[OT] Bills discussion

Corp000085

I'm a Bills fan for life. I always tell people that it isn't something you choose, you are born into it. If it was elective, you would certainly pick another team.

I'll approach next year with the same enthusiasm I approach every season with. If they move, I'll still follow them. I could never root for another team with the intensity I root for my home team..

The difference between winning and losing is slim. A few break one way or the other and the season could be different.

Watching the Bills hand the game away yesterday was almost comical. JP should be done in Buffalo.

The entire season changed on a single play in Arizona. The team hasn't been right since it happened.

I agree with every single point in this article. When/if the Bills leave Buffalo, I'm not sure I could route for another team. If not for the Bills I couldn't deal with selfish, assclown idiots like TO, Plaxico, Shockey, Pacman, and Ocho Doucheo in the NFL.

The worst part of yesterday is the team played very hard, and relatively well. Then the effort gets wasted with one inept call from our inept offensive coordinator (I don't believe Jauron) and a terribly inept QB.

Despite the fact that the Bills were essentially gone from the playoffs even before the loss yesterday, I enjoyed that game just as much as any other and was more crushed then any other loss this season (except the MNF loss to Cleveland because I was there). Even if the team goes 0-16 I'd still be optimistic for the next and I'm already excited about next years possibilities (even with the alleged Jauron extension).

As I sat pondering the worst QBs in Bills history, I found myself unable to decide whether JP is worse than Bruce Mathison, who led us to 2 consecutive 2-14 seasons. I'm open for input on this one.

Also open on whether Jauron is a worse coach than Hank Bullough, Gregg Williams and/or Mike Mularkey. Right now I'm leaning towards better than Bullough and Greggo but worse than Mularkey.

This might be one of those problems without a solution, boys.

The difference in my recollection of the 2 is that Mathison had a hard time completing passes at all..Losman has a hard time getting the ball out without either fumbling, getting sacked or making an idiotic decision..Its not close...The difference between the 2 teams is talent..And this team has a bit more of it than the one Mathison played with..There is a solution one has been rendered the other will in 2 weeks..Get rid of both bums...

The thought that Coach Dick may return for another season makes me wish I still had my season ticket so I could cancel it again. :thumbdown:

What the hell is this quote from his WGR interview?

While both NFL.com and ESPN have reported that Dick Jauron has signed a 3-year extension, the Bills head coach would not admit that he signed a contract extension during his regular Monday press conference. However, when asked if he has received any assurances from management about being in Buffalo next year, he gave this answer.

"Well we haven't really talked about it. In that regard, I suppose none and in that regard, no indication that I won't be."

He really cleared things up, didn't he? (Got that in an email alert from WGR, so no link.)

I hope the Bills move so I don't feel obligated to root for them anymore. The Bills have never been a source of pride for me, just pain. The Bills ruined my childhood and continue to be a disappointment. I don't get to remember the good old days like a lot of you. My first Bills memory is watching them lose to the Skins in the Superbowl when I was 4. Talk about a good start.

The Bills have done nothing in the 16 years I've known they existed.

Some one posted either here or at TSW that we (the Bills) can't/won't spend enough to be more than an 8-8 team (with the rare exceptions of when we fall into talent like during the Kelly era).

The irony would be if they moved to, say, Toronto and had the cash flow to acquire enough talent to make a decent play-off run then many in WNY wouldn't support them. If they moved to, say, LA or San Antonio then after about a year there would be nothing to connect them to WNY at all.

So, the poster suggested, root for them as you have for all of their seasons (most of which were about the same as this year) because once RW "goes away" they will shortly be but a memory.

I hope the Bills move so I don't feel obligated to root for them anymore. The Bills have never been a source of pride for me, just pain. The Bills ruined my childhood and continue to be a disappointment. I don't get to remember the good old days like a lot of you. My first Bills memory is watching them lose to the Skins in the Superbowl when I was 4. Talk about a good start.

The Bills have done nothing in the 16 years I've known they existed.

And what exactly have the Sabres accomplished in the past 16 years that the Bills have not? I love the Sabres to death, but they don't exactly have a stellar franchise history themselves. 0-2 in the Stanley Cup, 2-4 in the conference finals, 5 division titles after 38 seasons worth of opportunities.

The fact is that both franchises are jokes, but a true Buffalonian and Western New Yorker shouldn't hope EITHER relocate. By saying you hope the Bills move, I think you've crossed the line between fan and douchebag. Go #%^$#! yourself, darksabre.

This needs to be squashed immediately. It was a disaster on all fronts. Couldn't sell out the game, gave away thousands of tickets, from a city of how many million?

I wouldn't be surprised if the idiots in control are just telling themselves that the game was not sold out because the Bills didn't have the name Toronto in front of it.

If the Bills ever leave, I'm done w/ NFL football. Same thing goes for the Sabres and the NHL.

