Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Getting paid bi-weekly sucks sometimes.

On a side note, does anyone know anything about the law regarding work? I have tix to the game Saturday, and yesterday my job announced that some of us have to work overtime on Saturday, and that it is mandatory we do so. First time in 4 years that they pulled this.

On a side note, does anyone know anything about the law regarding work? I have tix to the game Saturday, and yesterday my job announced that some of us have to work overtime on Saturday, and that it is mandatory we do so. First time in 4 years that they pulled this.

I don't think you have a leg to stand on. I'd imagine you could make some sort of claim that it violates the 40-hour week or something, but that would be the fast track to losing the job entirely.

New York law states that your employer allow (not require) you to take one day off every seven days, but other than that, I believe that an employer can mandate overtime. Depending on your job, your employer might be required to pay you 150% of your compensation for hours worked over 40 in one week. If you are a unionized employee or have a contract with your employer, you should refer to the collective bargaining agreement or contract.

I don't think you have a leg to stand on. I'd imagine you could make some sort of claim that it violates the 40-hour week or something, but that would be the fast track to losing the job entirely.

Yeah. The only thing I know about, is that our state has at-will employment, so they can fire me for no reason at all if they wanted.

Yeah. The only thing I know about, is that our state has at-will employment, so they can fire me for no reason at all if they wanted.

I'm pretty sure that's the case in the other 49 states, too. Employment is an "at will" contractual relationship unless a contract or CBA states otherwise.

I hope she gets it, too.

I think we're going to see America--and frankly, the rest of the first world--return to another era where more generations of a family live together. I'm not entirely certain that this is a bad thing.

i wouldn't mind living with family ... depending on whose side we're living with.

there's a lot of discussion out here about "emergency preparedness" and "food storage." consequently, there are lots of "emergency preparedness" and "food storage" companies that pop up. lots of canned and boxed goods, lots of bulk items, case lot sales are all the rage in august and march ... i'm all for being stocked up, but what happens when a huge disaster hits? those caught unprepared are going to be left without to feed themselves or what-not. mass lootings, plunderings, pillagings ... how do you defend against THAT?

12 gauge. think i'm kidding? i have no problem feeding someone or giving away a portion of mine to someone who asks for it. you try to take it from me by force, you're going to meet the cold, round, business end of my winchester. wanna partner up and try to consolidate? i very well might be okay with that ... maybe. too many criteria points to list here.

anyway, there are tons of crazies out here who are stockpiling stuff--food, weapons, ammo, toilet paper ... hey, gotta be able to wipe in comfort after the apocalypse, right?

i wouldn't mind living with family ... depending on whose side we're living with.

there's a lot of discussion out here about "emergency preparedness" and "food storage." consequently, there are lots of "emergency preparedness" and "food storage" companies that pop up. lots of canned and boxed goods, lots of bulk items, case lot sales are all the rage in august and march ... i'm all for being stocked up, but what happens when a huge disaster hits? those caught unprepared are going to be left without to feed themselves or what-not. mass lootings, plunderings, pillagings ... how do you defend against THAT?

12 gauge. think i'm kidding? i have no problem feeding someone or giving away a portion of mine to someone who asks for it. you try to take it from me by force, you're going to meet the cold, round, business end of my winchester. wanna partner up and try to consolidate? i very well might be okay with that ... maybe. too many criteria points to list here.

anyway, there are tons of crazies out here who are stockpiling stuff--food, weapons, ammo, toilet paper ... hey, gotta be able to wipe in comfort after the apocalypse, right?

After this post, having Utah in your screen name is redundant. That said, I agree with nearly everything you wrote. The part I don't agree with? Winchester shotguns suck. Go Browning or go home.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I have found--only through my personal experience and a few inferences from what I've read--that the people in states in the Rocky Mountains area are a little bit nuts with this stuff.

I don't think you're kidding with the 12-gauge remark. I actually had an investment advisor advise me to invest in "a shotgun and canned goods" about four weeks ago. I think he's overstating the case, but that mentality is around, even back East.'

I do think there will have to be "partnering up" and "consolidation," as you put it. I think we're going to have to become a society where we help each other more than what we've been used to lately.

