Sabres Extend Qualifying Offers

Screamin'Weasel

Surprised this isn't on the main page yet or posted here, but the Sabres tendered QO's to 5 players:

• Steve Bernier
  • Paul Gaustad
  • Clarke MacArthur
  • Mark Mancari
  • Daniel Paille

Again I was surprised this wasn't even discussed today as I believe today was the deadline to make the offers.

Link

Surprised this isn't on the main page yet or posted here, but the Sabres tendered QO's to 5 players:
  • Steve Bernier
  • Paul Gaustad
  • Clarke MacArthur
  • Mark Mancari
  • Daniel Paille

Again I was surprised this wasn't even discussed today as I believe today was the deadline to make the offers.

Link

Its not really news. If they actually signed one of the guys, or even began negotiations, that would be news.

I would expect Bernier, MacArthur and Mancari would accept their offers, Paille will probably sign a two year deal and Gaustad a four year pact. Just my opinion.

• Steve Bernier
  • Paul Gaustad
  • Clarke MacArthur
  • Mark Mancari
  • Daniel Paille

Link

Hey, let me help out a bit:

The freaking' cheap-ass Sabres ONLY extended qualifying offers to Mancari, Paille, and MacArthur. Another signal to the players that the team doesn't want to do what's right. Mancari has proven himself as a future AHL all-star, but the Sabres only give him a qualifying offer. MacArthur has proven himself as a proven three-syllable last-namer, and still, just a qualifying offer. The FO is crap!!!!!>>>>>>>.....!!!!!

As far as Gaustad goes, he should have been given $4.5M/yr over six years or maybe a lifetime, but Darcy and Big Tom are too cheap. Gaustad needs to wear the 'C' immediately, and the FO needs to know that!!!..)!

Daniel Paille, who should be the face of the franchise, got just a crappy qualifying offer? He's going to be the best assistant coach in the future! This organization is to [sic] cheap to pay for the future of this team. Sugar packets. SUGAR PAAAACKETTTS!!!!!

But glad you posted, Weasel!

(Seriously, thanks for the news on the RFA qualifying offers.)

The freaking' cheap-ass Sabres ONLY extended qualifying offers to Mancari, Paille, and MacArthur. Another signal to the players that the team doesn't want to do what's right. Mancari has proven himself as a future AHL all-star, but the Sabres only give him a qualifying offer. MacArthur has proven himself as a proven three-syllable last-namer, and still, just a qualifying offer. The FO is crap!!!!!>>>>>>>.....!!!!!

As far as Gaustad goes, he should have been given $4.5M/yr over six years or maybe a lifetime, but Darcy and Big Tom are too cheap. Gaustad needs to wear the 'C' immediately, and the FO needs to know that!!!..)!

Daniel Paille, who should be the face of the franchise, got just a crappy qualifying offer? He's going to be the best assistant coach in the future! This organization is to [sic] cheap to pay for the future of this team. Sugar packets. SUGAR PAAAACKETTTS!!!!!

:rolleyes: :blink:

Stick around...(and welcome to the board)...you'll see where I was coming from.

Speaking of which, I bet someone on this board that Paille, Gaustad and Bernier would only combine for a $5 million cap hit. Of course, that post was probably lost in the great crash.

Stick around...(and welcome to the board)...you'll see where I was coming from.

Is it bad that I was thinking, "Wow the sabres seem to be on the right track here, I like what they've done and said this offseason."

THen I bet myself fifteen thousand dollars none of these doomsdayist would even remotely acknowledge anything good that comes out of the front office.

That's some great work right there. :thumbsup:

Speaking of which, I bet someone on this board that Paille, Gaustad and Bernier would only combine for a $5 million cap hit. Of course, that post was probably lost in the great crash.

No...it's here. I had to reregister since I disabled the old account.

UFA Bet

We did the combined contract averages of Gaustad, Bernier and Paille at an over/under of $5 million. For every $10,000 under I will give you $1. For every $1 over you will give me $1.

For those keeping score at home, if Bernier takes his 1 year $900,000 offer...Paille gets signed to a 2 year $2.6 million offer, and Gaustad gets a 3 year $4.5 million deal...the total of the averages would be $3.7 million, and I would owe Webster $130.

If Gaustad signs a 4 year $10.4 million contract, Bernier gets a 3 year $3.9 million deal, and Paille gets a 3 year $6 million deal....the total would be $5.9 million and Webster would pay me $90.

The wildcard is Paille to me. Bernier is 900K for sure and I think he goes $1.3, and I really..REALLY feel Gaustad is prized around the league and will get at least a $2.6 million offer that would put the new team on the hook for a 2nd round pick. I don't think a team would give up a 1st + 3rd unless the team is a top team in the league. Someone may have the stones to offer Paille $2.6 per as well.

We shall see.

Is it bad that I was thinking, "Wow the sabres seem to be on the right track here, I like what they've done and said this offseason."

THen I bet myself fifteen thousand dollars none of these doomsdayist would even remotely acknowledge anything good that comes out of the front office.

The only thing the Sabres have done is to sign draft picks. The contracts of Gerbe, Kennedy, Enroth, Schulz, Butler and Persson TOTAL $4.8 million each of the next two years if they earn ALL bonus dollars. That isn't really putting yourself on the line. Kalinin and Teppo made that much combined in a year. Trade Max for a 5th rounder and let T-Bo walk and you get your money back.

What else have they done? Darcy played a game Rock Paper Scissors so we could move up one spot in the draft to take a guy that won't be here for 3-5 years if at all.

The Sabres are a target of organizational weakness, so don't be shocked when the offer sheets come into town. There is way too much that needs to be done to this team for me to get excited.

