Kevin Lowe in the dog house

spndnchz

oh snap.

i have respect for burke. so the fact that burke is calling lowe "gutless" for the way he offered penner tends to shed a positive light on the way our fo responded to the vanek offer sheet during their presser on the subject, this time last year.

nice find, chz.

I admit that I haven't read the article yet. Having said that, Burke definitely has a leg to stand on for this argument. Even when Bobby Clarke put in an offer sheet on Ryan Kesler a couple of years ago, the amount was nowhere near as obscene as what Kevin Lowe did to us and to the Ducks.

I think it goes without saying that Brian Burke will never forgive Kevin Lowe for what he did last offseason.

I admit that I haven't read the article yet. Having said that, Burke definitely has a leg to stand on for this argument. Even when Bobby Clarke put in an offer sheet on Ryan Kesler a couple of years ago, the amount was nowhere near as obscene as what Kevin Lowe did to us and to the Ducks.

I think it goes without saying that Brian Burke will never forgive Kevin Lowe for what he did last offseason.

Last I checked, it was US who got slaughtered for a $7 mill. a year in cap hit, not Burke.

While I agree with everything said in the article though, one thing puzzles me : Why the #%^$#! isn't it Darcy ripping Lowe a new one in the press?

Call me crazy, and overcritical of the Sabres FO, but please - Just because our on-ice product is a bunch of purse-carrying wimps, does that automatically mean our FO has to act the same way?

No wonder this team plays the way it does...... :wallbash:

Last I checked, it was US who got slaughtered for a $7 mill. a year in cap hit, not Burke.

While I agree with everything said in the article though, one thing puzzles me : Why the #%^$#! isn't it Darcy ripping Lowe a new one in the press?

Call me crazy, and overcritical of the Sabres FO, but please - Just because our on-ice product is a bunch of purse-carrying wimps, does that automatically mean our FO has to act the same way?

I'll take your tickets if you don't want them...

I'd believe that behind the scenes, most all GM's are pissed at Lowe. A little stab here, stab there at Lowe is a sign that an organization can show their frustration but still have some class. "They're who we thought they were" comes to mind.

In regards to how Buffalo is looked at, people saying how no one wants to play here because of the FO, etc. I like this quote from LaLime getting into the press:

?From the outside you look at Buffalo, you?re like, ?Whoa, there doesn?t seem like there?s much going on,? ? Lalime said. ?But everyone I spoke to, (Dumont and Biron being two of them) they really love it there and they?re going back to live there, so I think it?s all positive.

?It?s a good family town, a good sports town, good hockey town, good organization, so it made my decision a lot easier.?

Burke did a pretty good job himself of driving his own team into the sewer last season. Maybe it would be easier for Burke to protect his young players if he didn't tie up so much money in aging superstars who play half the season.

Burke blames Lowe for high salaries

"If I had run my team into the sewer like that I wouldn't throw a grenade at the other 29 teams and my own indirectly," said Burke.

Thanks for the link. FWIW, that quote was made last offseason and not recently, although the way it's written makes that a little confusing.

Darcy didn't have to...LQ decided to stick up for the Sabres: "Don't shop here!" :thumbdown:

Besides, we only got slaughtered with that cap hit because we decided to match. We could have gone the route that Anaheim went (let Penner go) but then we probably wouldn't have this fantastic pissing match through the media.

I'd believe that behind the scenes, most all GM's are pissed at Lowe. A little stab here, stab there at Lowe is a sign that an organization can show their frustration but still have some class. "They're who we thought they were" comes to mind.

In regards to how Buffalo is looked at, people saying how no one wants to play here because of the FO, etc. I like this quote from LaLime getting into the press:

?From the outside you look at Buffalo, you?re like, ?Whoa, there doesn?t seem like there?s much going on,? ? Lalime said. ?But everyone I spoke to, (Dumont and Biron being two of them) they really love it there and they?re going back to live there, so I think it?s all positive.

?It?s a good family town, a good sports town, good hockey town, good organization, so it made my decision a lot easier.?

That quote doesn't really say much about the team and the FO though, thats just them talking about the area itself. And why wouldn't you want to go back to live there? If you take the taxes out of the equation, houses aren't that expensive compared to most other cities, and its not a big city, and its not a media circus like a NY or an LA. Lalime's comments said nothing about the front office

That quote doesn't really say much about the team and the FO though, thats just them talking about the area itself. And why wouldn't you want to go back to live there? If you take the taxes out of the equation, houses aren't that expensive compared to most other cities, and its not a big city, and its not a media circus like a NY or an LA. Lalime's comments said nothing about the front office

What do you suppose he meant by "good organization" if not the team?

