Does Darcy have his hand tied? Lookin like so

navybillsfan

We draft and draft and let players slip away in FA with nothing in return. Are we the Pittsburgh Pirates of Hockey? Nothing more than a farm team with a Billionare owner looking to make a buck? :blink: Teams are out their making deals and trades and this team has not done a thing to become better than last season.

YOU HAVE TO TAKE A CHANCE AND SPEND MONEY TO WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP!

Nothing worse than seeing these expansion and new city teams winning championships while we watch our greatest chance slip away.

I read the posts nailing people who get p'd off with this teams managers and their lackluster dedication to the Buffalo fan base. Why rip them? Im starting to think they are right and we are wrong.

WE ARE WAY BEHIND THE TALENT LINE OF THE EAST NOW!

Heres some facts..

We will not win the cup for years to come

We have no top players (Miller.... He will be gone)

Same team, same old crap....

How do you let management know your p'd when they dont listen? Dont buy a ticket...

Say what you wish, but the truth sucks

We draft and draft and let players slip away in FA with nothing in return. Are we the Pittsburgh Pirates of Hockey? Nothing more than a farm team with a Billionare owner looking to make a buck? :blink: Teams are out their making deals and trades and this team has not done a thing to become better than last season.

Nothing worse than seeing these expansion and new city teams winning championships while we watch our greatest chance slip away.

I read the posts nailing people who get p'd off with this teams managers and their lackluster dedication to the Buffalo fan base. Why rip them? Im starting to think they are right and we are wrong.

Heres some facts..

How do you let management know your p'd when they dont listen? Dont buy a ticket...

While I can understand frustration, these don't qualify as facts.

Seeing the same pattern of behavior over and over again yet expected some different result can be frustrating. I too am dismayed they have not made any free agent moves with the exception of signing Lalime. Although I certainly did not expect them to go after any of the top tier names. Did these teams overpay? Probably, but that's the nature of the free agent system. Some will look brilliant, others stupid. Only what happens during the season will decide which.

I'm not looking to rip management, their job is not an easy one. What I'd like to understand is their expectations. Given the team going into next season looks almost the same as last year's model what different result can they expect?

Hopefully, they'll make some moves in the next week or so to solidify the lineup and add some toughness and grit to go along with the scoring and speed this team posesses.

Even you must realize how ridiculous you sound when you say those are "facts". You can't predict the future.

Also, if everyone followed your advice and didn't buy tickets, guess what? You'd be done complaining because we wouldn't have a team anymore.

Let's play a game. Look at when navybillsfan and SHAAAUGHT!!! last posted on thie board before today.

Exactly what I was thinking!

Heres some facts..

The '05 -'06 team wasn't built through stupid FA signings, and neither will any other Sabres teams in the future. It's a different way of business that is necessary due to the market the team is based in. I'd rather not have the team cycling through 10 years of sucking/1 year potential winning a cup. More 3 like three strong years with potential and 1 to 2 years of sucking.

Oh, just so you know, the season doesn't start for quite awhile. Keep your pants on.

Heres some facts..

Again, I can understand the frustration of last season....but please enlighten us who should have the Sabres overpaid for at the expense of possibly losing Pomer or Miller?

You wanted Redden, who has seen his better days for 6+ mil per?

Who did you want to see the Sabres overpay for?

You do not think the Sabres have a solid nucleus?

I do.

And I think even in 1-2 years time, IF Regier and management play their cards right, we can right back at the top soon.

Enlighten us, who saves this team, Jeff Finger?

I know that people want to see the team built through free agency with big name stars but that was not how our success was built in the future. Briere was not a first line center before he came here. Neither was Drury. The fact is that the Sabres success has come from trades, developing within the system, and getting/developing mid level talent into starting talent. Its always nice to see new faces via free agency, but in my opinion, it is not the only or the best way to build a team in the CBA era.

Again, I can understand the frustration of last season....but please enlighten us who should have the Sabres overpaid for at the expense of possibly losing Pomer or Miller?You wanted Redden, who has seen his better days for 6+ mil per?

Who did you want to see the Sabres overpay for?

You do not think the Sabres have a solid nucleus?

I do.

And I think even in 1-2 years time, IF Regier and management play their cards right, we can right back at the top soon.Enlighten us, who saves this team, Jeff Finger?

Whether we sign anyone or not do you think they are eager to sign a contract going into their contract year after seeing how the exsabres have scored in freeagency? I wouldnt..

We were on top thats the frustration

Whether we sign anyone or not do you think they are eager to sign a contract going into their contract year after seeing how the exsabres have scored in freeagency? I wouldnt..

We were on top thats the frustration

Hasn't everyone scored in free agency? I wouldn't limit it to ex-Sabres.

