Are there any untouchables on this club other than Miller?

LabattBlue

I consider Miller to be an untouchable, not so much because he is a great goalie, but Lalime is a career backup and Enroth is not ready. In other words, no other options.

I am so tired of the inconsistency with this team, that I would consider dealing anyone else including Roy, Vanek, Pominville or our captain Rivet.

PS I fully understand that DR won't even move Stafford let alone the "big names" mentioned above. <_<

As for the question at hand, I think Vanek and Pominville are untouchable along with Miller.

I'd agree with that. Roy should be, but he needs to get it back together. He's been playing himself off of the list -- not a badly as some imply, but not "untouchable" level -- and needs to return to form to get back on it. I believe that he will, so I wouldn't trade him now when his value is low.

Vanek.

He doesn't turn 25 until January. He has a difficult to replace combination of size, hands, vision, and goal-scoring ability. He isn't a top 10 forward in the league, but he is probably the only Sabre skater that every other GM wants. I'm not sure I'd trade Vanek for the 1st pick overall in the 2009 Draft (Tavares).

As for the other fowards I would say all can be traded: Roy & Connolly are replaceable (Nathan Gerbe, anyone?). Pominville & Hecht are useful two-way players but I don't think are elite NHLers.

Looking at the D: Lots of journeymen NHLers there. Lydman-Tallinder have lost a few steps. Teppo is probably in his final season. Rivet isn't a spring chicken either (34), but adds some edge. Spacek is turns 35 in February. Time to bring in Weber is now.

As Sabres fans saw last year and is being made clear again this season - stellar goaltending is needed if the Sabres are going to make the playoffs.

Roy & Connolly are replaceable (Nathan Gerbe, anyone?).

You should watch a game or two of theirs, or at least read more than the stats. Despite being listed as a center, he has played on the wing all year (quite the opposite of Kennedy.) He also is far more of a one-way player than those two, again unlike Kennedy. He scores a lot on the PP, but is not the quarterback. If anyone from Portland would replace Roy or Connolly, it would be Kennedy, not Gerbe. Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to see Gerbe up here playing, but as a replacement for Max, not Derek or Timmy.

I consider Miller to be an untouchable, not so much because he is a great goalie, but Lalime is a career backup and Enroth is not ready. In other words, no other options.

I am so tired of the inconsistency with this team, that I would consider dealing anyone else including Roy, Vanek, Pominville or our captain Rivet.

PS I fully understand that DR won't even move Stafford let alone the "big names" mentioned above. <_<

I had a long post typed up here about 5 mins ago, then realised this statement pretty much said it all, so I figured "why bother".

You should watch a game or two of theirs, or at least read more than the stats. Despite being listed as a center, he has played on the wing all year (quite the opposite of Kennedy.) He also is far more of a one-way player than those two, again unlike Kennedy. He scores a lot on the PP, but is not the quarterback. If anyone from Portland would replace Roy or Connolly, it would be Kennedy, not Gerbe. Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to see Gerbe up here playing, but as a replacement for Max, not Derek or Timmy.

Thanks for the correction. I wasn't aware that Gerbe has spent all season at wing.

Thanks for the correction. I wasn't aware that Gerbe has spent all season at wing.

Sorry, I didn't mean that to come off quite as pompous as it ended up sounding (just read it again in your post), but I think you saw through that to see my point. I don't know when Lindy made that decision -- sometime during camp -- but they are clearly set in those positions. I don't know why they haven't bothered to change their positions on the roster.

The only person who has not lost all patience appears to be Darcy. Let's hope this weekend pushed him to action.

As for the question at hand, I think Vanek and Pominville are untouchable along with Miller.

Why would a pretty strong effort in Pittsburgh in the third game in four days cause Darce to make a move?

Sorry, I didn't mean that to come off quite as pompous as it ended up sounding (just read it again in your post), but I think you saw through that to see my point. I don't know when Lindy made that decision -- sometime during camp -- but they are clearly set in those positions. I don't know why they haven't bothered to change their positions on the roster.

Come on, be pompous. It's a rare guilty pleasure.

Ok, I have to add this. Why is Miller untouchable? Because we have no other options? What has he done for us that makes him that much better than what we have? He didn't fair well coming in for Lalime and once the defense failed to make everything perfect in front of him yesterday- bang 3 goals go in? This guy is an average NHL goalie - he can't win the big game. if we truly could make our defense better with a star defenseman - wouldn't you think about it? When does the ax fall on Regier or Ruff too? Everything stays the same - we make one change in the offseason (Rivet) and nothing is really different. Tampa fires their coach pretty quickly- they want better results- isn't it time that the Sabres get better results?

Ok, I have to add this. Why is Miller untouchable? Because we have no other options? What has he done for us that makes him that much better than what we have? He didn't fair well coming in for Lalime and once the defense failed to make everything perfect in front of him yesterday- bang 3 goals go in? This guy is an average NHL goalie - he can't win the big game. if we truly could make our defense better with a star defenseman - wouldn't you think about it? When does the ax fall on Regier or Ruff too? Everything stays the same - we make one change in the offseason (Rivet) and nothing is really different. Tampa fires their coach pretty quickly- they want better results- isn't it time that the Sabres get better results?

Good post. You're about to get an education from the sophisticated posters on this board. Going after Miller AND Ruff. Double wow.

Archived