I just don't see how any true Bills/Sabres fan could pull for another w/ the same passion and dedication they currently have for them.

I wouldn't be surprised if the idiots in control are just telling themselves that the game was not sold out because the Bills didn't have the name Toronto in front of it.

If the Bills ever leave, I'm done w/ NFL football. Same thing goes for the Sabres and the NHL.

I just don't see how any true Bills/Sabres fan could pull for another w/ the same passion and dedication they currently have for them.

The only thing the NFL is concerned about is the Corporate dollars. As long as the suites will sell there is no concern if the stadium is full.

The only thing the NFL is concerned about is the Corporate dollars. As long as the suites will sell there is no concern if the stadium is full.

And that's the reason professional sports are not what they used to be. Well, I hope corporations in the past were not as much about money as they are today. If their main concern was profit, I'll admit it does hurt some great childhood memories.

This is one of the reasons I'm beginning to like college sports more than professional sports. Sabres and Bills are still at THE top for me. College sports come in after that.

I totally agree with this statement... if one or both left, I wouldn't plan my days around either sport like I do now. but I would miss it... A LOT!

but I'd have more time and money... to do what with I don't know. just more time to be miserable... at least now we are miserable WITH teams, I can't imagine the size of hole it would leave me with if they were gone.

And that's the reason professional sports are not what they used to be. Well, I hope corporations in the past were not as much about money as they are today. If their main concern was profit, I'll admit it does hurt some great childhood memories.

This is one of the reasons I'm beginning to like college sports more than professional sports. Sabres and Bills are still at THE top for me. College sports come in after that.

Sadly college sports are not immune from the corporate influence. The college football bowl season is upon us. The bowl season is this country's worst example of the bastardization of sports.

And what exactly have the Sabres accomplished in the past 16 years that the Bills have not? I love the Sabres to death, but they don't exactly have a stellar franchise history themselves. 0-2 in the Stanley Cup, 2-4 in the conference finals, 5 division titles after 38 seasons worth of opportunities.

The fact is that both franchises are jokes, but a true Buffalonian and Western New Yorker shouldn't hope EITHER relocate. By saying you hope the Bills move, I think you've crossed the line between fan and douchebag. Go #%^$#! yourself, darksabre.

The Sabres gave me the 98-99 Playoff run, and 05-06. Those are fresh enough in my memory to mean something to me. The glory days of the Bills were before my time as a Buffalo sports fan. The Sabres have at least given me something to attach to. When I think of the Sabres I think of listening to them during the playoffs, falling asleep to RJ's voice. I remember a layover at the airport in Philly during the 98 playoffs when we beat Philly and I was reading the newspaper headlines and pissing off Philly fans as a 12 year old. I remember my first game in 1997 against the Bruins at Marine Midland where Rob Ray got his two thousandth penalty minute.

My memories of the Bills are much less encouraging. I get to remember Doug Flutie, Rob Johnson, Wade Phillips, Greg Mularky, JP Losman. I don't know if I watched the other 2 Superbowl losses, I was too young. But I remember the redskins loss. I remember being a Cub Scout and driving around with my dad on fall sunday's listening to the game in the car. I don't think I ever remember the Bills winning a game, specifically a loss to the Colts is stuck in my mind.

And you can go %*$& yourself. I didn't start as a Bills fan. They sucked so much during my childhood I adopted the Patriots after they lost to Green Bay in the Superbowl. I was an avid Pats fan until the whole score running fiasco. I hung it up then and decided I should try to be a Bills fan again, seeing as I'm obligated. But they make it really hard. So yeah, they can go continue to suck as I always remember them having done.

Do I want them to leave? No. Would it break my heart? No. They did that years ago.

The Sabres gave me the 98-99 Playoff run, and 05-06. Those are fresh enough in my memory to mean something to me. The glory days of the Bills were before my time as a Buffalo sports fan. The Sabres have at least given me something to attach to. When I think of the Sabres I think of listening to them during the playoffs, falling asleep to RJ's voice. I remember a layover at the airport in Philly during the 98 playoffs when we beat Philly and I was reading the newspaper headlines and pissing off Philly fans as a 12 year old. I remember my first game in 1997 against the Bruins at Marine Midland where Rob Ray got his two thousandth penalty minute.

My memories of the Bills are much less encouraging. I get to remember Doug Flutie, Rob Johnson, Wade Phillips, Greg Mularky, JP Losman. I don't know if I watched the other 2 Superbowl losses, I was too young. But I remember the redskins loss. I remember being a Cub Scout and driving around with my dad on fall sunday's listening to the game in the car. I don't think I ever remember the Bills winning a game, specifically a loss to the Colts is stuck in my mind.