My mom has been out of work for over a year now, and the state of SC has cut her unemployment twice. She's already had to declare bankruptcy, has her house in foreclosure, and will be kicked out in November. Her unemployment is getting cut again as of 10/1. She's tried to get jobs anywhere, even Wal-Mart and Target, but they're only hiring for jobs she can't physically do. Thankfully she had an interview with a company on Tuesday, and it seemed to go well. I hope she gets the job, becasue if she doesn't, come 11/20 she'll either be homeless or have to move in with me. Just another reason why being an only child sucks.

I'm happy to report that my mom's interview last week went well and she actually just started working again this past Tuesday in her field of expertise, which is a huge relief. (What a difference a week makes!) The lack of programming jobs is crazy... the guy who hired her said that they'd received 1000 applications from all over the country with people willing to relocate if hired because those jobs are so scarce. Thank goodness things are looking up for her, and I wish the same for your mom, CSB. At least if she does move in with you, maybe she can help care for your son?

I'm happy to report that my mom's interview last week went well and she actually just started working again this past Tuesday in her field of expertise, which is a huge relief. (What a difference a week makes!) The lack of programming jobs is crazy... the guy who hired her said that they'd received 1000 applications from all over the country with people willing to relocate if hired because those jobs are so scarce. Thank goodness things are looking up for her, and I wish the same for your mom, CSB. At least if she does move in with you, maybe she can help care for your son?

Hey congrats to your mom! good to hear something F'N Fantastic on a Thursday :thumbsup:

For me, I went on a business trip for the beginning of the week, driving from Elmira, to Erie, PA, to Akron and Warren OH, to Pittsburgh, and then home. All of that in two days. We (my boss and I) were supposed to meet with 7 companies (6 customers, 1 Material Source). 1 of our customers cancelled as we walked into their office, another cancelled en route to their office, and many others never responded, so we ended up visiting 3 companies, and cutting our trip to just Monday and Tuesday (was supposed to go into Wed).

Now today, I'm still sore from sitting in the car so much (after getting back to Elmira, it's still an hour drive back to my house), and I think I'm getting sick. I was hoping to avoid the office as much as possible because there are 3 people that are sick that are in today and were yesterday too <_<

This is the toughest business enviroment I have ever faced. I work in software sales. Everyday is a complete grind. Honestly I am in the "lucky to have a job" crowd.

I remember when right before this previous Christmas, I was taking my DOT break out near the Rome/Utica area. I popped into Dunkin Donuts around there to grab a breakfast sandwich and watched the spin from the talking heads on CNBC saying that 2011 was going to be a really good year for business and stocks. Well, it's now September, and I haven't seen anything that resembles any sort of improvement. In fact, it's probably gotten worse. The Greek debt crisis has not helped matters any within the EU, and our economy seems to be tied into theirs.

I knew back then not to take the CNBC Keynesians at their word, and I've been proven right. It just stinks for the rest of us who are struggling to provide for our families.

good news!

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I have found--only through my personal experience and a few inferences from what I've read--that the people in states in the Rocky Mountains area are a little bit nuts with this stuff.

I don't think you're kidding with the 12-gauge remark. I actually had an investment advisor advise me to invest in "a shotgun and canned goods" about four weeks ago. I think he's overstating the case, but that mentality is around, even back East.'

I do think there will have to be "partnering up" and "consolidation," as you put it. I think we're going to have to become a society where we help each other more than what we've been used to lately.

oh not at all. i mean, yah, UT has its fair share of 'horders,' as it were, but the real zealots are up in northern montana and idaho. that is psycho-ville.

i'm all for being prepared and stocking up in case of an emergency, but you reach a point where yah, you have all this food, but then what? you just let it sit there and go bad? cans only have a certain shelf life. the common thought around here is to rotate the supply out. use it, but replace it.

not only that, but some people are actually stockpiling things like cake mixes (cuz, you know ... birthdays are still gonna happen), brownie mixes, icing ... my favorite is the concept of buying a freezer to stockpile meat. how long is that gonna last when there isn't any power?

i love it out here. it's unbelievably beautiful. great scenery, metric sh##-ton of hiking all over the place, 6-hour drive to vegas, 12 hour drive to san fran (which if you haven't been to yet, holy mother of moses, get out there), 8 hour drive to denver, and most people out here are just flat-out nice. there are some nut-jobs though. no argument.

