A cheap Billionare...... Keep buying those tickets!

navybillsfan

Well, Well, Well....

Same ole Sabres of the past 3 years. A cheap Billionare who thinks our "drafts" will help this team win. This city is blessed with morons running their sport teams.

At least with Rigas, this team tried to build to win. We always has a superstar on this team. Its like watching a NHL farm team for the rest of the league anymore

Well, Well, Well....

Same ole Sabres of the past 3 years. A cheap Billionare who thinks our "drafts" will help this team win. This city is blessed with morons running their sport teams.

At least with Rigas, this team tried to build to win. We always has a superstar on this team. Its like watching a NHL farm team for the rest of the league anymore

They inherited Hasek. What "building" did the Rigas family actually do?

They inherited Hasek. What "building" did the Rigas family actually do?

Darcy sure seemed to have more green lights to make trades in-season, for what it's worth. When I think back on the Rigas Era, one of the fond memories is the excitement that deadline day brought. What happened to that?

Why are you guys afraid to address the issues he brought up? Easier to attack, I guess.

Ownership should definitely be looked at if the freefall continues. navy's like me with Ruff -- why wait? Avoid the rush and the big crowds.

I'll address the issue(I don't know why you are bringing up Ruff since nbf didn't mention him in his post). As far as Rigas goes, the Sabres missed the playoffs the last 2 season the crook owned the team. In 1992(at that time the team was still owned by the Knoxes), the Sabres lucked into trading for a unknown goalie by the name of Hasek and he carried them during his time here. The only "superstar" they brought in was LaFontaine and that was because they had a good asset like Turgeon to trade.

Fast forward to now...DR, LQ and company are in love with their home grown prospects(especially at forward) and are convinced that spending big money on Vanek, Pominville, Roy & Miller is the way to go. Only time will tell.

Fast forward to now...DR, LQ and company are in love with their home grown prospects(especially at forward) and are convinced that spending big money on Vanek, Pominville, Roy & Miller is the way to go. Only time will tell.

Isn't that how cups are won? Building your team through the draft. Detroit anyone?

Well, Well, Well....

How exactly did Detroit win the cup? I'm pretty sure the core is made up of people they drafted.

Well, Well, Well....

With Rigas the team was built to win? What happened to the best player on the roster? :rolleyes:

What exactly should Billionaire Tom have done differently this past offseason?

Why shouldn't he think drafts will help the team?

Exactly what move were you looking for?

I'll address the issue(I don't know why you are bringing up Ruff since nbf didn't mention him in his post). As far as Rigas goes, the Sabres missed the playoffs the last 2 season the crook owned the team. In 1992(at that time the team was still owned by the Knoxes), the Sabres lucked into trading for a unknown goalie by the name of Hasek and he carried them during his time here. The only "superstar" they brought in was LaFontaine and that was because they had a good asset like Turgeon to trade.

Who brought in LaFontaine? Sounds like you're giving Rigas credit for that.

The Goathead years were good ones. Sorry that I don't buy into revisionist history.

I hate threads like this because it allows people to lump all criticism of ownership with ignorant rants like Navy's.

There are a lot of things to criticize TG for as well as a lot of things to praise him for.

1) He micro manages the team especially when you consider his lack of hockey acumen

2) He doesn't seem to understand that the players are both assets and employees and sometimes doesn't treat them accordingly

3) He hates criticism and appears to be vindictive of those who question him

Cheap, however, is not one of them. While they are near the bottom of the league in payroll this year, they have been at or near the cap every other year since the lockout.

No matter what you think of TG, LQ, DR and the rest, the true problem is that they continue to make mistakes with the contracts they give or don't give out.

I am not making a judgement on how those mistakes happen but they now have almost $13 million of their payroll sitting out for various reasons and another $8 million (Roy and Hecht) practically invisible. You can't win when you are getting almost nothing from nearly 40% your payroll and your payroll is already near the bottom of the league.

