[OT] Grillers?

deluca67

It's really a buffalo thing (based out of buffalo anyways). I use to get it back home in Dunkirk NY. Go to your local wegmans out in rochester and I can almost guarantee you that they have it (I haven't been to one that hasn't yet). Give it a shot.

When we lived in WNY I always saw these end-of-the-summer festivals and picnics advertised and they always hyped the Chiavetta's BBQ, and people got real excited about it. It's not bad, but I don't think it's anything to write home about.

When we lived in WNY I always saw these end-of-the-summer festivals and picnics advertised and they always hyped the Chiavetta's BBQ, and people got real excited about it. It's not bad, but I don't think it's anything to write home about.

When you cook it at home it's worth it. I never liked those BBQ cuz they always skimped out on the sauce and didn't have much flavor to it. I know it's not the end all, be all but it is definitely a simple good recipe for grilled chicken.

I'm a big Paula Dean fan. That's where I got the bacon wrapped corn idea. She has an awesome 'butter burger' that I tried and it was fantastic. You freeze a stick of butter then dice it and add it to your ground beef. I add smoked ground pepper. May be the moistest burger you will ever eat.

Yeah, that stuff's good but will kill you quickly.

My wife's from GA and she's the only one in her immediate family that hasn't had to have her heart blown clear due to plaque. Her mother, father, sister & brother have all had it done. They continue to eat fried this, that, and the other covered in bacon and boiled in butter flavored grease. My wife eats pretty healthy (though if she wasn't married to me, she'd probably eat just as bad). Granted, we're late 20's and her closest sibling is 37, but still...

One thing I do... this isn't a big deal or anything fancy or anything... I just make meatloaf and grill it up and eat it like a burger. Pretty damn good. That's about it for me. I can't cook for sh*t, but I love trying. I can't seem to get it right. I usually have crispy chicken or crunchy burgers. I think about the only thing I can actually grill CORRECTLY is a hot dog.

I thought the same thing when I lived there. Gee. BBQ. But after having this thick sauce southern stuff, I miss he Chiavettas like you wouldn't believe. It's not that the stuff here is *bad*, it's just not *correct*. If that makes sense....

Another good on is Spiedes, it's a Binghamton (NY) thing. It's kind of an italian-dressing type marinade that you apply to 1" chunks of chicken (although pork, venison, and beef are common). I'd be surprised it Wegmans in WNY didn't have it, since they have it here in SE PA. Lupo's is the 'original' brand, although I think Wegmans might make their own.

After marinading, just grill them over charcoal.

Another good on is Spiedes, it's a Binghamton (NY) thing. It's kind of an italian-dressing type marinade that you apply to 1" chunks of chicken (although pork, venison, and beef are common). I'd be surprised it Wegmans in WNY didn't have it, since they have it here in SE PA. Lupo's is the 'original' brand, although I think Wegmans might make their own.

After marinading, just grill them over charcoal.

State Fair Spiede sauce is a classic.

I grill often, but pretty simply. Here are some of mine:

1. Ribeye steak with the big chunks of fat trimmed. Lots of salt and a bit of pepper. (FWIW, Costco has great ribeyes).

2. boneless chicken thighs with a good barbecue sauce. as I've aged I've come to realize that the thigh has much more flavor than the breast.

3. asparagus, red/orange/yellow peppers, squash, zucchini, and eggplant -- slice first and marinate in Caesar or Italian dressing. throw them on the grill when the meat is 3 minutes or less from being done.

I'm a big Paula Dean fan. That's where I got the bacon wrapped corn idea. She has an awesome 'butter burger' that I tried and it was fantastic. You freeze a stick of butter then dice it and add it to your ground beef. I add smoked ground pepper. May be the moistest burger you will ever eat.

I've never really followed Paula Dean as I normally speed past the Food Network if Giada is not on, but Paula sounds like the fattiest cook ever. Just add a stick of butter and bacon to everything, it'll be great.

I thought the same thing when I lived there. Gee. BBQ. But after having this thick sauce southern stuff, I miss he Chiavettas like you wouldn't believe. It's not that the stuff here is *bad*, it's just not *correct*. If that makes sense....

Maybe that's why I don't like Chiavetta's - I do tend to like thicker BBQ sauces and Chiavetta's seems thin and watery.

Of course in fairness, I haven't had it at home, just at picnics, festivals, etc., so I don't know if they are skimping on the sauce or not.

It's really a buffalo thing (based out of buffalo anyways). I use to get it back home in Dunkirk NY. Go to your local wegmans out in rochester and I can almost guarantee you that they have it (I haven't been to one that hasn't yet). Give it a shot.

