GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Eleven

Well, somebody had to pick up the slack at a time we'd rather stangle ourselves with it. I salute your fortitude. Therefore:

Sabres: 8

Philly: 0

Stafford with a 'trick. Goose with another pair (he's due for his multi-goal game).

GO SABRES!!!

I have nothing to say about the sabres anymore, too many times have I drank the Kool Aid. I hope Cater and Richard each get hat tricks but with shorthanded goals and Marty somehow scores an empty netter. Yes its that bad of a day today.

No real prediction for this game, just ask one thing.

I don't want to hear after a lackluster effort or in this past game, unbelievably lackluster effort, Lindy saying, we need to get pucks deep, need to win puck battles, etc. All year long, the same thing. We know these things, your players obviously aren't responding. Let's not sugar coat it, your players need to play with heart, period. They need to give a damn, and at some points I question if some of them do. And so, every game they get another chance to prove me wrong, here's hoping tonight is that game. GO SABRES!

If nothing else, we get to watch the third jerseys instead of the slugs ...

... yeah, I'm grasping for straws.

Flyers are a tough team. A win wouldn't be guaranteed in a strong, 60-minute effort. However, I would guarantee a loss with anything less. No excuses. Lay it all on table. If they lose, they better be collapsing on the ice at the end of the game with nothing left to give, because a couple of more losses and they'll be nothing left to fight for.

I have nothing to say about the sabres anymore, too many times have I drank the Kool Aid. I hope Cater and Richard each get hat tricks but with shorthanded goals and Marty somehow scores an empty netter. Yes its that bad of a day today.

Now that is some seriously funny stuff! We need more of it! More I say! How about Marty scores that empty netter on a breakaway?

GO SABRES!!!

If nothing else, we get to watch the third jerseys instead of the slugs ...

... yeah, I'm grasping for straws.

Flyers are a tough team. A win wouldn't be guaranteed in a strong, 60-minute effort. However, I would guarantee a loss with anything less. No excuses. Lay it all on table. If they lose, they better be collapsing on the ice at the end of the game with nothing left to give, because a couple of more losses and they'll be nothing left to fight for.

There are no 60-minute efforts. Because fans define effort as guys are running around laying the body, legs churning in the corner fighting for a puck, flying up and down the ice... these moments are relatively rare in any game. A lot of the game is "making sausage." And whenever the other team inevitably turns it on for a bit, goes to "work," the fans will always point to this as lack of effort on their team's part. I dare say players dogging it in the NHL is very rare. (Pominville letting up the other night on the shortie is probably explained by something other than him not trying.) Of course they're TRYING all the time. What you're asking for is a 60-minute performance where there are no mistakes by the Sabres, no good plays by the other team and constant DEMONSTRATIONS of effort. This is just a silly thing to ask for.

There are no 60-minute efforts. Because fans define effort as guys are running around laying the body, legs churning in the corner fighting for a puck, flying up and down the ice... these moments are relatively rare in any game. A lot of the game is "making sausage." And whenever the other team inevitably turns it on for a bit, goes to "work," the fans will always point to this as lack of effort on their team's part. I dare say players dogging it in the NHL is very rare. (Pominville letting up the other night on the shortie is probably explained by something other than him not trying.) Of course they're TRYING all the time. What you're asking for is a 60-minute performance where there are no mistakes by the Sabres, no good plays by the other team and constant DEMONSTRATIONS of effort. This is just a silly thing to ask for.

What people are asking for is any sign this team has a pulse. A sign here or there that indicates this team cares if it wins or loses. Emotion, anger or even frustration would be a pleasant surprise.

I don't expect much effort tonight from the Sabres. I'm sure they are saving all their energy to go after Scot Gomez :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lets see, they know their backs are against a wall so they'll put a good effort in, but by this teams standards wont be much. Phl has lost 2 in a row and don't want to drop below PITT.

4-3 OTL in a shootout.

They blame it on just not going their way tonight, and after the game they will feel proud just because they gave a good effort. :thumbdown:

Lets see, they know their backs are against a wall so they'll put a good effort in, but by this teams standards wont be much. Phl has lost 2 in a row and don't want to drop below PITT.

4-3 OTL in a shootout.

They blame it on just not going their way tonight, and after the game they will feel proud just because they gave a good effort. :thumbdown:

Great idea, instead of predicting scores lets predict the excuses they use afterward. It will far more interesting.