Thus far, Im disappointed with the Sabres move during the first two days of free agency. Two thoughts:

-We failed to sign a rugged, hard hitting defenseman; and with the new schedule for next season, Im afraid the western conference teams will plow over us in our own end. Several good top four defenseman were available, players such as Orpik and Commodore. Either one of those above mentioned players would have provided consistent, rugged stay at home defense.

-The Patrick Lalime signing seems to have been a desperation act on Regier's part. Goalie signings were coming in fast and furious, and it seems like the Sabres were stuck with the last UFA goalie who's name wasn't Ray Emery. I would have much rather had Auld, but Ottawa beat us to him. Hopefully this wont be Buffalo's 3rd terrible goalie signing in as many years.

Darcy will have to work some magic via the trade route in the coming weeks to upgrade this team if he hopes to compete for a playoff spot in the 08-09 season.

The thing that has tied Darcy's hands the most is the contracts that they cannot get out from under for players whose contribution they cannot count on this year. Whether they were bad deals to begin with or under performing players, the Sabres are paying Tim, Ales and Max $9.5 million dollars with a $8.6 cap hit. It is likely that none of these three players will make a significant contribution this year. They could have replaced these three with one sniper and upgraded one of the three veteran d-men on the books and still been at their budget of $50 million. Detroit right now have 20 players under contract with a cap hit of just over $53 million. It isn't that Buffalo doesn't pay, they have just made mistakes with who they pay.

I believe that if Buffalo does nothing, and I still believe they will do something, it will be because they can't rid themselves of these three contracts.

They could rid themselves of those three contracts easily, as long as they expect a lopsided return.

And I don't believe the contracts of those above mentioned players (Tim, Kotalik and Maxim) have much to do with the lack of any significant signings in the past two days. All three of those players will be on the last year of their deals this upcoming season.

If Sabres management is "handcuffed" by these three players who seem to "under perform", then management has nothing to fear, as they'll be gone after this season. With 12 million dollars in available cap space going into this season, plus the 8.5 million that will open when Tim, Kotalik and Maxim depart at the end of the season, we should have zero fear in committing to a long term contract with a quality player.

-The Patrick Lalime signing seems to have been a desperation act on Regier's part. Goalie signings were coming in fast and furious, and it seems like the Sabres were stuck with the last UFA goalie who's name wasn't Ray Emery. I would have much rather had Auld, but Ottawa beat us to him. Hopefully this wont be Buffalo's 3rd terrible goalie signing in as many years.

I really thought Lalime was a very solid choice.

How you would think Lalime looks desperate compared to Auld I don't know?

I think whoever signs Emery will be in more desperation.

The thing that has tied Darcy's hands the most is the contracts that they cannot get out from under for players whose contribution they cannot count on this year. Whether they were bad deals to begin with or under performing players, the Sabres are paying Tim, Ales and Max $9.5 million dollars with a $8.6 cap hit. It is likely that none of these three players will make a significant contribution this year. They could have replaced these three with one sniper and upgraded one of the three veteran d-men on the books and still been at their budget of $50 million. Detroit right now have 20 players under contract with a cap hit of just over $53 million. It isn't that Buffalo doesn't pay, they have just made mistakes with who they pay.

I believe that if Buffalo does nothing, and I still believe they will do something, it will be because they can't rid themselves of these three contracts.

Call me crazy, but I'd call 23-20-43 a significant contribution. I don't understand the Kotalik hate. His cap hit is only 2.3 million. Compare that to the money Michael Ryder just got and then look at their numbers. At least Kotalik was able to stay a part of the active roster the entire season.

Hah this is true. Emery would be more useful as a sparring partner for an up and coming boxer than a back up goalie.

Emery could have been the back up goalie and the enforcer. At least he doesn't fight like a girl like the Sabres incumbent enforcer.

Emery could have been the back up goalie and the enforcer. At least he doesn't fight like a girl like the Sabres incumbent enforcer.

That idea is so brilliant I cannot believe that LQ didn't come up with it as a way to save TG some cash. Emery skates a regular 4th-line shift on the nights Miller plays and gets about 12-15 starts, thus guaranteeing TG doesn't pay some "backup goalie" a full year's salary to sit on the bench for 60+ games.

Hah this is true. Emery would be more useful as a sparring partner for an up and coming boxer than a back up goalie.

hmmmm... Maybe we've been looking at this all wrong. Let's say we sign Emery and replace his goalie stick with one of those longish d-men sticks or a club. Problem solved. We now have our d-man with a bonafide attitude. Sure the skills part might be weak to start with, but I'll betcha he would enjoy getting even with some of his previous teammates in Ottawa and other EC forwards. And he'd come cheap!!!

EDIT: I see others have beaten me to the punch on this..

Archived