45 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one that will make us better than sub-standard

• Fire Lindy, hire new coach
    • Fire Darcy, organization needs new direction
    • Trade some deadbeats, bring in new blood
    • Bring up some kids, ready or not
    • Hold the course, they'll come around after 1.25 seasons
    • Blow it up from top to bottom cause it's gonna take years to fix

I voted for "Trade some deadbeats, bring in new blood" but I could go for most of them. I'd rank them in this order:

Trade some deadbeats, bring in new blood

Bring up some kids, ready or not

Fire Darcy, organization needs new direction

Fire Lindy, hire new coach

Hold the course, they'll come around after 1.25 seasons

Blow it up from top to bottom cause it's gonna take years to fix

I honestly think it needs to be a management change. This team has been lucky with the success it had out of the lockout, but nothing has been done to fix the way this team ended 06-07 and all of last season.

I want to see some moves made with this team also. I don't think there are a lot of players here who aren't trade material. Something needs to get done to shake this team up, and I'm sure Lindy knows what that is. I feel bad for him, he's playing the cards he's dealt, and he can't make anything out of em.

Whether it be a management change or player changes, it needs to happen. Possibly even both.

Let's nuke the current Sabres and start from scratch.

Drop some trash (definitely Max, but possibly Kotalik, Tallinder*) because we need the roster spots for real players. Then, do what it takes to acquire a decent second-line center. It doesn't need to be a franchise-level #1 superstar, because we won't get one. We just need someone who is:

1) A better faceoff man than Hecth.

2) A better playmaker than Hecht or Gaustad.

3) Not a defensive liability.

I mentioned it in another thread, but as an example: Brendan Morrison from the Ducks. He was a decent second-line center in Vancouver, but had wrist surgery and then tore his ACL last year. The Ducks signed him to one-year deal, but have been disappointed in his production this year and there is rumors that they are growing impatient. He's an UFA at the end of the year, so you could take a chance that he just isn't clicking with their team/system and will return to form here. Probably not the best option, but an example of who could be brought in.

* I'm assuming that there's no realistic way to drop Connolly and expect him to go on and off IR.

Oh, and I'd like to add that there are quite a few veteran free agent players out there who aren't signed. Guys that could really help this team more than a lot of the floaters we have now.

Brendan Shanahan, Matts Sundin, Geoff Sanderson, Peter Forsberg, Martin Lapointe, Kevyn Adams.

Yes these guys are old. But they still might be useful for the rest of a season.

Just do something.

Oh and change the logo back to the swords. This team shouldn't even be allowed to win without that logo on the jersey.

Oh and change the logo back to the swords. This team shouldn't even be allowed to win without that logo on the jersey.

Funny that the only two wins that they've had in the last 10 games came in the thirds! And they weren't even against garbage teams; they were against the #1 Bruins and the #3 Penguins (actually, they have the same number of points that the Rangers had when they had played 25 games, so they are debatably #2.) Bring 'em back! I mean, really, could it hurt?

Edit: scratch that. Wait until after they've made the needed moves. Wouldn't want to tarnish that logo with what we've been seeing.

Oh, and I'd like to add that there are quite a few veteran free agent players out there who aren't signed. Guys that could really help this team more than a lot of the floaters we have now.

Brendan Shanahan, Matts Sundin, Geoff Sanderson, Peter Forsberg, Martin Lapointe, Kevyn Adams.

Yes these guys are old. But they still might be useful for the rest of a season.

Just do something.

Stop making sense, Darcy won't have it.

That's a cool idea and I don't disagree with you. However, it's tough to do when a team is paying 3rd line (at best) wingers $3-5+ million.

Just do something.