Hey congrats to your mom! good to hear something F'N Fantastic on a Thursday :thumbsup:

For me, I went on a business trip for the beginning of the week, driving from Elmira, to Erie, PA, to Akron and Warren OH, to Pittsburgh, and then home. All of that in two days. We (my boss and I) were supposed to meet with 7 companies (6 customers, 1 Material Source). 1 of our customers cancelled as we walked into their office, another cancelled en route to their office, and many others never responded, so we ended up visiting 3 companies, and cutting our trip to just Monday and Tuesday (was supposed to go into Wed).

Now today, I'm still sore from sitting in the car so much (after getting back to Elmira, it's still an hour drive back to my house), and I think I'm getting sick. I was hoping to avoid the office as much as possible because there are 3 people that are sick that are in today and were yesterday too <_<

i can understand needing to go in to work when you're sick. i've done it. hell, we probably all have. if it's bad enough to where i can't function or i know i'm going to have to interact with anyone for any lenght of time, i'll take the day off. however, where i absolutely will not go in is when when it's beyond the common cold. everyone's going to get the cold. that's a given. bronchitis (korab, i feel your pain man ...), strep, pneumonia ... this kinds of illness automatically keep me home 2-3 days. thankfully, my company has a really generous sick/leave time policy. it's pretty helpful.

i can understand needing to go in to work when you're sick. i've done it. hell, we probably all have. if it's bad enough to where i can't function or i know i'm going to have to interact with anyone for any lenght of time, i'll take the day off. however, where i absolutely will not go in is when when it's beyond the common cold. everyone's going to get the cold. that's a given. bronchitis (korab, i feel your pain man ...), strep, pneumonia ... this kinds of illness automatically keep me home 2-3 days. thankfully, my company has a really generous sick/leave time policy. it's pretty helpful.

That's the thing. Our company is extremely generous in regards to sick time. and being a small company, everyone interacts frequently...I do not want to be sick right now...in a few weeks I could care less but with the stuff I'm doing, I need to be healthy a little longer...

That's the thing. Our company is extremely generous in regards to sick time. and being a small company, everyone interacts frequently...I do not want to be sick right now...in a few weeks I could care less but with the stuff I'm doing, I need to be healthy a little longer...

yah, i'm the same. everyone in my house is sick with something except me, but i can feel something starting to brew. i just need to get through today and tomorrow, then i can be sick all of next week, for all i care. but right now, i *have* to get this stuff done. i don't care if i have to put up a biohazard sign on my cube door (biodork, you wouldn't happen to have a spare sticker or two, would you?)

blugh. so glad next week is a short week. 5-4-9 schedules are the best. except for maybe 4-10, which might be better.

yah, i'm the same. everyone in my house is sick with something except me, but i can feel something starting to brew. i just need to get through today and tomorrow, then i can be sick all of next week, for all i care. but right now, i *have* to get this stuff done. i don't care if i have to put up a biohazard sign on my cube door (biodork, you wouldn't happen to have a spare sticker or two, would you?)

blugh. so glad next week is a short week. 5-4-9 schedules are the best. except for maybe 4-10, which might be better.

I gotcha covered; they come in rolls of 500 or so and we'll never use them all! (c;

post-1683-064606900 1316715253_thumb.jpg

Their new billing system is a freaking joke and they didnt process my finacial aid then charged me a late fee cuz they said I didnt pay! WTF!!!! grrrrrr I just want to graduate and be done

The hub is a joke hahaha, i think i heard somewhere that financial aid doesnt get processed until like november, whish is complete BS on all accounts.

The hub is a joke hahaha, i think i heard somewhere that financial aid doesnt get processed until like november, whish is complete BS on all accounts.

They didn't even subtract it they are like "what finacial aid?" I just sent them a nasty email and if they dont respond on monday Im going over to capen to yell in person the freaking d-bags!

The HUB is such a load of crap. Who ever designed it should be fired its like some crappy 1999 website with drop down menus and just sh!t all over the place, what a joke

• Like (+1) 1