Line Combinations

inkman

I'm not certain how much this has been discussed. I have seen snippets in other threads but I felt a common ground was necessary. Here goes:

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Paille-Hecht-Pominville

Kotalik-Connolly-Afinogenov

Ellis/Peters-Mair-Kaleta

Rivet-Lydman

Spacek-Sekera

Numminen-Tallinder

As much as I want Weber in the lineup, I can't see Lindy scratching a heathly Hank. Obviously, Goose would be in the lineup and MacArthur may end up there if Timmy can't go Friday night. As usual, I see Paetsch in the press box unless something weird happens.

I'm not certain how much this has been discussed. I have seen snippets in other threads but I felt a common ground was necessary. Here goes:

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Paille-Hecht-Pominville

Ellis/Peters-Mair-Kaleta

Rivet-Lydman

Spacek-Sekera

Numminen-Tallinder

As much as I want Weber in the lineup, I can't see Lindy scratching a heathly Hank. Obviously, Goose would be in the lineup and MacArthur may end up there as Timmy can't go Friday night. As usual, I see Paetsch in the press box unless something weird happens.

That looks accurate from a forward perspective. The only thing I can see Lindy changing is Max & Stafford. As far as the defensive pairings go, I don't have a clue.

It would be great if Stafford earned his way onto Roy's line, but it sure doesn't seem like he has. Just the opposite -- it sounds like Stafford is really struggling. I expect to see Max there on Friday.

You are probably right but Drew seems like he should be a great fit for that line, unfortunately he hasn't become that player yet.

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Paille-Hecht-Pominville

Ellis/Peters-Mair-Kaleta

Rivet-Lydman

Spacek-Sekera

Numminen-Tallinder

As much as I want Weber in the lineup, I can't see Lindy scratching a heathly Hank. Obviously, Goose would be in the lineup and MacArthur may end up there if Timmy can't go Friday night. As usual, I see Paetsch in the press box unless something weird happens.

Ellis/Peters-Mair-Kaleta? So much for the Sabres having any depth at forward. It's hard to be optimistic when the Sabres are going into the season with two lines and Kotalik. Pominville, Roy and Vanek need to take that next step in development for the Sabres to have any chance at the playoffs. Most predicitons seem to have the Sabres finishing around tenth. Looking at that lineup I can see why.

It would be great if Stafford earned his way onto Roy's line, but it sure doesn't seem like he has. Just the opposite -- it sounds like Stafford is really struggling. I expect to see Max there on Friday.

Stafford almost seems to be in the situation where he could benefit from the wakeup call of starting the year in Portland. He just barely sneaks in as being exempt from waivers.

The only way I see the Sabres making noise is if Tim Connolly stays healthy and puts up over 1 PPG. :cry:

I agree that Tim staying healthy is a big deal, but while it would be nice if he gets > 1 PPG, I see that as less vital. If he plays 70+ games and puts up 0.7+ PPG, I would be pretty happy. Same with Max. The problem, though, is that unless some prospects step up very quickly, we will be walking on a knife's edge when it comes to having healthy players. One or two injuries could sink the ship.

The only way I see the Sabres making noise is if Tim Connolly stays healthy and puts up over 1 PPG. :cry:

It's really disappointing that none of the younger guys made the Sabres roster. They really need some talent to help balance out the lines 3 & 4.

Also,

If Mike Weber is not on the ice opening night it is a crime. It will be another example of team politics where a player like Tallinder makes the lineup because of what he did two or three years ago. Decisions like that really hurt this teams chances at a playoff spot. This team can not afford not to have their best players in the line-up every night. I can hear the sound bites now from Regier, "We thought Timmy would", "We felt Max could" or "We were relying on Hank to".

I agree that Tim staying healthy is a big deal, but while it would be nice if he gets > 1 PPG, I see that as less vital. If he plays 70+ games and puts up 0.7+ PPG, I would be pretty happy. Same with Max. The problem, though, is that unless some prospects step up very quickly, we will be walking on a knife's edge when it comes to having healthy players. One or two injuries could sink the ship.

You mean like having your #2 and #3 center's possibly out of the for opening night. Look the #%^$#! out...

When I think of a healthy Tim Connolly I think of those internet commercials. Where the guy is standing there and the Yeti is behind him and he says "I just found the internet". Maybe they can make one with a healthy Tim Connolly and have him skate behind the guy while he finds the internet.

It's really disappointing that none of the younger guys made the Sabres roster. They really need some talent to help balance out the lines 3 & 4.

Also,

If Mike Weber is not on the ice opening night it is a crime. It will be another example of team politics where a player like Tallinder makes the lineup because of what he did two or three years ago. Decisions like that really hurt this teams chances at a playoff spot. This team can not afford not to have their best players in the line-up every night. I can hear the sound bites now from Regier, "We thought Timmy would", "We felt Max could" or "We were relying on Hank to".

The good news is that Weber has yet to be sent down. Knowing that they aren't keeping him up here to be a #7 or #8, either something is brewing that would free up a top 6 spot for Weber or they want one last look at him before sending him down.

The good news is that Weber has yet to be sent down. Knowing that they aren't keeping him up here to be a #7 or #8, either something is brewing that would free up a top 6 spot for Weber or they want one last look at him before sending him down.

I really wouldn't read all that much into it. The current top 8 clearly have those positions locked up. They want all of them to get in as much work together as possible. They do this every year too, making that final cut at the last second. Last year they cut the team down to the max 23 at the deadline, then one day later sent MacArthur to Rochester. Did the same thing with Paille the year before.

