Kevin Lowe in the dog house

spndnchz

I kind of think its a little unfair in blaming Lowe for doing what he did. Unlike some teams, he was just doing whatever he could, under the new CBA, to try and improve his team. If its an unwritten rule that GM's shouldn't go after other teams RFA's, then why even have RFA? The only way you are going to get a RFA is to make an offer on a team that is so close to the cap, it is obvious they won't match, or to offer something big. And if you offer something big, you are the one getting hurt because the compesation is big, and its a huge risk that the player will eventually play up to their contract. I give Lowe credit for doing whatever he could under the rules, to try and improve his team now.

Burke in the article mentions how he thinks RFA contracts are fair play but what Lowe was doing was basically offering outrages sums to RFAs making the second contract obsolete. This is why we're seeing the rise in salaries for young players. The second contract is gone and they're going from their rookie contract to the third big money contract instead of that middle happy ground.

I have to admit, Lowe makes a LOT of great points! He did inherit a great team, he did leave an empty cupboard (outside of Sedins) in Vancouver and he is a lot of bluster. Remember when he was the Colin Campbell of the NHL before Colin Campbell, he had a lot of bluster in his press statements back then as well. Now I'm not a big fan of Burke anyway, but I also liked the ring comparison line!

Why? He won at least 4 of them playing with guys named.. oh i dunno., GRETZKY and MESSIER and KURRI, FUHR etc.. put me on that team, i'll win a few.

Holy crap. I have even less respect for Lowe now. It doesn't matter what his opinion of Burke is at this point, or whether any of his 'points' are truth or exaggerations of perspective. The bottom line is, that's the lowest road taken by any GM in a professional sport that I've ever read, and any owner that respects the game and the importance of intra-league relationships and public perception would have to $hit-can his ass. First and foremost, never, EVER minimize another team's cup victory, and never prop your own accomplishments up like you would put up your 'dukes'. He comes off as a total spaz laughingstock.

Holy crap. I have even less respect for Lowe now. It doesn't matter what his opinion of Burke is at this point, or whether any of his 'points' are truth or exaggerations of perspective. The bottom line is, that's the lowest road taken by any GM in a professional sport that I've ever read, and any owner that respects the game and the importance of intra-league relationships and public perception would have to $hit-can his ass. First and foremost, never, EVER minimize another team's cup victory, and never prop your own accomplishments up like you would put up your 'dukes'. He comes off as a total spaz laughingstock.

I disagree. You really can't blame Lowe for taking a stab back. Burke's been jawing at him for an entire year. Lowe didn't say the Ducks didn't deserve to win a Cup, he said Burke walked into a great situation. I can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing.

Why? He won at least 4 of them playing with guys named.. oh i dunno., GRETZKY and MESSIER and KURRI, FUHR etc.. put me on that team, i'll win a few.

And Kevin Lowe didn't have anything to do with that?

How many did Gretzky win without Lowe? 0

How many did Messier win wthout Lowe? 0

How many did Kurri win without Lowe? 0

I'm clearly not making the point that Lowe was the reason they won those championships, that's not it at all. But Lowe was a very important part of that team and deserves to win those 6 rings. He's not the 23rd guy on the team who was scratched every night. He was a VERY key contributor.

Based on that logic, does that mean that Dennis Rodman has no right to claim rings? He was never the top 2 players on a starting 5 yet he has quite a few rings. What about Bob Horry? Should I tell him I have as many rings as him since he's never even been one of the best three players on any team he's been on? I understand that Lowe was not the top player (or even top 4) on any of his Cup winning teams but he was not the last guy on the bench either and deserves the right to say he has as many rings as he has. And since Burke is a jerk-off anyway, I have no problem with using it against that windbag.

And Kevin Lowe didn't have anything to do with that?

How many did Gretzky win without Lowe? 0

How many did Messier win wthout Lowe? 0

How many did Kurri win without Lowe? 0

I'm clearly not making the point that Lowe was the reason they won those championships, that's not it at all. But Lowe was a very important part of that team and deserves to win those 6 rings. He's not the 23rd guy on the team who was scratched every night. He was a VERY key contributor.

Based on that logic, does that mean that Dennis Rodman has no right to claim rings? He was never the top 2 players on a starting 5 yet he has quite a few rings. What about Bob Horry? Should I tell him I have as many rings as him since he's never even been one of the best three players on any team he's been on? I understand that Lowe was not the top player (or even top 4) on any of his Cup winning teams but he was not the last guy on the bench either and deserves the right to say he has as many rings as he has. And since Burke is a jerk-off anyway, I have no problem with using it against that windbag.

how many did lowe win without messier?

you take lowe off those oiler teams and they still win.

that's my point.

He's an underachieving wanna-be in terms of success in the NHL. He won a Stanley Cup? Great. I've won six Stanley Cups, you want to count rings?-Kevin Lowe on Brian Burke

Ouch!

That's the low road stuff that makes me very glad that we don't have a GM that would embarrass the organization with a teenager's bravado and lack of professional judgment.

That's the low road stuff that makes me very glad that we don't have a GM that would embarrass the organization with a teenager's bravado and lack of professional judgment.

This I can agree with.

Yay!

And ah, dude? Is that a wolf statue or a wild boar behind your son?

