1. 1. Macari's future

• He'll be a Sabre after the trade deadline
    • He'll be a Sabre next season
    • Buffalo won't re-sign him after this season
    • He'll be an AHL lifer
    • He'll be out of hockey next season
    • He'll be on another NHL team after the trade deadline
    • He'll be on another NHL next season

With Mancari's pending waiver status (3 more NHL games) and the fact that his contract is up after this year, I felt it would be a good time to discuss his future. I think he gets a look with the big club after the trade deadline to see if he has a future with the club. I think Darcy wants to avoid another Mike Ryan (who was playing @ the HSBC last night). A player who is basically a tweener that the Sabres signed to a one way deal (for God knows what reason) and get stuck with.

Watching Mancari last night, he even looks slow at the AHL level. Unless he can create a niche for himself on the PP and then pair him with a playmaking center during 5 on 5, I don't see a future for him in the NHL. He will never be a factor on the rush.

he is slow, but hes certainly no slower than pommers who is pretty much a non factor on a rush

He makes up for his poor skating -- by being physical and active in the zone. He takes good angles to guys and reads the plays well. this allows him to forecheck, use his leverage, and be active on defenders. rarely does he come back to the bench after not being involved in a play or drilling someone.

I also like his shot (which is very hard and accurate and he can get it off in tight spots with pressure on him) and his willingness to drive the net. in addition, he is also a very nice passer with good touch. No doubt, he skates like a wounded hyena, but he makes up for it with a lot of nice tools. he is very much like gaustad -- except he has better offensive sense.

He is still young. I think he should be playing in Buffalo on the 4th line -- and said this in October 08. Big guys are like bulls in china shops and this guy can track guys donw, advance pucks and chip in some offense. in addition, he is physcial and not that bad on faceoffs.

there are a host of guys like Mancari in the league. their value is in their size alone. The Rangers Blair Betts is the most underated player in the national league.

Haven't we all been screaming for a player that offers grit, and not speed. Now all of a sudden, we have a player that is not blazing. He might be slow, but it's not like he's skating in wet cement.

Drury wasn't exactly a speed demon, but he offered other strengths. I certainly would not compare Mancari to Drury, but I do see a similar mold to Zubrus. If Hecht is falling out of favor, maybe Mancari can fill that void, because I see similarity in that player mold. I had a chance to see Albany and Portland back in December when the game was in Albany -- Mancari dominated that game. You always knew where he was because he was either battling for a loose puck or making a nice transition into the offensive zone.

I think he stays, and resigns to be back next year.

I think he's a prime candidate for any package deal the Sabres put together either now or in the offseason. We always hear all this talk of how they don't want to move the Gerbe's and Kennedy's in Portland, so he has to be right near the top of the list of guys we'd be willing to move. Anyway, if he isn't moved at the deadline, they'll qualify him in the offseason and he'll be on another one year deal (unless traded prior to accepting that offer).

Again, you can hide slow in this league by taking good angles, playing hard along the wall (ragging pucks and cycling them) and by driving the net on every occasion. this guys is very comfortable along the boards. he uses his big frame to box guys out and with some seasoning could be effective in this role of getting the puck deep and sustaining a forecheck. he aint going to score alot on the rush, he jsut needs to get his momentum going north and south, fire shots from every angle and drive the net -- and he will be a pro player. his size, work ethic, demenor, shot, passing ability and heart -- will land him a spot. i guarantee it.

All those players skate circles around Mancari. Dude is tragically slow. That being said, I think he has a place in the NHL. I'm just not sure if it's going to be with Buffalo.

All those players skate circles around Mancari. Dude is tragically slow. That being said, I think he has a place in the NHL. I'm just not sure if it's going to be with Buffalo.
Again, you can hide slow in this league...

Again, posters are not reading my posts thoroughly... :wallbash:

Mark has some tools that would help replace Kotalik for less. He's got a booming shot, can play point on the PP and is a big body. After watching his SO attempt last night, I would have to say that is one area where he would not cover Al's loss, but maybe someone like Gerbe could take care of that. I could see Mark being on this team next year, especially if we trade away some of our other 3rd/4th liners, but I wouldn't be terribly upset if he were traded or not brought up. He might be a 13th forward, since he can play defense, which gives the same type of flexibility as Paetsch brings.

I just can't imagine he'd have much value.

