.

However, once again, Im more comfortable with Pommers character and attitude.

JSYK I'm just stirring it up right now because I don't want to see either leave, but why do you have a problem with Roy's 10 game disappearing act(which I disagree with BTW) but you are okay with Pomminstein's 30 plus games of being invisible throughout the year?

I remember getting on Jason in November and got flamed for it. In many a GDT since then, his floating has been a topic.

Roy, Pomminstein, and Tallinder for a #1 Centerman...

Great, another "take my bag of trash and gimme your new T.V. post".

Come on man, if we know these guys aren't cutting it, what makes you think anyone else is gonna give up their #1 Center for them??

We're better off doing what someone else already posted, dropping 1 or 2 skilled guys for some tough gritty 2nd/3rd line guys and building off of that.

Our true problem is NOT scoring, it's the amount of time spent in our own zone. We couldn't clear the zone. It was like watching a bum clean your bird poop infested windshield with spit and a greasy cloth. It didn't work!!! We need guys that are gonna make people pay the price for camping in front of Miller, guys that finish checks, and D-men who play the body instead of the puck.

This is why Hank needs to go, and trust me, he is NOT the only one who was afraid of contact. The pussification that has infested this team needs to be exterminated. Then, and only then, will we see any improvement to this team.

If change is going to be made it cannot be half hearted. At present the three top assets team have are , a number one draft pick, Ryan Miller and Jhonas Enroth . Its my opinion team need package either Miller or Enroth with first round pick , move up in draft to at least number five , select a player like Brayden Schenn, sign Leafs current backup Gerber for next season to allow time for Enroth to break in slowly. Next year perhaps a year much like this one, life and death to make playoffs , but step in right direction.

Team needs a leader and it almost impossible to air lift one in from elsewhere , team is going to flounder or be mediocre until one is found.

Enroth would be a gamble , but in order to make effective change and get player or players who could effect change, to get best , the best needed be offered in return. Enroth would have a less expensive contract for a number of years, Millers value is likely as high as it is going to get based on what he is surrounded with.

Weren't U the one saying "Good! Now all the debbie downers around here can shut the hell up! " when they signed him early? Live by the sword die by the sword. Sheath thy weapon.

Tell you one thing, I'll be pissed if Detroit signs Franzen for the same or less than Pommer. I'd love to see Franzen on this team. 28 years old, played with the big boys in Detroit, I think he's like 6'-3" and 220?

Franzen is a guy I would love to see in the Blue and Gold - bigtime. I don't have my hopes up, but there is of course a glimmer due to Detroit's cap status. I think they somehow manage to sign him (due to their track record) but it will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

If change is going to be made it cannot be half hearted. At present the three top assets team have are , a number one draft pick, Ryan Miller and Jhonas Enroth . Its my opinion team need package either Miller or Enroth with first round pick , move up in draft to at least number five , select a player like Brayden Schenn, sign Leafs current backup Gerber for next season to allow time for Enroth to break in slowly. Next year perhaps a year much like this one, life and death to make playoffs , but step in right direction.

Team needs a leader and it almost impossible to air lift one in from elsewhere , team is going to flounder or be mediocre until one is found.

Enroth would be a gamble , but in order to make effective change and get player or players who could effect change, to get best , the best needed be offered in return. Enroth would have a less expensive contract for a number of years, Millers value is likely as high as it is going to get based on what he is surrounded with.

Welcome to the board, but there is zero chance of this happening.

Random thoughts (not by Jack Handy):

Lack of scoring from our D is a huge, hidden problem. Our guys just cannot score. Boyle and Green each had more goals this year than our entire D platoon. Blasting wide from the point, shooting high when we need it low, etc... Not a one of 'em is remotely an offensive threat. I'd want to keep Butler and Sekera; the rest can go.

A lot of you want to run Connolly out of town. All he ever does w/ the puck is exactly the right thing. He had a hand in a lot of our goals down the stretch. If we had players good enough to anticipate his passes, we'd be in good shape.

Roy is talented, but b/c of his speed, many confuse that w/ effort. I think he's not a hard worker, and if one of our top guys need to be traded, he'd be my pick. And when you're looking at his numbers, remember that he was our #1 center for most of the year, and got oodles of PP time, and our best wingers.

Hecht is done. PLEASE cut him.

