A thread for games involving other teams trying to make the playoffs

Eleven

Now that Buffalo is on the outside (9th place or worse)...it's going to be very tough for them to move up. Too many 3 point games out there and the Sabres seem to lose too much in regulation. Buffalo just sucks at winning those low scoring 1 goal games. It was very important to stay in 8th place or better because those other teams are gonna start getting 1-2 pts per game. Well, we blew it.

Now that Buffalo is on the outside (9th place or worse)...it's going to be very tough for them to move up. Too many 3 point games out there and the Sabres seem to lose too much in regulation. Buffalo just sucks at winning those low scoring 1 goal games. It was very important to stay in 8th place or better because those other teams are gonna start getting 1-2 pts per game. Well, we blew it.

Not to nitpick ... well, ok, that's what I do ... by we're only sort of out of 8th place. Unlike Pittsburgh and Carolina, we have not played our 64th game. If we lose to Montreal in regulation, then we'll be in 10th place through 64 games (tied with Carolina, but with one less win.) If we lose in OT, then we'll be in 9th place through 64 games (tied with Pittsburgh, but with one less win.) However, if we somehow win, then we'll be in 8th place through 64 games. We actually still have the 8th highest points-per-games-played, ahead of Pittsburgh and Carolina. The AHL actually lists this stats for their teams. It helps because it's hard to compare points when teams have different games played.

If they stay this way, we will be in 10th place, and even if we win tomorrow we will still be out of the playoffs...

I guess there's no way we'll be sellers after what Tom Golisano said at the start of the year.

If they stay this way, we will be in 10th place, and even if we win tomorrow we will still be out of the playoffs...

I guess there's no way we'll be sellers after what Tom Golisano said at the start of the year.

If we miss the playoffs, and Golisano is embarrassed for his "i'm going to eat a microphone" comment, no doubt it will end Darcy Regier's era. I personally would hope not, but no way Golisano let's him live that one down.

not a good night....I think Darcy needs to make a deal or 2 now if he wants to make the playoffs (although I don't see the upside of giving away the house just to get the 8th spot)....

Well, Darcy has already said that he isn't in the market for rentals, but for players with multi-year deals.

Wow, terrible night for the Sabres thus far. Florida leads Atlanta 4-2. Carolina leads the Caps 5-1, and Pittsburgh up on Tampa 2-1. This combination of games could not be any worse for the Sabres. That loss to the Islanders may be even more magnified tonight.

Yep, we're f$@ked.

not a good night....I think Darcy needs to make a deal or 2 now if he wants to make the playoffs (although I don't see the upside of giving away the house just to get the 8th spot)....

There's no guarantee any changes would even get them 8th, all the teams that get what it takes and have already passed them have been playing with intensity, passion and the understanding whats' at stake. You cannot just turn it on and off. Even if this team decides to suddenly show up tomorrow theirs been nothing I've seen to show me they can put that string of games together to suddenly turn this around. Add we need to play some of these teams that have already notched up the intensity which we handle so well NOT (reference last Canes home game) and then look at Carps season chart and what Deluca has been saying all along and you can see this is a .500 team and at best maybe .600.

With where we are now sitting in the standings and the schedule left, little margin for error, impossible odds and what looks like something like a .700 winning percentage to make it and the current team of pressure proven gems....... I vote sellers, If we can start building the right team for next year, then nows the time to start......

Carolina, Philadelphia and Florida all win. Pittsburgh leading by 2 in the 3rd. Not a good night for Sabres faithful.

Welcome to 10th place. :angry:

Yeah bad night.. on the bright side a win tomorrow has us tied for 8th I think.. and we've played 1-2 less games that some of the teams we are trying to jump. Hopefully having Vanek back and this little rest provides a spark (HOPEFULLY).

Yeah bad night.. on the bright side a win tomorrow has us tied for 8th I think.. and we've played 1-2 less games that some of the teams we are trying to jump. Hopefully having Vanek back and this little rest provides a spark (HOPEFULLY).

Not. A win tomorrow moves us from 10th back to a tie for 9th.

Theoretically, we're still as high as eighth (in equal games played) because of games-in-hand, but the other teams have banked their point, putting even more pressure to bank ours. Our fate is still in our own hands (if we win our two games-in-hand and match records with Pittsburgh and Carolina in the rest of the games, we finish ahead of them), but the margin has slimmed about as much as it possibly can. Unless we find a way to start winning games regularly, that slight edge will mean nothing.

As i said a while ago, once the Sabres fell out of the 8th spot, it would be very difficult to climb back in. That Isles loss was huge. The only way to climb the standings now will be to get 2 pts/game. EVen getting 1 pt/game won't guarantee anything. It's disappointing that they lost their playoff slot over the past week.

Rangers won tonight (bad)

Pittsburgh is leading Florida, 3-1. Not sure who I want to win that one, just as long as it ends in regulation.

Strangely, Toronto beat Washington tonight and they are now just 6 points back from us and 7 points out of a playoff spot. :huh:

Archived