Apparently Darcy isn't too busy checking on who's available

Claude Balls

I think the Sabres could have afforded to give McLaren a shot. He's 31, making 2.5 mil per and has the size and toughness the Sabres are so desperately lacking on the blue line. I am shocked that he did clear waivers. Teams must be strapped pretty tight around the league.

McLaren to minors

And where do you suggest we put him if we had picked him off waivers. Darcy certainly isn't going to buy out any of our current D men. The only way we're getting any better at D is through trades.

I would scratch any one of them to play McLaren and try to work a trade with with anyone at this point. Package Hanky with Max and get something in return, anything. He is exactly what this team needs on D. McLaren and Rivet would be a nasty pair to play against.

I would scratch any one of them to play McLaren and try to work a trade with with anyone at this point. Package Hanky with Max and get something in return, anything. He is exactly what this team needs on D. McLaren and Rivet would be a nasty pair to play against.

Darcy is well aware of who's on waivers. He didn't take McLaren because we can't afford him. No one is going to take Tallinder or Max off of our hands at over $3MM each. We're going to have to live with them on the roster until at least the trading deadline.

McLaren has become a shell of his former self. We remember how good he was in Boston. He also had some good years in San Jose. But he's been atrocious recently. Why would the Sabres even want him? He can't even crack the Sharks lineup and was sent to the minors. Surely, you'd think he's better than Brad Lukowich, but the Sharks don't seem to think so. His play really regressed last year as well. He's never been a fast skater and mostly known for his defensive ability and physicality. But, he's apparently lost a lot of the physical play that he was known for and if you're not a fast skater and have lost the physical play that you used to be known for, what do you bring to the table? I don't know, but I don't think the Sabres need a hack from the Sharks. And I do think Hank has played a lot better since his benching, so I'm not convinced that McLaren would be an improvement, especially if he's no longer playing the physical brand of hockey that he's known for.

McLaren has become a shell of his former self. We remember how good he was in Boston. He also had some good years in San Jose. But he's been atrocious recently. Why would the Sabres even want him? He can't even crack the Sharks lineup and was sent to the minors. Surely, you'd think he's better than Brad Lukowich, but the Sharks don't seem to think so. His play really regressed last year as well. He's never been a fast skater and mostly known for his defensive ability and physicality. But, he's apparently lost a lot of the physical play that he was known for and if you're not a fast skater and have lost the physical play that you used to be known for, what do you bring to the table? I don't know, but I don't think the Sabres need a hack from the Sharks. And I do think Hank has played a lot better since his benching, so I'm not convinced that McLaren would be an improvement, especially if he's no longer playing the physical brand of hockey that he's known for.

yea and the rest of league, even crappy teams with cap space didnt bite on him, stupid darcy he was probably not paying attention.....

So the fact that NO team picked him up doesn't say anything to you?

No team picked up Gratton either. The way things are money-wise right now IMHO I don't think many teams are doing much of this.

You only pick Gratton up if you're trying to move your franchise to another city, thus trying to lose games to make it easier for the fans... :D

So the fact that NO team picked him up doesn't say anything to you?

Nope. No one has picked up Sundin yet either and you don't think he could help some team? Just look at the FA list, it's huge and no one is picking these guys up because of $$$. Shanahan, Smolinski, Lapointe, Rucchin, Forsberg Gelinas, Rachunek, Matvichuk, Modry, Miller, Adams etc.....and the list goes on and on. Some guys are way past their prime, but still good veteran players teams could use. It's all about money and there are players on this Sabres team right now that wouldn't get picked up if they were sent to the minors. McLaren at his worst is still better than a few of the guys we have right now. Some guys also get re-focused when being moved to a new team. Not saying it would happen, but you never know.

Nope. No one has picked up Sundin yet either and you don't think he could help some team?

It's not because they don't want to, there are at least 10 NHL teams clawing each other to get him, Vancouver reportedly offered him 20 mil. for 2 years!

It's because he is taking his team in deciding who to play for, the decision is pending until 15.11.2008.

So it's kinda a bad comparison, but I get where you're going. Still, I don't think McLaren would be of any use...

It's not because they don't want to, there are at least 10 NHL teams clawing each other to get him, Vancouver reportedly offered him 20 mil. for 2 years!

It's because he is taking his team in deciding who to play for, the decision is pending until 15.11.2008.

