Hope Springs Eternal

johnyvegas

I fully understand the huge and unlikely task ahead for this team. But i seem to recall that the consensus around these parts, with ten games remaining, was that we would need to go 8-2 to have a chance. Since that time we've gathered 7 of a possible 8 points. Obviously without racking up one of those '2' assumed regulation losses. As soon as we dropped that point in Atlanta, everyone is ready to chuck the season. WHY? Afraid of a letdown if you get your hopes up? Helllo?!? Only one team wins the cup each year.. only one team wins the superbowl each year. EVERYONE else is let down. As Buffalo sports fans, every season, every year, every team my whole life has essentially been a let down. Some greater than others but come on.. we've never won anything. Why follow these teams at all if you're afraid of being let down? If we are not eliminated, there's still as much hope as there was when they dropped the puck on opening day. Frustrating as it's been at times.. i enjoy every game and I'll always get my hopes up and hopefully one day, one year, at the end of the season, there will be no let down and won't that be sweet! I can't wait til tomorrows game!

I fully understand the huge and unlikely task ahead for this team. But i seem to recall that the consensus around these parts, with ten games remaining, was that we would need to go 8-2 to have a chance. Since that time we've gathered 7 of a possible 8 points. Obviously without racking up one of those '2' assumed regulation losses. As soon as we dropped that point in Atlanta, everyone is ready to chuck the season. WHY? Afraid of a letdown if you get your hopes up? Helllo?!? Only one team wins the cup each year.. only one team wins the superbowl each year. EVERYONE else is let down. As Buffalo sports fans, every season, every year, every team my whole life has essentially been a let down. Some greater than others but come on.. we've never won anything. Why follow these teams at all if you're afraid of being let down? If we are not eliminated, there's still as much hope as there was when they dropped the puck on opening day. Frustrating as it's been at times.. i enjoy every game and I'll always get my hopes up and hopefully one day, one year, at the end of the season, there will be no let down and won't that be sweet! I can't wait til tomorrows game!

I'm not fraid to be let down. I just want to be entertained, but the current roster is far from entertaining.

And no, there's not still as much hope as in October, seeing as we could decide our own fate in Otctober, and now we need other teams to slump badly to even have a fighting chance. The two situations are nowhere near comparable.

Johny, did you happen to look at the scores from last night? Mtl 5-1 over the Isles. How hopeful are ya now?

This team is done. Don't even bother watching tonight, I know I won't be.

Ovehckin should have fun against this bunch of losers, I bet he nets at least 2.

Oooh Aaah Sabres on the golf course, Oooh Aaah Sabres on the golf course!

Johny, did you happen to look at the scores from last night? Mtl 5-1 over the Isles. How hopeful are ya now?

This team is done. Don't even bother watching tonight, I know I won't be.

Ovehckin should have fun against this bunch of losers, I bet he nets at least 2.

Oooh Aaah Sabres on the golf course, Oooh Aaah Sabres on the golf course!

While I agree that things are very bleak, the more salient game(at least at this point) last night was the Rangers losing to Carolina. Sabres have two game in hand on NYR, and one on Fla. If Sabres were to win the games in hand(not saying they will, but it is a necessary predicate for any chance at the playoffs)-- and say Florida wins its game in hand on NYR-- with four games left for all 3 teams, NYR and Fla would have 89 points, and the Sabres 87. That is how much of their own destiny they control. Then they need a single loss(help from other teams) from both NYR and FLA, and they control their own destiny.

I figure the Sabres can have one overtime loss yet and still make the playoffs. They need 11 of final 12 points to have a realistic chance of making the playoffs...CD

I'm not fraid to be let down. I just want to be entertained, but the current roster is far from entertaining.

And no, there's not still as much hope as in October, seeing as we could decide our own fate in Otctober, and now we need other teams to slump badly to even have a fighting chance. The two situations are nowhere near comparable.

Far from entertaining? I know we all like to win.. but is winning the only thing that makes a game entertaining? There have been a small handfull of games where the team has not shown up but i remember a time when the first 25 games of a season would be so boring i wouldn't even watch. Nothing but slow coasting around and going through the motions on the ice. It was maddening to watch. I rarely see that anymore, the season on a whole is FAR MORE entertaining than say before the Ruff area. Win or lose i almost always enjoy the game.

And this notion of 'deciding our own fate' is stupid. It works much better for a sport like football where there are so few games. With 82 games, it doesnt take many losses for your own fate (ie. playoffs or not, first place position, presidents trophy etc) to be dependent on the losses of the other teams. At what point in the season is it appropriate to say we long longer control our own destiny?

Granted, we need to win most if not all of our games.. but cripes! the season isn't over, plenty of things can happen.