Wegmans even has Chiavettas sauce in Virginia. I'll have to buy a case of it before I move to Ohio next year......

Wolfie, if you're lucky, I'll grill you up a Chiavettas steak while we watch the Sabres in the playoffs in my new house in North Ridgeville.

Wegmans even has Chiavettas sauce in Virginia. I'll have to buy a case of it before I move to Ohio next year......

Wolfie, if you're lucky, I'll grill you up a Chiavettas steak while we watch the Sabres in the playoffs in my new house in North Ridgeville.

Sounds like a good plan to me. :thumbsup:

to take this thread in another tangent, my current grill is in its last throws of life. I've got a char broil propane grill and gas lines, burners, and support metal has started to fall apart, not to mention the grill shell on the bottom has started to corrode... I have a few options:

1) get another propane grill

2) get a charcoal grill, like a round weber grill

3) get something like one of these with this side thing

Obviously, since i provided linkage, option #3 seems to be the one i'm leaning towards... 150 for the grill and 60 for the side smoker piece is much more reasonable than a $300 replacement propane grill or $250 for a round grill. Anyone got any recommendations for a grill that's reasonably priced ($150-300). I don't want some overpriced stainless steel monstrosity... I do want something that I can cook dogs, burgers, chicken, and have the possibility to do smoked ribs, pork, etc.

to take this thread in another tangent, my current grill is in its last throws of life. I've got a char broil propane grill and gas lines, burners, and support metal has started to fall apart, not to mention the grill shell on the bottom has started to corrode... I have a few options:

Obviously, since i provided linkage, option #3 seems to be the one i'm leaning towards... 150 for the grill and 60 for the side smoker piece is much more reasonable than a $300 replacement propane grill or $250 for a round grill. Anyone got any recommendations for a grill that's reasonably priced ($150-300). I don't want some overpriced stainless steel monstrosity... I do want something that I can cook dogs, burgers, chicken, and have the possibility to do smoked ribs, pork, etc.

I've been thinking of getting #3 as well, but realistically, how much will you use the smoker? Are you one of the outdoor-all-weekend types, or not? It gets too damn hot here in GA to be outside much during the summer, so from July - Sept, the grill doesn't get used as much as it would if we still lived up north.

My grill, also a Charbroil propane, has about another season on it.

Lastly, I hear these come highly recommended: http://www.biggreenegg.com/

I've been thinking of getting #3 as well, but realistically, how much will you use the smoker? Are you one of the outdoor-all-weekend types, or not? It gets too damn hot here in GA to be outside much during the summer, so from July - Sept, the grill doesn't get used as much as it would if we still lived up north.

My grill, also a Charbroil propane, has about another season on it.

Lastly, I hear these come highly recommended: http://www.biggreenegg.com/

Well, i wouldn't smoke with it as much as i'd use it for indirect heat. We do a lot of marinated chicken recipies that would cook very well with indirect smoked heat as opposed to regular charcoal or propane flame under the meat. We rarely, if ever, cook hot dogs. It's mostly chicken and steak, unless I come back from buffalo with 30 lbs of sahlens, which I did about 2 weeks ago. It's been hot dogs almost every night since, but the grill probably has under 10 cooking sessions left in it before the plumbing falls apart and/or the bottom falls out.

One of the byproducts of burning propane is water vapor, that's why those types of grills tend to eat themselves from the inside out.

I got a 26" round kettle grill for $27 at Sears. It's never seen charcoal. There's no need for a separate smoking chamber with the size of this thing. I can do an entire pork butt (or two) with very little heat, with the wood and meat at opposite sides. I can also grill up some nice steaks/burgers/dogs/chicken directly over the heat if I want. It's also a snap to keep clean.

Once you move away from gas, you'll never go back.

:wub:

One of the byproducts of burning propane is water vapor, that's why those types of grills tend to eat themselves from the inside out.

I got a 26" round kettle grill for $27 at Sears. It's never seen charcoal. There's no need for a separate smoking chamber with the size of this thing. I can do an entire pork butt (or two) with very little heat, with the wood and meat at opposite sides. I can also grill up some nice steaks/burgers/dogs/chicken directly over the heat if I want. It's also a snap to keep clean.

Once you move away from gas, you'll never go back.

:wub:

wood blocks or just wedges? how long does that take to get going? do you just use papers, etc. to start up?

Has anyone worked with electric smokers with the temperature dial? Alot of people around here use it for bluefish and stripper in the summer; this is the first summer I have dabbled into it.

Archived