Pommer did not have great year, obviously, but he contributes in a lot of ways. And check out his assists. Keep him.

I love Lindy, but IF he goes, bring back Ted Nolan and his attitude. His teams had an edge when he was here that is gone now.

Finally, remember- this team is still young, certainly the forwards. With no changes at all, they w/b better next year (but we need better offense from the D).....I watched every game, and that is what I saw. Fire away....

Franzen is a guy I would love to see in the Blue and Gold - bigtime. I don't have my hopes up, but there is of course a glimmer due to Detroit's cap status. I think they somehow manage to sign him (due to their track record) but it will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Franzen signed for like 10 or 20 yrs according to reports. Stay under the cap with those years.

JSYK I'm just stirring it up right now because I don't want to see either leave, but why do you have a problem with Roy's 10 game disappearing act(which I disagree with BTW) but you are okay with Pomminstein's 30 plus games of being invisible throughout the year?

I remember getting on Jason in November and got flamed for it. In many a GDT since then, his floating has been a topic.

Lol, you do make a point. I guess all I was trying to do was bring up a discussion on the character of our core forwards.

Either way, Id rather see Connolly dished out first, hopefully for a good blueliner.

I really believe that the Sabres need to trade one of their top forwards(Roy, Vanek, Pominville, Connolly or Stafford) in an attempt to "wake up" the others. This is above and beyond trying to deal Hecht and Tallinder, which is a given.

I don't want to see a Joe Thornton type trade where you get quantity for quality, but rather a 1 for 1 swap. Maybe you get less offense, but more leadership, grit or experience in return. Maybe you swap one of these guys along with a pick for a true top pair defenseman.

I don't know what the perfect answer is, but the status quo is just not working. In a league where more than half the teams make the playoffs and you miss the cut two years in a row, something has to give.

I may agree with trading ONE of them. But I still don't think that that is any great solution.The problem with this team is not attitude or grit. Its talent. They don't have quite enough of it. They need to add 2 very good players instead of losing 2 very good players...which has been the norm and which is why they are a 9 team instead of a 3 or 4 seed.

Damn man, i see all these threads about this player and that player... first and foremost i'd get rid of Ruff. Than let the new guy make the decision on WTF to do with his players. It's been fun but he's got to go. I mean teams worse than us have dumped their coaches, teams better than us have dumped their coaches, so why can't the Sabres?

The Sabres don't really have a lot of scrubs, so instead of worrying about dumping half the team i would get rid of the guy that is suppose to coach em. Yup, bye bye Ruff.

Really?

Lol, you do make a point. I guess all I was trying to do was bring up a discussion on the character of our core forwards.

Either way, Id rather see Connolly dished out first, hopefully for a good blueliner.

Absolutely. Connolly's gotta go. He's an energy vampire. Every time I see his face it's like a gray cloud entered the room.

yea really.

This team managed to stay in the hunt till the very end, most teams can't say that, especially after losing their #1 goalie.

If that's good enough for you, great. I expect more. (The Devils lost their No.1 goalie for over 3 months)

I really believe that the Sabres need to trade one of their top forwards(Roy, Vanek, Pominville, Connolly or Stafford) in an attempt to "wake up" the others. This is above and beyond trying to deal Hecht and Tallinder, which is a given.

I don't want to see a Joe Thornton type trade where you get quantity for quality, but rather a 1 for 1 swap. Maybe you get less offense, but more leadership, grit or experience in return. Maybe you swap one of these guys along with a pick for a true top pair defenseman.

I don't know what the perfect answer is, but the status quo is just not working. In a league where more than half the teams make the playoffs and you miss the cut two years in a row, something has to give.

Come on are you serious?

What do you think any of these will fetch in return?

I can't believe you think that we could get three players for any of them? where do you get off

even comparing them to Thornton?

Roy is the best of the lot which would probably get you a decent player back.

Nobody is touching Vanek, due to his contract.

Pominville.....what do you think we would honestly get for him, considering he plays soft, has fairly hefty contract and

production was not there.

Same for Connelly as above, but add injury prone.

Stafford has not shown anything other than glimpses of talent, but it quickly fades. If I was another team, I would definately take a shot at him, but please, They are not giving up much.

Its time you stop over evaluating your own team and get real.