I'm going to guess it will be "the ice was bad causing it to be difficult to control pucks which led to turnovers."

I have nothing to say about the sabres anymore, too many times have I drank the Kool Aid. I hope Carter and Richard each get hat tricks but with shorthanded goals and Marty somehow scores an empty netter. Yes its that bad of a day today.

Wow, talk about waking up on the wrong side of the bed!

Somebody needs some sunshine blown up their ass.

On his point, if anybody is getting jacked-up about the chances for these underacheivers, they should calm down.

It is a 'show-me' situation now.

They have to show up and earn points.

They dug themselves into this hole.

We will be here either way to support them.

Get to work gentlemen. Save your season.

Especially in the good jerseys.

Radio only for me.

Enjoy everyone.

Great idea, instead of predicting scores lets predict the excuses they use afterward. It will far more interesting.

I'm going to guess it will be "the ice was bad causing it to be difficult to control pucks which led to turnovers."

How about this one...

Facing Biron makes them feel like they are just practicing circa '05 and it throws their game off because the D is standing around trying to man up Forsberg.

Excellent post.

This has been discussed elsewhere as well in regards to the sixty-minute-effort performance.

I think this explanation should be read by all who log in here.

Now, let's 'make good sausage' tonight against Marty and Flyers.

Nope. If it makes you feel better to think that there was something else going on with little Jay-Jay then go right ahead. What ever it was, Connelly had the same affliction. They both gave up on the play, plain and simple.

As to the game, since I'll be at work late, I'll only catch the third period. I'm expecting that the Sabres will be up 4-0 and then I'll only get to see Philly score to take the lead. 5-4 final.

EDIT:How's that for some sunshine, Phoenix?

What people are asking for is any sign this team has a pulse. A sign here or there that indicates this team cares if it wins or loses. Emotion, anger or even frustration would be a pleasant surprise.

I don't expect much effort tonight from the Sabres. I'm sure they are saving all their energy to go after Scot Gomez :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think we're seeing plenty of frustration in the spate of penalties. But if it's not someone slamming the door to the bench or smashing a stick over the net, it's not easy for some to see. :)

I totally agree that there are two teams playing and whenever the other team outplays ours, effort is questioned, whether or not it is justified. In fact, I'm usually one of the guys defending them. However, coming out flat is not just the other team coming out strong. I've seen games where both teams come out strong; they're very exciting, even if low scoring. Both teams are fighting for every puck right from the first faceoff. Professionals or not, sometimes our guys don't go into the corners as hard as the other team, they back off a little when there's a loose puck, they take a lazy/stupid penalties. Sure, that other player may working hard, but it's not a one or the other situation. You can work hard and still get beaten, but that looks different than backing off and letting yourself get beaten. If it's not that they aren't playing hard for 60 minutes, then it's that they aren't playing smart for 60 minutes.

This is a due or die game!!! In fact, every game for now on, should be viewed this way!!!

I'd like to add:

Our backs are against the wall.

There is no tomorrow.

It's the bottom of the ninth and there are two outs.

GO SABRES!!!

People are still tuning in to this train wreck? :blink: Not even Terrell Owens signing a 1-year contract with Regier could get me excited about watching these guys.

Until the bitter end. Although, without as much enthusiasm!!!! 6-2 Sabres.

Nice cold night and sunny warm days. The sap is running, plenty of maple syrup to come. Spring is coming , warmer and nice days ahead.... :o .... so there take that <_<

Dude, Millbank, you are so Canadian ... or from Vermont.

(Before anyone points it out, I know he's from Ontario, not Vermont. It's a joke.)

Excellent post.

I think this explanation should be read by all who log in here.

i liked PA's post a lot as well - it touches on a fine and apt distinction on what broadcasters, commentators, fans, etc. typically resort to calling "a lack of effort" on the part of their team, and the more complicated realities involved in making it appear as though a team lacked effort.

Nope. If it makes you feel better to think that there was something else going on with little Jay-Jay then go right ahead. What ever it was, Connelly had the same affliction. They both gave up on the play, plain and simple.

that said, i can't agree that the shortie against atlanta was caused by something other than a lack of effort -- which is not to say that pominville was skating back into the zone, felt his lungs and legs burning, felt his stomach rising up to heave, thought about where the team was in the standings, and just said "ahhh, fug it, i'm not going lay it on the line here and pick up that trailer" -- but whatever process was going on in his head, it caused him to stop short of putting forth the effort needed to prevent that goal.

Archived