I hate threads like this because it allows people to lump all criticism of ownership with ignorant rants like Navy's.

There are a lot of things to criticize TG for as well as a lot of things to praise him for.

1) He micro manages the team especially when you consider his lack of hockey acumen

2) He doesn't seem to understand that the players are both assets and employees and sometimes doesn't treat them accordingly

3) He hates criticism and appears to be vindictive of those who question him

Cheap, however, is not one of them. While they are near the bottom of the league in payroll this year, they have been at or near the cap every other year since the lockout.

No matter what you think of TG, LQ, DR and the rest, the true problem is that they continue to make mistakes with the contracts they give or don't give out.

I am not making a judgement on how those mistakes happen but they now have almost $13 million of their payroll sitting out for various reasons and another $8 million (Roy and Hecht) practically invisible. You can't win when you are getting almost nothing from nearly 40% your payroll and your payroll is already near the bottom of the league.

1.) Interesting given that most fans would have thought just the opposite last season. Tom disappeared, at least from the broadcasts, and got some heat for staying out of the limelight when the team was losing a year after being so visible in good times. But I tend to think you are right given the story Darcy told about having to twist Tom's arm on the Miller contract.

How are they "cheap"?

They are near the max of the salary cap. It's smart to keep some space open to make late season moves to improve the roster. We all expected a good season.

Actually, for the first time since the lockout, they aren't. Right now, they have nearly $7 million in cap space (without any future changes and with Mancari staying up the rest of the year, they would be at $50.03 million.) However, that will likely go up some next year -- they already have ~$41 million contracted for just 5 defensemen, 7 forwards and 2 goalies -- while the cap is expected to take a slight dip to ~$55 million. As pointed out, though, they were just about at the cap in 2005-06 and 2006-07, and ended up about $5 million under last year (would have been ~$4 million with Teppo, as planned, which would have been about the same as many teams, playoff and not.) I would say that the rising cap went past the point where they were willing to consistently spend near it. However, there are definitely teams that spend significantly less.

My point is that Rigas wasn't the great owner that nbf is making him out to be.

Let's say he had sold the team at the end instead of the clusterf*ck that took place. Wouldn't his tenure be looked upon pretty favorably? A lot of wins, a lot of playoff teams, a conference final appearance, a Cup final appearance, Hasek remaining a Sabre, a new building, solid attendance.

It always perplexes me when some fans point to the Goathead logo and cringe as if it represented some terrible time in team history.

Let's say he had sold the team at the end instead of the clusterf*ck that took place. Wouldn't his tenure be looked upon pretty favorably? A lot of wins, a lot of playoff teams, a conference final appearance, a Cup final appearance, Hasek remaining a Sabre, a new building, solid attendance.

It always perplexes me when some fans point to the Goathead logo and cringe as if it represented some terrible time in team history.

That 99 Cup run was the funnest time I had as a Sabre fan..That team really showed what a hard core bunch of tough minded men can accomplish even though they were outmanned.Plus a really good goalie...That Toronto series was the Best..I remember sitting in section 203 in game 6 and there were a bunch of Leaf fans there..After Ray scored the taunting /celebrating began!!!..I love those years..Nolan really got them playing well....After that yeara it wasnt quite the same..The Peca incident led to the HAsek incident which led to the bankruptcy..It was fun while it lasted..

That 99 Cup run was the funnest time I had as a Sabre fan..That team really showed what a hard core bunch of tough minded men can accomplish even though they were outmanned.Plus a really good goalie...That Toronto series was the Best..I remember sitting in section 203 in game 6 and there were a bunch of Leaf fans there..After Ray scored the taunting /celebrating began!!!..I love those years..Nolan really got them playing well....After that yeara it wasnt quite the same..The Peca incident led to the HAsek incident which led to the bankruptcy..It was fun while it lasted..

I liked '99, too, and I know that was your main point, but the "Hasek incident" did not lead to the bankruptcy, unless he's the guy who tipped off the feds. (Who knows?)

Archived