So it's kinda a bad comparison, but I get where you're going. Still, I don't think McLaren would be of any use...

I think if Darcy were really trying (or had any freedom) there are plenty of guys sitting on the couch (hopefully staying in shape and not sucking down too much beer and pork rinds) waiting for the phone to ring, that would be upgrades over a few select Sabres we have now. Hell, we are paying too much now for a player that sits on his ass more than he plays. I won't mention any names, but his initials are Tim Connolly. There's also this speedy little Russian guy that seems to do more harm than good for the team as well.

When did they add three months to the calendar year? :angry: It all started with this damn Daylight savings time! We should all follow my trusty Aztec calendar when the world ends in 4 years! :thumbsup:

It should have stood 15.12.2008, and your comment would be funny if I was from the States... But here in Croatia we write Date/Month/Year, so this only proves that your not very well educated :oops:

So no, not well played...

It should have stood 15.12.2008, and your comment would be funny if I was from the States... But here in Croatia we write Date/Month/Year, so this only proves that your not very well educated :oops:

I've never liked that notation. 2008-12-15 is ideal, since you can sort properly. :)

I've never liked that notation. 2008-12-15 is ideal, since you can sort properly. :)

Whenever I am working on research papers, I save revisions daily as I need to be able to tell which version I have sent to co-authors. I always add something of the form "- 20081215" to the end for just the reason that you've listed.

Oh I wouldn't say he isn't very well educated, it's just that here in the Sates we don't have pressing needs to be taught how to write the dates like they do in Croatia, or most other countries for that matter.

I take joking around isn't handled very well over there either. :blush:

I think if Darcy were really trying (or had any freedom) there are plenty of guys sitting on the couch (hopefully staying in shape and not sucking down too much beer and pork rinds) waiting for the phone to ring, that would be upgrades over a few select Sabres we have now. Hell, we are paying too much now for a player that sits on his ass more than he plays. I won't mention any names, but his initials are Tim Connolly. There's also this speedy little Russian guy that seems to do more harm than good for the team as well.

The problem is, no ones lining up to take those guys off the Sabres hands, and they certainly aren't going to buy those players out cause it will be wasted cap space and money. You have to have a willing trade partner to make a trade in the NHL, and right now, theres no demand for "an underachieving give away machine", a soft european defencemen, and "an injury waiting to happen" players

If the Sabres could get anything worth while for them, I'm sure they would, but with the way the cap is in the NHL, the only way they can get the free cap space is to trade them, almost any other option still leaves you with atleast a portion of their cap space on the books.

The guy that cleared waivers seems like hes just another "he has to be better then what we have cause he was good once" kind of player.

For the Sabres to improve, they are going to have to look further then the waiver wire, and bewiling to give up some potential (Like a Portland kid), or something good to get something decent back.

The problem is, no ones lining up to take those guys off the Sabres hands, and they certainly aren't going to buy those players out cause it will be wasted cap space and money. You have to have a willing trade partner to make a trade in the NHL, and right now, theres no demand for "an underachieving give away machine", a soft european defencemen, and "an injury waiting to happen" players

If the Sabres could get anything worth while for them, I'm sure they would, but with the way the cap is in the NHL, the only way they can get the free cap space is to trade them, almost any other option still leaves you with atleast a portion of their cap space on the books.

The guy that cleared waivers seems like hes just another "he has to be better then what we have cause he was good once" kind of player.

For the Sabres to improve, they are going to have to look further then the waiver wire, and bewiling to give up some potential (Like a Portland kid), or something good to get something decent back.

I hear what you're saying. It just gets frustrating after a while, ya know. You just want to see a shakeup or something to give this team a boot in the ass because nothing they do seems to be working.

I hear what you're saying. It just gets frustrating after a while, ya know. You just want to see a shakeup or something to give this team a boot in the ass because nothing they do seems to be working.

I think we'd all like to see a shake up. Problem is, the FO tied their hands and aren't able to make a move without another team being SO bad off they have to take Max or someone else. Perhaps the trade deadline will bring out the suckers who can't help but second guess if some of our guys have been victims of "location". We literally have to hope some GM needing that 1 piece will be willing to take a chance on a guy we KNOW doesn't have it in him. Good luck with that..... I think what we see is what we're going to get, until next season.

Archived