[OT] Grillers?

deluca67

wood blocks or just wedges? how long does that take to get going? do you just use papers, etc. to start up?

Has anyone worked with electric smokers with the temperature dial? Alot of people around here use it for bluefish and stripper in the summer; this is the first summer I have dabbled into it.

I use seasoned chunks of wood that fall/are cut from the maple and birch trees in the yard, occasionally adding fruit wood (usually apple) for added flavor. Any hardwood will do, 2-4 18" long pieces==dinner. A section of newspaper/handful of junk mail and a lighter are all that it takes to get it going. The wood fire works just fine and has zero petroleum flavor/odor, unlike charcoal briquettes.

I honestly haven't had any interest in an electric device, except the electric charcoal starter used on the Hibachi when I was a kid, but that's long gone.

than a $300 replacement propane grill or $250 for a round grill. Anyone got any recommendations for a grill that's reasonably priced ($150-300). I don't want some overpriced stainless steel monstrosity... I do want something that I can cook dogs, burgers, chicken, and have the possibility to do smoked ribs, pork, etc.

$250?!!? What kind of round grill are you looking at? Lowes has round Webers for $90. If you're worried about the propane starter, just get two chimney starters for $10/ea. I'll never just lighter fluid (or propane) again.

$250?!!? What kind of round grill are you looking at? Lowes has round Webers for $90. If you're worried about the propane starter, just get two chimney starters for $10/ea. I'll never just lighter fluid (or propane) again.

Come on man, cut me some slack... I've never bought a grill before! the current grill was a present 6 years ago, so i really have no friggin idea! I'll go get something this weekend and let you all look at pretty pictures of my beer can chicken bbq saturday night!

Come on man, cut me some slack... I've never bought a grill before! the current grill was a present 6 years ago, so i really have no friggin idea! I'll go get something this weekend and let you all look at pretty pictures of my beer can chicken bbq saturday night!

My personal favorite http://bbq.about.com/od/chickenrecipes/r/bl50727a.htm the rosemary and lemon are wicked good. It doesn't really need an hour and a half to cook, just get a thigh to 180 degrees.

If I may... make sure your grill is "tall" enough to fit the bird. Trying to close the lid and it sizzles to the standing chicken sucks for keeping the grill steamy hot.

Mmmmm I'm hungry.

I've never spent more than $100 on a grill, and that was gas, and it ate itself within 2 years. :censored:

I'll never buy anything but a kettle again. It doesn't have to be great, just large... you can always build a smaller fire.

Sorry, didn't mean it like that...

Seriously, chimney starters are the best things ever. Fill it with charcoal, put two sheets of balled up newspaper under it (Alton Brown sprays some olive oil on the paper, I've never tried it but it seems like a good idea), and light it up. It does get really hot, so the best place to put it is on the lower rack (that holds the charcoal) in the grill. When the charcoal on the top of the chimney is starting to go gray, dump it on the charcoal rack, spread it out a bit, and let it sit for a couple minutes. After that, you're ready to go. I have a fairly large grill, so I really should have two chimneys, but one is plenty if you're not cooking all day on it and/or you don't need it blazing hot (you don't for chicken). Total lighting time is probably 30 minutes (== one beer), plan ahead! :)

And don't get salmonella. :)

I will second the beer can chicken, and raise you a Beef London Broil.

Marinade overnight in

1/2 cup soy

2 cloves chopped garlic

1/4 cup olive oil

2 tbs sugar

2 tsp ginger powder or 2 tbs fresh chopped ginger

excellent!

I've used this recipe in the past on strip steaks (the big thick one's). Marinate overnight and throw on a raging hot grill for a few minutes on each side. Om nom nom nom.

I'll be putting about 5-6 hours of smoke to some country style pigsickles tomorrow. I burn maple and birch in the grill, with some apple for flavor. No gas or charcoal here. The meat, along with some coleslaw and swiss chard, all from the garden, will make dinner.

The rub for the ribs:

1 T ground black pepper

1 T cayenne

1 T chili powder

2 T ground cumin

2 1/2 T brown sugar

1 T white sugar

1 T oregano

4 T paprika

1 T salt

1 T ground white pepper

1 1/2 T celery salt

3 T garlic powder

No basting or sauce necessary. It also works well with chicken - but that usually needs basting. I just use some leftover rub in some white wine as a basting liquid.

What temp range are you smoking these at? 225-250? Just wondering because I'd like to try this out. I've done chicken and have cured and cold smoked my own bacon, but have not had the chance to do ribs yet.

What temp range are you smoking these at? 225-250? Just wondering because I'd like to try this out. I've done chicken and have cured and cold smoked my own bacon, but have not had the chance to do ribs yet.

I usually smoke at low temp for several hours before putting the spurs to it. There's no thermometer on the grill, so I just wing it. The grill is large enough so that I can get the meat far enough from the fire so it just smokes and is barely cooking, then toss another log or two on at the end for heat. If it seems to be getting too hot, I just pull the cover off for a few minutes.

Oh, one other thing I forgot in that recipe is that once the meat is done, wrap it in foil and put it in a paper bag for about a half hour before eating.

Charcoal is the way to go. The flavor difference is huge. I feel if you use propane you might as well fry whatever in a pan on the stove. I know it's more difficult to control the heat than turning a dial but the results are worth it.

I usually smoke at low temp for several hours before putting the spurs to it. There's no thermometer on the grill, so I just wing it. The grill is large enough so that I can get the meat far enough from the fire so it just smokes and is barely cooking, then toss another log or two on at the end for heat. If it seems to be getting too hot, I just pull the cover off for a few minutes.

Oh, one other thing I forgot in that recipe is that once the meat is done, wrap it in foil and put it in a paper bag for about a half hour before eating.

Thanks. I hope to try it out this weekend :thumbsup: No birch, but I think apple, cherry and maple will work nicely.

Archived