And you can go %*$& yourself. I didn't start as a Bills fan. They sucked so much during my childhood I adopted the Patriots after they lost to Green Bay in the Superbowl. I was an avid Pats fan until the whole score running fiasco. I hung it up then and decided I should try to be a Bills fan again, seeing as I'm obligated. But they make it really hard. So yeah, they can go continue to suck as I always remember them having done.

Do I want them to leave? No. Would it break my heart? No. They did that years ago.

I told you to go #%^$#! yourself because you are hoping the Bills relocate (see: first sentence, post #505, this thread). You can be as fairweather or as nonexistent a Bills fan as you want for all I care, but it really chaps my ass to hear ANY sports fan actively rooting for the Toronto/L.A. Bills to become a reality...let alone someone from WNY.

I also find it curious that you have no fond memories of the late Super Bowl years and the competitive Butler years, but yet at the same time have conveniently forgotten about all the non-playoff Sabres years around the time of the Rigas scandal. My point being that it's probably only a matter of time before you ditch the Sabres for a team like the Caps or Penguins or Sharks, especially if the Sabres have another 2-3 seasons like the last one.

I told you to go #%^$#! yourself because you are hoping the Bills relocate (see: first sentence, post #505, this thread). You can be as fairweather or as nonexistent a Bills fan as you want for all I care, but it really chaps my ass to hear ANY sports fan actively rooting for the Toronto/L.A. Bills to become a reality...let alone someone from WNY.

I also find it curious that you have no fond memories of the late Super Bowl years and the competitive Butler years, but yet at the same time have conveniently forgotten about all the non-playoff Sabres years around the time of the Rigas scandal. My point being that it's probably only a matter of time before you ditch the Sabres for a team like the Caps or Penguins or Sharks, especially if the Sabres have another 2-3 seasons like the last one.

Get your panties straight, I was being sarcastic. I really couldn't care whether or not they move. I'm not that big on football anyways. The Bills made me that way.

As for the Sabres, I remember the Rigas years. I remember the losing seasons. It wasn't enough to stop me from being a fan. I love the sport of hockey and am a loyal Sabres fan. I will never root for another NHL team. Never.

So just because the Bills suck and you're all bent out of shape about it, doesn't mean you can attack my loyalty to the Sabres. They hold a completely different place in my heart than the Bills ever did, and they will continue to do so for years to come. There's a reason I don't want to leave WNY to pursue my law enforcement career. There's a reason I don't want to go far from this area.

But that reason isn't the Bills.

Sadly college sports are not immune from the corporate influence. The college football bowl season is upon us. The bowl season is this country's worst example of the bastardization of sports.

The money a school makes off a bowl game actually goes towards the funding of that school. The money is used to better their university in what ever way possible.

I do agree outside organizations are exploiting the college game and their making a ton of money off of it. That does make me mad. The Universities should be receiving more money for their participation in bowl games, March madness, etc...

The money a school makes off a bowl game actually goes towards the funding of that school. The money is used to better their university in what ever way possible.

I do agree outside organizations are exploiting the college game and their making a ton of money off of it. That does make me mad. The Universities should be receiving more money for their participation in bowl games, March madness, etc...

I would love to see the numbers on that. I wonder how much of the money made by big time college teams makes it to other parts of the university.

I would love to see the numbers on that. I wonder how much of the money made by big time college teams makes it to other parts of the university.

I ran cross country and track in the South Eastern Conference. The money was and still is used for a number of things. One example being the sports themselves. All of the sports need money in order to function. Most of them do not make a profit, but they need money to exist. Other examples would be facilities, professors, etc... Simply put, when bowl money is won, it increases the amount of money the college has to improve itself.

I ran cross country and track in the South Eastern Conference. The money was and still is used for a number of things. One example being the sports themselves. All of the sports need money in order to function. Most of them do not make a profit, but they need money to exist. Other examples would be facilities, professors, etc... Simply put, when bowl money is won, it increases the amount of money the college has to improve itself.

That's good to hear.

How is this for just plain #%^$#!ing pitiful. Buffalo can set a new record in the NFL by being the first team in history to start off 5-1 and finish with 9 or more loses. So this new record (because they will not beat Denver) and their other gem, the NFL record of losing 4 straight Super Bowls, just goes to show what a disgrace this franchise has become. The only record that is somewhat positive is that they made 4 SBs in a row, but after losing them all, who gives two craps. No one remembers who finished second, unless you're the Bills and you set a record doing it 4 consecutive times. Only in Buffalo.....only in Buffalo. :death: :death: :death: :death: :death:

How's this for pitiful?

Buffalo's Dick "Cheerio, Chaps" Jauron is now 56-74 as a head coach, has coached only one winning season in his career, and in three campaigns with the Bills has two victories over teams that finished with a winning record that year.

It's actually 56-75, since this story was posted before the Jets meltdown.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...terbrook/081209

Archived