Compare him to many of the throw ins we've made in past package deals the Sabres or other teams have made. You'll find a long list of guys who never amounted to anything or had what the fans thought of as very low value. The key phrase here is "package deal". Sure, we're not talking about some sort of Kovalchuk deal, but the right package involving a guy like Mancari (or any other guy we could consider to be a marginal prospect at best in this system) could bring back something of value.

he is very much like gaustad -- except he has better offensive sense.

From all accounts of him in Rochester over the last couple of years, I thought the rap on him was that despite his size he WASN'T physical. Comparing him to Gaustad in that regard doesn't make sense.

He is plenty physical. And you have seen him in bflo were he has been crushing guys every time he is on the ice. he might not be as fiesty as Gaustad, but he mucks it up. and when i say he is like Paul -- i mean that he is a 6th or 7th round project who skating is of-- but he has the heart of a lion. Mancari has better skills and will become more aggressive after spending a little time in A LINDY RUFF PRACTICE.

And I dont know who you get your "reports" from -- but i used to hear that Danny Paille was the top hitter in the World Junior Championship tourney many years ago. he was the Captain of that team -- that "hit everyone." Haha, what a joke.

Danny Paille woundn't harm a fly.

I have been a Mancari fan from the start. he had the best camp of any prospect -- by far. with some seasoning and refining, he will be driven to do some good things for this club. he is like a big diesel truck out there with his odd skating style. if this club can make the playoffs, this dude will surprise some people with his level of care on the ice.

ruff lets to many guys come back to the bench after not doing anything to help the club win. that is a shame.

From all accounts of him in Rochester over the last couple of years, I thought the rap on him was that despite his size he WASN'T physical. Comparing him to Gaustad in that regard doesn't make sense.

He is plenty physical. And you have seen him in bflo were he has been crushing guys every time he is on the ice. he might not be as fiesty as Gaustad, but he mucks it up. and when i say he is like Paul -- i mean that he is a 6th or 7th round project who skating is of-- but he has the heart of a lion. Mancari has better skills and will become more aggressive after spending a little time in A LINDY RUFF PRACTICE.

And I dont know who you get your "reports" from -- but i used to hear that Danny Paille was the top hitter in the World Junior Championship tourney many years ago. he was the Captain of that team -- that "hit everyone." Haha, what a joke.

Danny Paille woundn't harm a fly.

I have been a Mancari fan from the start. he had the best camp of any prospect -- by far. with some seasoning and refining, he will be driven to do some good things for this club. he is like a big diesel truck out there with his odd skating style. if this club can make the playoffs, this dude will surprise some people with his level of care on the ice.

ruff lets to many guys come back to the bench after not doing anything to help the club win. that is a shame.

Well, it's not often that someone makes such a passionate case for Mancari. Game on!

Separately: am I crazy, or didn't Gragnani shift back to defense recently after playing mostly forward? Now we find out that Mancari has done the same? Is it possible that someone (other than me) has confused the 2 of them?

With Mancari's pending waiver status (3 more NHL games) and the fact that his contract is up after this year, I felt it would be a good time to discuss his future. I think he gets a look with the big club after the trade deadline to see if he has a future with the club. I think Darcy wants to avoid another Mike Ryan (who was playing @ the HSBC last night). A player who is basically a tweener that the Sabres signed to a one way deal (for God knows what reason) and get stuck with.

I havent seen enough of him to put down a rock solid opinion of him yet..From what I have seen of him he reminds me of a less talented Denis Hamel..Who I thought was well on his way towards becoming a solid player in the NHL till he broke his leg..

Separately: am I crazy, or didn't Gragnani shift back to defense recently after playing mostly forward?

Other than a brief experiment last season, Gragnani has always played D (professionally).

Now we find out that Mancari has done the same? Is it possible that someone (other than me) has confused the 2 of them?

Mancari has switched between D and Forward pretty regularly, as did Nathan.

Well, it's not often that someone makes such a passionate case for Mancari. Game on!

Separately: am I crazy, or didn't Gragnani shift back to defense recently after playing mostly forward? Now we find out that Mancari has done the same? Is it possible that someone (other than me) has confused the 2 of them?

Other than a brief experiment last season, Gragnani has always played D (professionally).

It is officially called "Gragnitis"

Wiki: defined as the often moved or mis-positioned player, either by the press, blogs, or coaches.

Didn't Gragnani play almost half the season at forward last season? Maybe it was not as long as I am remembering.

Archived