GO SABRES!!!

I kind of think its a little unfair in blaming Lowe for doing what he did. Unlike some teams, he was just doing whatever he could, under the new CBA, to try and improve his team. If its an unwritten rule that GM's shouldn't go after other teams RFA's, then why even have RFA? The only way you are going to get a RFA is to make an offer on a team that is so close to the cap, it is obvious they won't match, or to offer something big. And if you offer something big, you are the one getting hurt because the compesation is big, and its a huge risk that the player will eventually play up to their contract. I give Lowe credit for doing whatever he could under the rules, to try and improve his team now.

GO SABRES!!!

I was focusing more on the other part where he mentioned how he spoke to former players and they said that they were loking to move back afterwards. The only thing he says about the team and FO is that its a good organisation, which about 99.9% of all new players say about whatever team they just joined. He didn't break it down and say that they have a good front office.

I was focusing more on the other part where he mentioned how he spoke to former players and they said that they were loking to move back afterwards. The only thing he says about the team and FO is that its a good organisation, which about 99.9% of all new players say about whatever team they just joined. He didn't break it down and say that they have a good front office.

Twelve posts in to a thread concerning two different GMs, and we're taking more shots at the FO. Why am I not surprised? <_<

GO SABRES!!!

Apus views it this way:

?It?s a good family town, except for that street on the East side, a good sports town, except for that dart league on the South side, a good hockey town, except for that Pecaroro momma, and a good organization, besides those two guys up front, so it made my decision a lot easier.?

Twelve posts in to a thread concerning two different GMs, and we're taking more shots at the FO. Why am I not surprised? <_<

Perhaps because the FO bashing is the only actual proof that we HAVE a FO, atm? :thumbsup:

On a more serious note, I'd just like to see them TRY and do something...

They talk the talk alright, but come nowhere near walking the walk.

Reminds me of the Sabres after losing games "We need to play smarter than this", "We need to work hard", "We can't expect to win games playing like this", "We need to be physical", "We need to be better on special teams".

Always saying the right things, but when push comes to shove, it's nothing more than talk.

Again, I wonder where the players are picking up their bad habits?

Kind of contradicts those that say players can't wait to get out of here, doesn't it?

What the hell else do you want him to say?? He said it is a good organization. Most logical people could assume that FO is implied.

What the hell else do you want him to say?? He said it is a good organization. Most logical people could assume that FO is implied.

Key word there. When I've gone on job interviews I've always said nice things about my previous places of employment, even if they were run by poop-flinging monkeys.

One player's interpretation of what makes a franchise a "good organization" could be completely different from another's.

Key word there. When I've gone on job interviews I've always said nice things about my previous places of employment, even if they were run by poop-flinging monkeys.

One player's interpretation of what makes a franchise a "good organization" could be completely different from another's.

I thought the key word was LOGICAL. :D

Thats basically what I meant. Spndchz was trying to use that quote from him to say that players view the Sabres as a good place to play with a good FO, when he really doesn't say that besides the typical they are a good organisation, which could mean anything and is a very broad and vague compliment. I would agree, they are a good organisation. They have an owner who has money and is committed to keeping them financially viable in Buffalo, great coaching, and some good players. I didn't mention anything about a good FO though.

If you want to play with Assumptions, then i guess anytime someone says that the Sabres are a good team that it means Andrew Peters is a good NHL player.

The quote was more about Buffalo in general, not about the team itself or the teams front office. I didn't expect him to say anything else, its the typicalcomment you will hear from any player joining a new team, but I wouldn't use that comment to try and prove that the rest of the league and the players view Sabres front office as one of the better front offices, or that players are lining up wanting to play here

I found this funny ... our front office did speak out... and were mocked because of it....

Burke did a pretty good job himself of driving his own team into the sewer last season. Maybe it would be easier for Burke to protect his young players if he didn't tie up so much money in aging superstars who play half the season.

This was just too good to pass up.

Kevin Lowe fires back.

I stand corrected on my earlier post.

I have to admit, Lowe makes a LOT of great points! He did inherit a great team, he did leave an empty cupboard (outside of Sedins) in Vancouver and he is a lot of bluster. Remember when he was the Colin Campbell of the NHL before Colin Campbell, he had a lot of bluster in his press statements back then as well. Now I'm not a big fan of Burke anyway, but I also liked the ring comparison line!

Archived