Brian Campbell signs with Chicago; 8 years 56.8 mil

Goodfella25

doubtful, from the last couple years and Savard as their leader. Byfuglien or whatever is their edge.

I'll stand by that one......they need those guys to step up to have much hope.

As for Savard, I think this is a make or break year for him. (not sure what you meant there)

Byfuglien, is a curious player. He always seems to look like the lefty that was made to write

right-handed. I think his numbers will drop hard this year.

I am working midnights and heard this when I turned the TV on at work. They had Dale Tallon saying how the team was in need of a "left hand shot." They also showed his goal in the "Ice Bowl."

When the announer (I think it was WGN) kinda chuckled under his breath when he said 56.8 for 8 years... And this from an announcing team (IMO) doesn't take hockey too serious in this town)... Even the lameoid announcers seem to realize the 'Hawks over paid! :ph34r:

Oh well Soupy... Glad you can "feed your family."

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bless you!

That spelling conjures up images of a really ugly extra-terrestrial with sexual identity issues... :chris:

Put down the remote and step away from the SCI-FI channel B-)

I'll stand by that one......they need those guys to step up to have much hope.

As for Savard, I think this is a make or break year for him. (not sure what you meant there)

Byfuglien, is a curious player. He always seems to look like the lefty that was made to write

right-handed. I think his numbers will drop hard this year.

I am not up on that sensativity, Exiled might be able to help us out here. I actually really like Savards offensive style to coaching, basically letting the kids be creative, etc. Bringing Soupy in is great for Run-n-Gunning, but we all know when the playoffs come around they will get punched in the mouth. And their Goaltending sucks. Khabibulin and who now?

So, basically Soupy is their Brian Leetch now & when Kane & Toews contracts mature it will turn into a mini Malkin/Crosby situation. Bottom-line is that they have to topple Detroit one way or the other.

I am not up on that sensativity, Exiled might be able to help us out here. I actually really like Savards offensive style to coaching, basically letting the kids be creative, etc. Bringing Soupy in is great for Run-n-Gunning, but we all know when the playoffs come around they will get punched in the mouth. And their Goaltending sucks. Khabibulin and who now?

So, basically Soupy is their Brian Leetch now & when Kane & Toews contracts mature it will turn into a mini Malkin/Crosby situation. Bottom-line is that they have to topple Detroit one way or the other.

Huet. Just signed yesterday. Khabibulin will most likely be traded.

Thanks for that.

At least he has a player that can spin-0-rama. :D

I really like their mix. The trouble for them is that teams like Minnesota and Detroit like to squeeze the life out of that style.

Thanks for that.

At least he has a player that can spin-0-rama. :D

I really like their mix. The trouble for them is that teams like Minnesota and Detroit like to squeeze the life out of that style.

Exactly. I hate to say it, but I think Soupy would've been alot better fit in Ottawa (for him & Ott) as a team. Besides being entertaining for us; I am not afraid of him. Chicago seems weird place for him, IMO.

as much as i think that chicago over-paid for a guy who hasn't yet shown that he belongs on a playoff team's top pairing (not in all situations, anyway), i will say that i'm glad he signed with a team in the west -- the idea that we would have to see him 4 or even 8 times a year was not a pleasant one (the guy can verily fly when there's a fire burning in his gut and/or under his arse).

Huet. Just signed yesterday. Khabibulin will most likely be traded.

I just wonder what kind of market there is for a 35-year-old keeper with fading skills who has been injured the last couple years and carries a $6.75M cap hit...

little aside: when asked about campbell's deal at his presser today, darcy first said "good for brian," but then went on to remark "more generally" that these kinds of mammoth contracts will most likely result in situations where the players become available on the ufa market "long before their contracts are up".

interesting, probably prescient, and arguably a bit of a dig at campbell.

little aside: when asked about campbell's deal at his presser today, darcy first said "good for brian," but then went on to remark "more generally" that these kinds of mammoth contracts will most likely result in situations where the players become available on the ufa market "long before their contracts are up".

Its seems LQ and DR continue to hope for a drop in oil prices to send the cap crashing and prove themselves prophetic. Since that would greatly enhance our standard of living, let's hope they are right.

I didn't sense that that was a dig at Campbell, as much as the GM's. Even with buyouts...the guaranteed money is staggering.

Take the Rangers for example, between Redden, Gomez, Drury, Lundquist, and Rosival they have (eyeballing it) around $180 million dollars of guaranteed money off the table going forward.

Now you may think those five will win a Stanley Cup (I don't).....but they better hope the cap keeps rising if they want flexibility.

Its seems LQ and DR continue to hope for a drop in oil prices to send the cap crashing and prove themselves prophetic. Since that would greatly enhance our standard of living, let's hope they are right.

post-1254-1215023461_thumbjpg

Here they go

I didn't sense that that was a dig at Campbell, as much as the GM's. Even with buyouts...the guaranteed money is staggering.

fair enough. you're probably right that the other gm's were the principal target of that remark.

still, it struck me that, implicit in what darcy said, is a judgment that the players to whom he's referring won't out-perform, or even perform up to, the contract over its entire term.

What they are really doing since old Wirtzy kicked the bucket, is trying to bring this market back with some exciting hockey... Ya, win... But, next season will be the first where one can wacth the home games on cable... IMO, Soupy brings some exciting hockey...

No?

If they can tap it with some excitement... It can be quite a hockey town...

Archived