Far from entertaining? I know we all like to win.. but is winning the only thing that makes a game entertaining? There have been a small handfull of games where the team has not shown up but i remember a time when the first 25 games of a season would be so boring i wouldn't even watch. Nothing but slow coasting around and going through the motions on the ice. It was maddening to watch. I rarely see that anymore, the season on a whole is FAR MORE entertaining than say before the Ruff area. Win or lose i almost always enjoy the game.And this notion of 'deciding our own fate' is stupid. It works much better for a sport like football where there are so few games. With 82 games, it doesnt take many losses for your own fate (ie. playoffs or not, first place position, presidents trophy etc) to be dependent on the losses of the other teams. At what point in the season is it appropriate to say we long longer control our own destiny?

Granted, we need to win most if not all of our games.. but cripes! the season isn't over, plenty of things can happen.

I admire your optimism Johny, I really do. The problem is that much more often than not this season, I've felt cheated by this team and its effort for 60 minutes.

I like what you're thinking. I don't think we could catch the Habs at this point, but getting the NYR and FL is still quite possible....... IFF we win tonight AND tomorrow night. That is, if and only if.

And that's going to be difficult. The Caps are the Caps, Brodeur is Brodeur, and our team is the Sabres. I know the Devils have been awful their past few games, but they'll get out of their funk eventually.

Rags play at B's tomorrow, FL hosting ATL tonight.

Let's talk in 36 hours.

Go Sabres!

EDIT: meant to say.... the reason I jumped on the wagon saying the season was pretty much done for after the ATL game was because I'd missed 4 out of the previously 5, and saw just how far-fetched it would be for this group to take it to the next level...or however many levels better they need to play at.

I admire your optimism Johny, I really do. The problem is that much more often than not this season, I've felt cheated by this team and its effort for 60 minutes.

I know exactly how you feel. I've felt the same way. But I?ve found that with a bit of thinking back, it's like that every year. Plenty of frustrating games (some years more than others) but it seems that as long as we make the playoffs, all the lack of effort games during the season are forgotten. If we make it this year.. There won't be any posts here reminiscing about how we almost blew it.. or all those lack of effort games. Everyone will be fired up..and celebrating. I guess I?m just lamenting the fact that somehow by adding a potential 4-7 more games to the season, all the frustration is gone and forgiven. Just seems fickle or something. I say, hope for the best and enjoy the ride. Ups, down and whatever else... I don't think I'm overly optimistic, I just enjoy watching hockey and hate when it's over.

Far from entertaining? I know we all like to win.. but is winning the only thing that makes a game entertaining? There have been a small handfull of games where the team has not shown up but i remember a time when the first 25 games of a season would be so boring i wouldn't even watch. Nothing but slow coasting around and going through the motions on the ice. It was maddening to watch. I rarely see that anymore, the season on a whole is FAR MORE entertaining than say before the Ruff area. Win or lose i almost always enjoy the game.

And this notion of 'deciding our own fate' is stupid. It works much better for a sport like football where there are so few games. With 82 games, it doesnt take many losses for your own fate (ie. playoffs or not, first place position, presidents trophy etc) to be dependent on the losses of the other teams. At what point in the season is it appropriate to say we long longer control our own destiny?

You lost me.

Do you dispute the fact that when the games played column says zero, every team in the league has a hand in whether or not they make the playoffs? It's easy really - Win 82 games, you're guaranteed to make the playoffs. We all know that doesn't happen, but we also know it takes a lot less than 82 wins to get there.

The only people who decide when "it's appropriate", are the Sabres. They decided that when they lost enough points so that them making the playoffs started requiring other teams to lose games, that are not against the Sabres.

The Sabres don't have a hand in deciding the outcome of those games, thus they can no longer decide their own fate, they need other teams to help them make the playoffs.

Is this stupid? Maybe, but then it's a stupid fact.

Win 82 games, you're guaranteed to make the playoffs. We all know that doesn't happen, but we also know it takes a lot less than 82 wins to get there.

The only people who decide when "it's appropriate", are the Sabres. They decided that when they lost enough points so that them making the playoffs started requiring other teams to lose games, that are not against the Sabres.

The Sabres don't have a hand in deciding the outcome of those games, thus they can no longer decide their own fate, they need other teams to help them make the playoffs.

Is this stupid? Maybe, but then it's a stupid fact.

Look, I understand what you are saying. The point is that there a million scenarios to make or miss the playoffs once you get about halfway into the season. You technically control your own fate so long as you dont "require other teams to lose games, that are not against the Sabres." So hypothetical scenario... say you've got 4 games against the Ranger left and if you win all four, you'd pass the Rangers and be in a playoff position. You control your own destiny. But you could still win all four and lose some other game that drops you out. It just seems that this notion of controling your fate only starts to be discussed when it gets near the end of the season while these scenarios are playing out all season long. Even now:

If Sabres were to win the games in hand(not saying they will, but it is a necessary predicate for any chance at the playoffs)-- and say Florida wins its game in hand on NYR-- with four games left for all 3 teams, NYR and Fla would have 89 points, and the Sabres 87. That is how much of their own destiny they control. Then they need a single loss(help from other teams) from both NYR and FLA, and they control their own destiny.