Honestly, the trade value for Connolly right now is high. Now would be the ideal time to ship him out. For Connolly however, instead of doing an offensive swap(I dont see many teams giving up a offensive talent for liability TC), it may be better to trade him for a solid defensive blueliner after modifying our blueline (i.e. trading Tallinder and/or letting Spacek walk). I still like the idea of shipping Connolly to Columbus for Rostislav Klesla. They need a center for Rick Nash, we need a gritty hard hitting dman. It works.

Stafford should also be traded. His tendency to disappear for 10 game stretches at a time only hurts the team. He could fetch us a decent veteran offensive forward via trade, or we could always dump him for picks.

To replace the offensive gap after losing Connolly(for a defensive blueliner) and Stafford(for picks), we would be in a good position to sign a impact player in the UFA market.

I think the Carolina game really showed how the Sabres need to organize their offense in order to win; 2 talented scoring lines, 2 gritty grind lines. The Brian Burke model of hockey. If you aren't a gritty player, then you better be skilled enough to play in the top two lines. If you aren't, you're wasting a valuable roster spot.

I loved seeing Paetsch and Ellis up last night. Those are two hungry players that will go out and give it their all along the boards. I wouldn't mind seeing those two stay up (at least until Kaleta returns). The lines of Goose Moore Mair, Ellis Paetsch Paille provided excellent, excellent grinding play. Modeling the bottom two lines in that fashion should become the standard model the Sabres use against Boston and for next season.

good stuff... but we do still need 2 more very good skill players AND some grit..

Come on are you serious?

What do you think any of these will fetch in return?

I can't believe you think that we could get three players for any of them? where do you get off

even comparing them to Thornton?

Roy is the best of the lot which would probably get you a decent player back.

Nobody is touching Vanek, due to his contract.

Pominville.....what do you think we would honestly get for him, considering he plays soft, has fairly hefty contract and

production was not there.

Same for Connelly as above, but add injury prone.

Stafford has not shown anything other than glimpses of talent, but it quickly fades. If I was another team, I would definately take a shot at him, but please, They are not giving up much.

Its time you stop over evaluating your own team and get real.

A) If you read more carefully, you will see he isn't advocating a three for one swap.

B) Roy, with his contract, would be very attractive to a team looking to dump a higher priced guy due to being up against the cap. Did you know that Calgary had to dress only 15 players the last 2 games because of cap restrictions? There are other teams that will be in a similiar predicament next year.

C) Now that Vanek's first 2 years are over, his contract is very affordable at only $6.4 million per year.

Honestly, the trade value for Connolly right now is high. Now would be the ideal time to ship him out. For Connolly however, instead of doing an offensive swap(I dont see many teams giving up a offensive talent for liability TC), it may be better to trade him for a solid defensive blueliner after modifying our blueline (i.e. trading Tallinder and/or letting Spacek walk). I still like the idea of shipping Connolly to Columbus for Rostislav Klesla. They need a center for Rick Nash, we need a gritty hard hitting dman. It works.

Stafford should also be traded. His tendency to disappear for 10 game stretches at a time only hurts the team. He could fetch us a decent veteran offensive forward via trade, or we could always dump him for picks.

To replace the offensive gap after losing Connolly(for a defensive blueliner) and Stafford(for picks), we would be in a good position to sign a impact player in the UFA market.

I think the Carolina game really showed how the Sabres need to organize their offense in order to win; 2 talented scoring lines, 2 gritty grind lines. The Brian Burke model of hockey. If you aren't a gritty player, then you better be skilled enough to play in the top two lines. If you aren't, you're wasting a valuable roster spot.

I loved seeing Paetsch and Ellis up last night. Those are two hungry players that will go out and give it their all along the boards. I wouldn't mind seeing those two stay up (at least until Kaleta returns). The lines of Goose Moore Mair, Ellis Paetsch Paille provided excellent, excellent grinding play. Modeling the bottom two lines in that fashion should become the standard model the Sabres use against Boston and for next season.

Great post!!! :thumbsup:

Great post!!! :thumbsup:

stafford and connolly for a Dman and picks? ? thats insane. And who is the quality UFA thats available ? Terrible idea. No problem in aiming to upgraDE the blueline, but who is gonna replace spaceks minutes? klesla? ok then who fills in for hank ? please dont say some guy from portland, butler might be ready to play more but hes still green and made a ton of mistakes.

Archived