It wont happen but in fantasy land if they did sign Sundin, Shanahan LApointe and Adams it would be fun to see what they could do in half a season...I hardly watch anymore..NCIS is more interesting

The absolute first thing that needs to happen before this team improves is Darcy Regier needs to go. If not, the result is, instead of change we get the dreaded "fresh start". The organization is delusional if they think this team is good enough to win the Cup let alone make the playoffs. We need a playmaking center who can make some of our mediocre talent look good. We have a surplus of young forwards, why are we not turning them into the star player(s) we need? You have got to be kidding me that the Sabres really think Max is going to turn it around. I think its time for a fire sale and we need to see what we've got in Portland. This team clearly lacks firepower if we put 46 shots on Craig Anderson and can only find the back of the net one time. Its embarassing. :censored: :wallbash:

Those guys would really only be useful if our team was on the cusp of greatness which it is not. The Sabres lack talent and any of those guys would be a waste of an expensive one year contract. Although I wouldn't mind seeing maybe Shanahan. He'd bring some toughness and leadership which we desperately need.

I'd fire Darcy and then let the new GM decide what to do with Lindy if the team continue to play like crap.

I am not sure if I already mentioned this...You know what I noticed at the Nashville game the other night? The game was sold out but there were many empty seats in the lower bowl. Fans are losing interest quickly(even the ones who already bought seats). If they don't get their act together, they may as well board up the box office windows because NO ONE is going to buy the remaining tickets for the product currently on the ice.

I say we trade Lindy. There has got to be a team out ther that would love to have him. Maybe one of them a player or two the we could really use. Since were ready to get rid of him anyway we might as well get something for him.

I'd fire Darcy and then let the new GM decide what to do with Lindy if the team continue to play like crap.

I am not sure if I already mentioned this...You know what I noticed at the Nashville game the other night? The game was sold out but there were many empty seats in the lower bowl. Fans are losing interest quickly(even the ones who already bought seats). If they don't get their act together, they may as well board up the box office windows because NO ONE is going to buy the remaining tickets for the product currently on the ice.

This is going to be the only thing that spurs some change. It's not going to be the media, it's not going to be the fans calling into the WGR whiner line, it's not going to be the fast-piling losses and piss-poor play. It's going to have to be fans not showing up, not buying merchandise, not buying concessions to prompt some sort of change.

And I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see Quinny fire Darcy and take the reigns himself. If that happens I might have to either storm the offices at HSBC Arena and give Golly a serious beatdown.

There are too many average players on this team that are not goal scorers. Darcy needs to realize that you can't replace A line players (names withheld for obvious reasons) with average players and expect the team to perform at a same level. I would keep Lindy and get some better players that can score.

Blow it up, at least it would be something different to watch.

Having not missed one game on TV or at the Arena for the past two seasons, I'm not looking forward to the game anymore and will probably DVR it and watch if I hear they played well. I for one am NOT willing to say farewell to this season, but it's obvious somebody has to do something. I don't get paid enough by the Sabres ($0) to figure it out.

I think blow it all up, and possibly a management change is the wrong thing to do. It brings drastic change, and we are on the edge of the playoffs, so even with these problems it can only take 1 good offseason to get back to contender status.

I completely agree with all of the criticisms of Darcy, but he does have a knack for building within. I really wonder if a new GM came in and was restricted in cash and trades if they'd be successful in building like they do now. Buffalo isn't a team that can go out and sign up the FA market in the offseason, thats just not how they operate (i hate the use of the term small market but it may apply like it or not). I don't know if that directive comes from the GM or owner, but we've never been that type of town.

With that being said, we aren't winning the cup this year. I know I know big surprise :wallbash: so what is the goal? Playoffs! Mid year you simply cannot trade everyone on your roster except your top line and expect to put together a champion. Achieving this years goal will take critical trades for players ( physical d-man, #2 center) and thats it (oh and DONT WAIT TILL THE DEADLINE ITS TOO LATE!!!!). Try with that to get to the playoffs and in the offseason more drastic moves can come.

I used to be a fan of the fire all management line, but instability is bad. It's bad for sports just as government and business. These guys have built good teams, but it seems to take 3 year cycles of build up then break down.

Ditto. I gave him credit for planning for the "New NHL". He takes the hit too for not selling off for bulk. Maybe he didn't get that fax. I'd ask Muckler back at least as interim. One other option would be to let Lindy act as interim GM.

I used to be a fan of the fire all management line, but instability is bad. It's bad for sports just as government and business. These guys have built good teams, but it seems to take 3 year cycles of build up then break down.

Its not instability when the coach and GM have been with the organization for 11 years. Its just time for a change in the direction and strategy of the franchise.

Archived