Wolf statue. The pic was taken outside the "Wolf Wilderness" exhibit at the Cleveland Zoo.

One benefit that was supposed to come out of the lock-out was a rational salary system. If that meant a gentleman's agreement to ignore RFA (which may have been a negotiated benefit for the players-I personnal don't know) then so be it.

Lowe (and maybe other GMs-again, I don't know) have unfortunately abused RFA to drive salaries up. Vanek should be making about 3-4 million per year (if I remember discussions on this board about a year ago (and this may be a little on the high side of estimates) and he could be continuing his development without the incredible pressure his contract has placed upon him (he wasn't even involved in shoot-outs in the second half of last year-presumably because of the pressure he was placing upon himself).

The NHL is a league with a lot of small-market teams (either because of truly small markets like ours or small interest in large markets like LA) and blowing holes in team salary structures hurts a lot of teams. I only wish other GMs could follow Burke's lead and call out someone like Lowe for damaging the sport the way he has with his RFA offers.

Well, one thing's for sure. There won't be any trades between the Ducks and the Oilers while either one of those guys are GM's of their respective teams.

Yes, the whole thing about "teenager's bravado and lack of professional judgment" is quite unnerving to say the least. However, had Burke shut up after saying his peace last year, that would have been done and over. He didn't and refused to shut up about it. That's probably when Lowe figured that he'd heard enough of Burke's puerile rants and called him out on it.

Looks like another Hatfield-McCoy rivalry brewing in the NHL.

Looking back at the Lowe/Burke feud

* I think the Oilers got their face ripped off when they traded Pronger to the Ducks. Smid? Lupol? Some 20007/2008 draft picks? Yikes. Maybe the Oilers will be better positioned in 2011-12 but that trade really set up the Ducks 2007 Cup run.

* Burke complaining about the Penner signing when he threw $4 million per year at an injury prone, ill-disciplined, way-past-his-prime Bertuzzi is rich. I have no respect for what Bertuzzi did to Steve Moore so this isn't an objective opinion, but the Bertuzzi signing by Burke was horrible. Somewhat confirmed recently when the Ducks punted Bertuzzi onto waivers and will likely have to buy out his contract.

Well, thats all ive got.

Well, one thing's for sure. There won't be any trades between the Ducks and the Oilers while either one of those guys are GM's of their respective teams.

Yes, the whole thing about "teenager's bravado and lack of professional judgment" is quite unnerving to say the least. However, had Burke shut up after saying his peace last year, that would have been done and over. He didn't and refused to shut up about it. That's probably when Lowe figured that he'd heard enough of Burke's puerile rants and called him out on it.

Looks like another Hatfield-McCoy rivalry brewing in the NHL.

By focusing on the Lowe Road in my comment I don't mean to suggest that Burke is doing the right thing, either. It's embarrassing. But fun!

I just think that Burke had it on one level, and Lowe took it lower.

I like Mac-T's comment that Burke is like the 'Wizard of Oz.' Once you get past all the bluster and B.S., there is nothing behind the guy. Burke took it too far going after Lowe. At the same time, Lowe used to be a class act, but he went overboard with his comments. This goes to show you that, someimes, former players don't make polished/ savvy corporate types -- even in hockey. When you think of the GM meetings in FLorida this season, I can see Burke and Lowe going toe-to-toe in the lobby. My money is on Kevin to beat the $hit out of Burke.

I would love to hear what John Zeigler would have to say about all of this...

Looking back at the Lowe/Burke feud

* I think the Oilers got their face ripped off when they traded Pronger to the Ducks. Smid? Lupol? Some 20007/2008 draft picks? Yikes. Maybe the Oilers will be better positioned in 2011-12 but that trade really set up the Ducks 2007 Cup run.

* Burke complaining about the Penner signing when he threw $4 million per year at an injury prone, ill-disciplined, way-past-his-prime Bertuzzi is rich. I have no respect for what Bertuzzi did to Steve Moore so this isn't an objective opinion, but the Bertuzzi signing by Burke was horrible. Somewhat confirmed recently when the Ducks punted Bertuzzi onto waivers and will likely have to buy out his contract.

Well, thats all ive got.

Yeah you're totally right, hockey all together is becoming out of control again. No point at pointing fingers.

Sorry I missed this earlier ... yes, been at Rivals for 4 years now ... in fact, four years to the DAY ... time flies ...

Wow, congrats. When I was in Tally I did some writing for The Osceola, whose online home is Warchant.com, AKA Florida State's Rivals site.

Do you write for them, or in another role?

Wow, congrats. When I was in Tally I did some writing for The Osceola, whose online home is Warchant.com, AKA Florida State's Rivals site.

Do you write for them, or in another role?

Warchant is one of our best sites.

I'm the front page editor and the college player/coach databse editor for the national site ... don't do a lot of writing anymore ... mostly just presentation and managing the front page and the individual sport front pages.

Warchant is one of our best sites.

I'm the front page editor and the college player/coach databse editor for the national site ... don't do a lot of writing anymore ... mostly just presentation and managing the front page and the individual sport front pages.

Nice. I used to do some of the seminoles.com website stuff when I was a grad assistant in FSU's sports info department, and I'm sure some of my work from my time at the Osceola is probably buried in the Warchant.com paid archives.

Archived