Brian Campbell signs with Chicago; 8 years 56.8 mil

Goodfella25

It's good to see our ex-players sucking other teams caps dry. Now we need a team to suck Max out of our ass.

If this is a contract year for Max, he may try to step it up for a bigger reward.

At the very least, I hope that Darcy can see through Max's smokescreen if that is what it turns out to be.

You can't really fault Campbell for the giant offer, just like you couldn't fault vanek last year. It would be easy to say things like "he's out west now, he flopped in the playoffs in 08, he's not worth the $$", but this is Brian Campbell and he is capable of stepping up well beyond his capabilities. Remember, we all loved him till about a week before the trade deadline last year. It will be one hell of a challenge for him to bring his game out there, but he can do it. Now will he? We'll have to decide in october!

Chicago got screwed big time. I hope they plan on winning games 8-7 because Soupy isn't going to help them in their own end of the rink.

Difference is they've got guys that CAN play defense.

Side note: does this mean Duncan Keith is available??? Darcy, get on the phone!

Wow Tallon, you have a bunch of great young talent on your team that you'll eventually have to pay for. Way to handcuff yourself to an over rated defenseman that doesn't play defense.

Not to mention the big bucks now have invested in their mediocre goaltenders. Campbell will be the free agent bust of the decade. Good riddance.

You can't really fault Campbell for the giant offer, just like you couldn't fault vanek last year. It would be easy to say things like "he's out west now, he flopped in the playoffs in 08, he's not worth the $$", but this is Brian Campbell and he is capable of stepping up well beyond his capabilities. Remember, we all loved him till about a week before the trade deadline last year. It will be one hell of a challenge for him to bring his game out there, but he can do it. Now will he? We'll have to decide in october!

Always liked him, never loved him...too inconsistent defensively...he's getting future hall-of-famer kind of $$ now and he won't come close to meeting those expectations...lucky for him he's headed to an apathetic hockey market like Chicago and not a place where people actually live and die with the game or he'd be miserable by year 2...

Difference is they've got guys that CAN play defense.

Side note: does this mean Duncan Keith is available??? Darcy, get on the phone!

I was going to say the same thing - Keith, Seabrook, Byfuglien...

Not to mention the big bucks now have invested in their mediocre goaltenders. Campbell will be the free agent bust of the decade. Good riddance.

Bust might be a little harsh - he'll still probably put up his 40-50 points - but he's not worth $8.1 or whatever it is he got...

In goal they are in good shape - if they can do something with Bulin they'll be all set, but he's a UFA after this season, so that's nearly $7M that comes of their cap for next year.

You know, last year, I think I was one of the few on this board that did not try to rationalize the losses of Briere and Drury and try to convince myself that we were better off because cleary we all know what happened this past season. However, this signing is definitely one where I can say with certainty, the Sabres are better off without Campbell, especially at the contract he just signed. That is absolutely ludicrous numbers. And for what? He's had all of two hits in his career, and both of which were in the OFFENSIVE zone, which tells you how big of a hitter he is in neutral ice and in the defensive zone. He's decent offensively, but he does not have a big time slap shot from the point that you fear. He's a good skater and can pinch well, but is that really worth $56.8 million? Really? Is it? Good for Soupy, but the Sabres made a good decision trading him and getting something in return. He's not worth that money and Chicago will realize it fast. Too bad their fans won't show up to games to notice, but maybe with Rocky there the fans might actually show up and boo Campbell instead of not showing up at all.

You know, last year, I think I was one of the few on this board that did not try to rationalize the losses of Briere and Drury and try to convince myself that we were better off because cleary we all know what happened this past season. However, this signing is definitely one where I can say with certainty, the Sabres are better off without Campbell, especially at the contract he just signed. That is absolutely ludicrous numbers. And for what? He's had all of two hits in his career, and both of which were in the OFFENSIVE zone, which tells you how big of a hitter he is in neutral ice and in the defensive zone. He's decent offensively, but he does not have a big time slap shot from the point that you fear. He's a good skater and can pinch well, but is that really worth $56.8 million? Really? Is it? Good for Soupy, but the Sabres made a good decision trading him and getting something in return. He's not worth that money and Chicago will realize it fast. Too bad their fans won't show up to games to notice, but maybe with Rocky there the fans might actually show up and boo Campbell instead of not showing up at all.

As much as we rake Darcy over the coals on here, we have to wonder if he actually saw the proverbial "handwriting on the wall" and knew that Soupy's time in Buffalo was coming to an end for reasons such as yours, SabresFan526.

can i just say...

HA HA HA HAAAA HAAAAAA, chicago.

i liked him while he was a sabre, and i'll like him while he's with the hawks, but he certainly isn't worth more than 2.5mil per, imo. weak d, great o for a d-man, and a class act off the ice, but he certainly ain't a 7mil dollar man. not by a long shot.

$4mil for orpik would be the signing of the decade for the sabres...i don't care how long the contract is.

That is excellent, I agree with that 100%. The Blackhawks spent 7.1 million for the 8 years for a good skater who can't play defense, and has never showed up in the playoffs, not for Buffalo and certainly not for San Jose last year. I didn't think he was worth the 5 million we offered him. Hopefully we go after someone is worth that money, like Jay Bowmeester (my fingers are crossed).

...... he is capable of stepping up well beyond his capabilities ......

No disrespect to anyone ... posting is an inexact science ... but i LOVE that phrase ... where is Yogi when you need him?

Archived