Just wanted Webster to know the bet was still good. Glad to see optimism still is championed here. Any year now!

Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't qualifying offers made to ensure that the Sabres have the rights to negotiate with their RFA's, and receive compensation if another team signs away one of them?

Just because guys like Paille were given qualifying offers doesn't mean they won't be paid what they're worth.

You are correct.

The only thing the Sabres have done is to sign draft picks. The contracts of Gerbe, Kennedy, Enroth, Schulz, Butler and Persson TOTAL $4.8 million each of the next two years if they earn ALL bonus dollars. That isn't really putting yourself on the line. Kalinin and Teppo made that much combined in a year. Trade Max for a 5th rounder and let T-Bo walk and you get your money back.

What else have they done? Darcy played a game Rock Paper Scissors so we could move up one spot in the draft to take a guy that won't be here for 3-5 years if at all.

The Sabres are a target of organizational weakness, so don't be shocked when the offer sheets come into town. There is way too much that needs to be done to this team for me to get excited.

Just wanted Webster to know the bet was still good. Glad to see optimism still is championed here. Any year now!

I swear, nothing short of cloning a young Gretzky, giving him 15 mil a year and embroiodering your name on a team jacket will please you people.

We signed 2/3 top college prospects, we had an OUTSTANDING draft. And I'll take the bet that Myers will be here.

I swear, nothing short of cloning a young Gretzky, giving him 15 mil a year and embroiodering your name on a team jacket will please you people.

We signed 2/3 top college prospects, we had an OUTSTANDING draft. And I'll take the bet that Myers will be here.

Two things;

1) There is no way anyone can know what kind of draft it was. It will be a shock if any of the guys play for them before the 2010/ 2011 season.

2) Are you saying that Myers will make the team this year?

yeah, it's way too early to say the draft was great or horrible ... we have no idea. And I agree the college signings will have little or no impact this year. ... But the "What have they done? NOTHING!" posts are still about a month premature ... the only thing they COULD have done so far was make a trade, and there is still plenty of time for that, especially because right now everyone is thinking they can add in free agency ... some teams will come up empty and be more willing to deal. By this time next month, free agency will be all but over and they will have had time to make a deal or two ... then we can all scream at the top of our lungs.

yeah, it's way too early to say the draft was great or horrible ... we have no idea. And I agree the college signings will have little or no impact this year. ... But the "What have they done? NOTHING!" posts are still about a month premature ... the only thing they COULD have done so far was make a trade, and there is still plenty of time for that, especially because right now everyone is thinking they can add in free agency ... some teams will come up empty and be more willing to deal. By this time next month, free agency will be all but over and they will have had time to make a deal or two ... then we can all scream at the top of our lungs.

They apparently( see LeCavalier) could have agreed to terms with Pominville, Miller and signed Gaustad, Paille, Bernier and MacArthur.

I agree, however, it is far too early to condemn them yet. I think you would agree, however, they haven't done anything out of their modus operandi

Amen. People need to settle down.

They apparently( see LeCavalier) could have agreed to terms with Pominville, Miller

Apparently true.

and signed Gaustad, Paille, Bernier and MacArthur.

Also true, but this is not just the Sabres moving slowly, it's par for the course for the whole league, even for most of the the best RFAs. Anaheim just qualified their guys yesterday, including Perry, who is a far hotter commodity than any of the Sabres guys ... no one is ripping Burke. Florida just qualified Bouwmeester ... it's not outrageous.

I agree, however, it is far too early to condemn them yet. I think you would agree, however, they haven't done anything out of their modus operandi

Indeed, I would agree, but then we don't really know ... if there is significant change next month, it will mean there was quite a bit going on behind the scenes ... nothing happens overninght. You can't tell me these guys who sign at 12:02 on July 1 were not in contact with other teams ... if they sign ANY sort of significant free agent and/or make any kind of trade, at least it will look like they had a plan going in and actually took steps to execute it ... which most would consider a change in modus operandi. July 1 can't come soon enough ...

Apparently true.

Also true, but this is not just the Sabres moving slowly, it's par for the course for the whole league, even for most of the the best RFAs. Anaheim just qualified their guys yesterday, including Perry, who is a far hotter commodity than any of the Sabres guys ... no one is ripping Burke. Florida just qualified Bouwmeester ... it's not outrageous.

Indeed, I would agree, but then we don't really know ... if there is significant change next month, it will mean there was quite a bit going on behind the scenes ... nothing happens overninght. You can't tell me these guys who sign at 12:02 on July 1 were not in contact with other teams ... if they sign ANY sort of significant free agent and/or make any kind of trade, at least it will look like they had a plan going in and actually took steps to execute it ... which most would consider a change in modus operandi. July 1 can't come soon enough ...

All true. All I want is to see that they have a plan and, perhaps more importantly, the ability to carry it out. My biggest beef all along has that they continually been caught off guard by the market trends. It started with 48's arbitration award and has continued through last season.

For the record once again, I do expect them to make a significant splash and will be very vocal if they don't.

I will be more critical of the FO this year than I was last year -- not because they can make any bigger mistakes, but because they should have learned from last year's -- but I will wait until mid to late July before I start any real complaining. I expect things to heat up after the first (duh), but knowing they won't target the top tier FAs, their moves won't necessarily be done day one.

Somehow, I didn't make it far enough to read this... My noise canceler kicked in.

Two things;

1) There is no way anyone can know what kind of draft it was. It will be a shock if any of the guys play for them before the 2010/ 2011 season.

2) Are you saying that Myers will make the team this year?

I'm saying he will be in the lineup within 3 years.

Archived