Hope Springs Eternal

johnyvegas

That's what I like about you Blue. I have a deep amount of respect for you but sometimes we are on polar opposites. For me the two years after the lockout were far more entertaining then anything during the Nolan era.

The best, however, were years 3 through 5 during the team's infancy.

A final note on the Nolan era, in my opinion, and I stress my opinion, that is an era that has grown legendary in spite of the facts. I remember a team that relied on a goaltender and b.s. motto as the hardest working team in hockey. To hear people talk about it you would think that there were five fights a night and that team's came into Buffalo fearing for their lives.

I loved the Nolan era. It was a soap opera but always exciting. Hasek at his peak. Ray, May, Barnaby, Boughner, Peca. Short on talent but our current team could use some of the backbone that team had. I don't think I missed one of their visits to Philly. There was a palpable HATRED of the Fly-boy faithful of the Sabres then.

That said--the two years following the lockout were the best HOCKEY and most entertaining Sabres I've ever seen. K-Gun offense on ice.

Given up on the team, NO, you can take the boy out of Bflo but Not the Bflo out of the boy.

Still lurking, still reading , still watching, however I have given up allot of the passion or as described as emotional investment in the outcome, detached so to speak.

Way too many excuses, non chalant play and different passengers night in and night out for me to get wrapped up in it if they were not. It has made it a little easier to watch. I am looking for who is stepping up or not and seems to care and at least put in the max effort night in and night out. I do like what I've been seeing from some of the players really trying to play through it and I'll be interested to see if FO follows suit and rewards/builds around that core and adds what IMO seem's to be missing,,,, But that is a topic we can delve into more in the off-season.....

So six games left, come-on Sabres show me who wants it and is a good core to build on and hope springs enternal the FO will tweak and add the missing ingrediants.... and now for me it's on to be being a parent for 2 boys and coaching some youth baseball with eternal hope if I can teach anything is to have fun and when you decide a play a game to do it with enthusiasm....

Congratulations on your 1000th post. A beauty to boot.

Congratulations on your 1000th post. A beauty to boot.

Wow thanks, ya know I didn't even realize I was sitting on that 999 for so long.. But once again the team last night reminded me why...

"If we would have worked like we did in the third, it would have been a different game, that's for sure," MacArthur said. "It's too bad. We had a really good opportunity there to gain some ground on the Rangers. It's tough to let that one slip away."

The mantra for this team for the season right there to be sure........

Hey in case any PO hockey tickets come my way here in town you interested in actually watching some NHL playoff hockey ?

Let me know..

That's what I like about you Blue. I have a deep amount of respect for you but sometimes we are on polar opposites. For me the two years after the lockout were far more entertaining then anything during the Nolan era.

My point was that the poster said that the years preceding Ruff were boring. I'm not saying the Nolan era was the best and I agree that the mid 70's run along with 05-06 and 06-07 were good times for the most part.

Archived