Does Darcy have his hand tied? Lookin like so

navybillsfan

Call me crazy, but I'd call 23-20-43 a significant contribution. I don't understand the Kotalik hate. His cap hit is only 2.3 million. Compare that to the money Michael Ryder just got and then look at their numbers. At least Kotalik was able to stay a part of the active roster the entire season.

I'm not a big fan, but I'm not a big hater. I believe he is just one of those players that are not good enough to be on the top two lines and not responsible enough to be on a checking line and obviously doesn't bring the things I would want on a fourth line.

On top of that, the only times I remember him making a difference in a game, it was in a negative way.

Mostly, I think what would Darcy and Larry wish for if they had the power to control the season. I think they would want lines that look like this;

Vanek-Roy-Bernier

Hecht-Connolly-Pominville

Paille-Gaustad-Stafford

Mair-Mystery Veteran-Mair

We all know that Connolly is least likely to make it and there is no sign in this scenario of Max and Ales. That is why I consider them likely to make insignificant contributions.

Kotalik's only use is on the power play. His offensive vision isn't good enough to place him in the top 2 lines, and his defensive awareness is terrible. He fails to use his size as an advantage alongside the boards, leaving me an impression he is just a lazy player.

At this point in time, he is worth the 2 million cap hit he brings. He has some value due to his cannon of a shot. However, he won't be worth resigning. He is another player I hope the Sabres can trade before we let him walk as UFA.

Kotalik's only use is on the power play. His offensive vision isn't good enough to place him in the top 2 lines, and his defensive awareness is terrible. He fails to use his size as an advantage alongside the boards, leaving me an impression he is just a lazy player.

At this point in time, he is worth the 2 million cap hit he brings. He has some value due to his cannon of a shot. However, he won't be worth resigning. He is another player I hope the Sabres can trade before we let him walk as UFA.

Kotalik was the best Sabre in shootouts.

No small thing.

No small thing.

True true. His hits are respectable and he scores goals. Always dangerous on the shootout. Never expected to be a playmaker. If he could find a way to look like he plays every shift, he could be a fan favorite. He brings enough to the table to want him back in the lineup. That said, I understand the frustration.

Of course he has his hands tied. Its easy to see. The thing is I don't blame him as much as I do LQ and TG. Those are the two that set the boundaries for DR. He then needs to turn water into wine on a shoestring budget and try to field a somewhat competitive team. They have maintained that the team must operate and be fiscally responsible.

On the other hand, I cringe when hearing our GM say "We have no idea the market would go where its going". We've heard this for the last two years and its getting old. Did he honestly think that this offseason was going to be the one where salary's go down? I have to believe he knows dam well where the market is going.

Also- Message to DR....Please....Don't keep announcing to the world that you have a self imposed value on players. Thats like saying "Hi...Were Cheap, and we are going to do our best to get you on the cheap"

Finally..Not to be the crusher of dreams, but based on what he have seen today let me ask all of you this....If you were the agent of Miller and Pommer would you "advise" them to sign a contract with the sabres (When you know that the team has their own value system) or would you "advise" them go into FA when you know they would break the bank! Remember- Take your Fan hat off, and become the players agent. Its an easy decision, and should show all of us how this is going to play out.

No small thing.

as amended by x, i agree with conn smythe's take on kotalik -- although i do think he's serviceable on the second line (well, is "serviceable" "good enough"? maybe not).

your profile says your new, conn -- is that actually so? (it's now always easy to tell following the crash we had a while back.) if you are new, then welcome -- your posts to date suggest that you'll be a valued member of this community.

Here's what I find frustrating and disappointing at this point - it is plain to all that the Swordsmen would benefit by adding a rugged, physical defenseman. Orpik and Commodore fit the mold. Each signed for less than 4 million per year - it didn't take overpaying like the Hawks did for Campbell. In addition, while Aaron Miller also fits the mold, he's past his prime and likely has little time left. Again, I understand passing on him simply because of age. On the other hand while Darcy acknowledges he is looking for defense he ADMITS that no contract was offered to Orpik because he ASSUMED he was too expensive. Come on, at least make and offer and find out - how difficult or time consuming is that!

I'm not a big fan, but I'm not a big hater. I believe he is just one of those players that are not good enough to be on the top two lines and not responsible enough to be on a checking line and obviously doesn't bring the things I would want on a fourth line.

On top of that, the only times I remember him making a difference in a game, it was in a negative way.

Mostly, I think what would Darcy and Larry wish for if they had the power to control the season. I think they would want lines that look like this;

Vanek-Roy-Bernier

Hecht-Connolly-Pominville

Paille-Gaustad-Stafford

Mair-Mystery Veteran-Mair

We all know that Connolly is least likely to make it and there is no sign in this scenario of Max and Ales. That is why I consider them likely to make insignificant contributions.

I think you are expecting a little too much from poor Adam Mair to double shift on the same line.

When I look at our *ahem* number one line, and the compare it to Detroit, my enthusiasm for this season starts to wane.

Has there been any movement with Gaborik? I know that there's a lot of "we don't need a winger" talk, but it would be nice to have a big fish in the lineup. I just want some reason for enthusiasm other than the thought that maybe we'll win in a few shootouts this year and sneak into the playoffs.

By the way, what's going on with our friends up in Ottawa? I bet they are ten times more pi$$ed than we are. The wheels came off last year and the best they've done is sign a somewhat serviceable backup goalie? Granted, getting rid of Emery was addition by subtraction, but I expected to see them as bigger players in the market this year. I miss the expansion days when they stunk every year. When do their fans have to suffer again?

So his hands are tied because the Owner tells him he has a budget to follow? You all know almost every team is given a budget (some call it the Cap) to play with. DR's is not that far from the cap, I'd say the hardest one for him would have been the first year after the lockout when they were close to $10 mil IIRC below the cap, but then they followed that up with playing right against the cap (and he had alot of flexability to make moves because almost everyone was a FA of some sorts), and last year he was I believe within $5 mil of the cap, and that was mostly to give him flex room at the deadline.

If you want to blame TG and LQ because they set a budget, you might as well blame yourself too, because they set that budget to ensure they can turn some kind of profit, or atleast break even, so that we can all enjoy a hockey team in the area that we can all afford.

There is no evidence anywhere else that poor Darcy has his hands tied more then any other NHL GM. If that were true, I really don't see why he would sign an extension with them

Archived