Not really what i would call 'slump badly to even have a fighting chance'.

It's just that at any point in the season.. game 1, or with 20 games left you may be able to say "if we win the rest.. we're in". But we know that's nearly impossible, you almost always need other teams to lose to help you. I guess it just becomes more likely that you can 'win out' with fewer games left. I dunno, Sorry if this doesn't make sense. Maybe someone else can explain my position better.

Look, I understand what you are saying. The point is that there a million scenarios to make or miss the playoffs once you get about halfway into the season. You technically control your own fate so long as you dont "require other teams to lose games, that are not against the Sabres." So hypothetical scenario... say you've got 4 games against the Ranger left and if you win all four, you'd pass the Rangers and be in a playoff position. You control your own destiny. But you could still win all four and lose some other game that drops you out. It just seems that this notion of controling your fate only starts to be discussed when it gets near the end of the season while these scenarios are playing out all season long. Even now:

Not really what i would call 'slump badly to even have a fighting chance'.

It's just that at any point in the season.. game 1, or with 20 games left you may be able to say "if we win the rest.. we're in". But we know that's nearly impossible, you almost always need other teams to lose to help you. I guess it just becomes more likely that you can 'win out' with fewer games left. I dunno, Sorry if this doesn't make sense. Maybe someone else can explain my position better.

Sure it does. You need around 94 points to make the playoffs most years, out of a possible 164. You don't need 164 points because other teams lose. So "controlling your own destiny" at bottom simply means outperforming 7 other teams to make the playoffs. Right now, the Sabres chances of doing that is much smaller than it was in October because the window of time to outperform other teams over 82 games has dwindled, and we have ground to make up--so there is little margin for error. Just like a horse race, making up 3 lengths 50 yards from the wire is much harder than making it up at the top of the stretch--but the task is the same...CD

I rarely see that anymore, the season on a whole is FAR MORE entertaining than say before the Ruff area. Win or lose i almost always enjoy the game.

Are you serious? The two year Ted Nolan era(which preceded Ruff) was by far some of the most entertaining hockey win or lose in Sabres history.

Are you serious? The two year Ted Nolan era(which preceded Ruff) was by far some of the most entertaining hockey win or lose in Sabres history.

OK.. i guess i should have included the nolan era as well. That was terrific stuff. I guess i was thinking back a little further in recalling season after season of coasting flamingos for the first 25 games. Ted was great.

That's what I like about you Blue. I have a deep amount of respect for you but sometimes we are on polar opposites. For me the two years after the lockout were far more entertaining then anything during the Nolan era.

The best, however, were years 3 through 5 during the team's infancy.

A final note on the Nolan era, in my opinion, and I stress my opinion, that is an era that has grown legendary in spite of the facts. I remember a team that relied on a goaltender and b.s. motto as the hardest working team in hockey. To hear people talk about it you would think that there were five fights a night and that team's came into Buffalo fearing for their lives.

That's what I like about you Blue. I have a deep amount of respect for you but sometimes we are on polar opposites. For me the two years after the lockout were far more entertaining then anything during the Nolan era.

The best, however, were years 3 through 5 during the team's infancy.

A final note on the Nolan era, in my opinion, and I stress my opinion, that is an era that has grown legendary in spite of the facts. I remember a team that relied on a goaltender and b.s. motto as the hardest working team in hockey. To hear people talk about it you would think that there were five fights a night and that team's came into Buffalo fearing for their lives.

I agree with you. I'd have to say that the whole Hasek era was great for winning, but some of the most boring hockey I have ever watched. I wish the LaFontaie/Mogilny era had gone on a few years longer and overlapped with the Hasek era.

Given up on the team, NO, you can take the boy out of Bflo but Not the Bflo out of the boy.

Still lurking, still reading , still watching, however I have given up allot of the passion or as described as emotional investment in the outcome, detached so to speak.

Way too many excuses, non chalant play and different passengers night in and night out for me to get wrapped up in it if they were not. It has made it a little easier to watch. I am looking for who is stepping up or not and seems to care and at least put in the max effort night in and night out. I do like what I've been seeing from some of the players really trying to play through it and I'll be interested to see if FO follows suit and rewards/builds around that core and adds what IMO seem's to be missing,,,, But that is a topic we can delve into more in the off-season.....

So six games left, come-on Sabres show me who wants it and is a good core to build on and hope springs enternal the FO will tweak and add the missing ingrediants.... and now for me it's on to be being a parent for 2 boys and coaching some youth baseball with eternal hope if I can teach anything is to have fun and when you decide a play a game to do it with enthusiasm....

Archived