Tallinder belongs in the pressbox.

We got rid of Kalinin after years of putting up with his brainfarts and pucks bouncing in off his skates (God, how many did he actually re-direct into his own net? It seems like 50 at least, although it's probably more like 10 if even that much), and now we're facing the same situation with Hank.

Also,

This pretty much sums it up.

Ruff does have an allegiance to the vets--always has. And they slept through preseason for the most part as a result looking like a team that knew who would be in blue and gold and who would be in Portland to start the season.

Connolly's game-by-game status and Gaustad's injury put us in a tough spot and did away with any depth in moving Hecht from the wing. We needed to bring in a solid two-way center and didn't.

I can't help but think that little rat Recchi effectively ended what looked like a really, really, solid career when he broke Tallinder's arm in the playoffs. Weber should be in the lineup Game 1.

Anyway--my two cents. Hope they can turn it on and get off to a good start.

I don't want it to seem I think that Weber in the lineup makes the Sabres a playoff team. He does make them better just not enough to jump into a playoff spot. From my count the Sabres currently have five forward spots that the Sabres need huge upgrades in order to reach the playoffs. A healthy Gaustad fills one. They still need a another winger for the third line and a complete make over on the fourth line. My only hope is that some of the kids in Portland impress so much that the Sabres can't keep them out of the lineup.

From my count the Sabres currently have five forward spots that the Sabres need huge upgrades in order to reach the playoffs.

That's a bit of a stretch, even if you count Goose as filling one. Bring in a reliable second-line center to play between Hecht and Pommer, and we're definitely in the playoffs. One or two other tweaks gives us a chance to go deep. I don't see the need to replace all three players on the fourth line. If you had that reliable second-line center, then our fourth line when Connolly is playing would be Kaleta-Goose-Mair. That works for me. When Connolly is out, then perhaps we need one more player to play with them. Ellis will be OK, but not great. He can, however, take PK time, which is an important contribution from a fourth liner. If you can find a better, physical winger to play with them that can also take some PK time, then sure, upgrading him would help.

This pretty much sums it up.

Ruff does have an allegiance to the vets--always has. And they slept through preseason for the most part as a result looking like a team that knew who would be in blue and gold and who would be in Portland to start the season.

Connolly's game-by-game status and Gaustad's injury put us in a tough spot and did away with any depth in moving Hecht from the wing. We needed to bring in a solid two-way center and didn't.

I can't help but think that little rat Recchi effectively ended what looked like a really, really, solid career when he broke Tallinder's arm in the playoffs. Weber should be in the lineup Game 1.

Anyway--my two cents. Hope they can turn it on and get off to a good start.

I don't mean to sound like I'm attacking someone cause I'm not, so please bear with me on this - I flat out refuse to hear the term "put us in a tough spot" when talking about Connolly related injuries.

Having Gaustad out bites, but the only ones putting anyone in a tough spot regarding Timmy's health or lack thereof, is in fact US, for being moronic enough to count on him being healthy for any period of time.

/Rant mode off.

Everything else is spot on.

I don't mean to sound like I'm attacking someone cause I'm not, so please bear with me on this - I flat out refuse to hear the term "put us in a tough spot" when talking about Connolly related injuries.

Having Gaustad out bites, but the only ones putting anyone in a tough spot regarding Timmy's health or lack thereof, is in fact US, for being moronic enough to count on him being healthy for any period of time.

/Rant mode off.

Everything else is spot on.

Yeah, you're right--I wasn't clear. Connolly's status has been known for years. I really meant the fact that Gaustad got hurt put us in the spot we're in since we had to move Hecht to center--a move I really dislike. Absolutely agree about Tim though.

That's a bit of a stretch, even if you count Goose as filling one. Bring in a reliable second-line center to play between Hecht and Pommer, and we're definitely in the playoffs. One or two other tweaks gives us a chance to go deep. I don't see the need to replace all three players on the fourth line. If you had that reliable second-line center, then our fourth line when Connolly is playing would be Kaleta-Goose-Mair. That works for me. When Connolly is out, then perhaps we need one more player to play with them. Ellis will be OK, but not great. He can, however, take PK time, which is an important contribution from a fourth liner. If you can find a better, physical winger to play with them that can also take some PK time, then sure, upgrading him would help.

You're OK with only playing Gaustad for 3-4 minutes a game. Ellis/Peters - Mair - Kaleta is a fourth line I would expect to see in Portland not on a NHL team. Even when healthy, which he is not, Mair is a marginal NHL forward. Kaleta is a local kid and I get why people like him. But lets be honest, Kaleta on his best day should only be your 16th forward with limited minutes. Considering the Sabres have no third line to speak of, that is going to put a tremendous burden on the top two lines. Considering the top two lines are on the smallish side and have zero toughness I doubt they can last long under the pressure without injuries.

You're OK with only playing Gaustad for 3-4 minutes a game. Ellis/Peters - Mair - Kaleta is a fourth line I would expect to see in Portland not on a NHL team. Even when healthy, which he is not, Mair is a marginal NHL forward. Kaleta is a local kid and I get why people like him. But lets be honest, Kaleta on his best day should only be your 16th forward with limited minutes. Considering the Sabres have no third line to speak of, that is going to put a tremendous burden on the top two lines. Considering the top two lines are on the smallish side and have zero toughness I doubt they can last long under the pressure without injuries.

I think you're selling Mair short. Seems like the more ice time he gets, the better he plays too. Otherwise, I don't argue.

Archived