Sabres Extend Qualifying Offers

Screamin'Weasel

I will be more critical of the FO this year than I was last year -- not because they can make any bigger mistakes, but because they should have learned from last year's -- but I will wait until mid to late July before I start any real complaining. I expect things to heat up after the first (duh), but knowing they won't target the top tier FAs, their moves won't necessarily be done day one.

I kinda expect something day one. Whether it's Miller or Pommers signing or a trade that frees up space for them to go after someone.

They have said repeatedly they want to add on the D. The top D men won't be there long.

Also true, but this is not just the Sabres moving slowly, it's par for the course for the whole league, even for most of the the best RFAs. Anaheim just qualified their guys yesterday, including Perry, who is a far hotter commodity than any of the Sabres guys ... no one is ripping Burke. Florida just qualified Bouwmeester ... it's not outrageous.

A recent Stanley Cup championship deflects a lot of criticism....if the Sabres win the Cup this year I won't say a negative thing about the FO for probably three-five years. (Probably longer, since I'll be dead from the heart attack...)

and I really..REALLY feel Gaustad is prized around the league and will get at least a $2.6 million offer that would put the new team on the hook for a 2nd round pick.

A gritty role player who puts up 30-35 points per season? Yes, that player does have a lot of value to a team, but they're not all that hard to find. Teams aren't going to pay that much for something they really don't have to search very far for. I understand the love Gaustad gets around here as he's one of those players that almost all fans love to watch, but he is very overvalued among many Sabre fans. Any team that puts the money you're suggesting into a player like Guastad is going to run into big money trouble.

A recent Stanley Cup championship deflects a lot of criticism....if the Sabres win the Cup this year I won't say a negative thing about the FO for probably three-five years. (Probably longer, since I'll be dead from the heart attack...)

The fact that Anaheim is a year removed from a Cup doesn't change the fact they have not yet locked up one of their best young players ... not even saying they deserve to be ripped, just saying it DOES happen all over the league.

A gritty role player who puts up 30-35 points per season? Yes, that player does have a lot of value to a team, but they're not all that hard to find. Teams aren't going to pay that much for something they really don't have to search very far for. I understand the love Gaustad gets around here as he's one of those players that almost all fans love to watch, but he is very overvalued among many Sabre fans. Any team that puts the money you're suggesting into a player like Guastad is going to run into big money trouble.

I would tend to agree, I was actually kind of disappointed with Gaustad last year ... personally I would rather see him cracking skulls between Mair and Kaleta than centering the 3rd line ... you can always spot him with other lines and use him for big draws if he keeps improving in that area ... that 4th line, IMO, is one that we can roll out there and have a nice edge over other 4th lines while annoying the crap out of anyone else they are matched up with.

Gaustad on the Sabres is like Jessica Simpson sleeping in the same bed as a gay guy.....both would be getting a whole lot more action and be more valuable somewhere else.

The wildcard is Paille to me. Bernier is 900K for sure and I think he goes $1.3, and I really..REALLY feel Gaustad is prized around the league and will get at least a $2.6 million offer that would put the new team on the hook for a 2nd round pick. I don't think a team would give up a 1st + 3rd unless the team is a top team in the league. Someone may have the stones to offer Paille $2.6 per as well.

We shall see.

I think Gaustad files for arbitration and gets a long term deal at a fair rate before there is a hearing.

I think Gaustad files for arbitration and gets a long term deal at a fair rate before there is a hearing.

I think he's the only one that qualifies for arbitration. I don't Bernier and Pie-Yay have enough games/years/age yet.

Someone help me out here? I figured it out but I'm still not sure and haven't found anything on it.

Stick around...(and welcome to the board)...you'll see where I was coming from.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm not new to Sabres message boards (a regular over at the LGS Pavilion since last summer), just new to this board. I'm not seeing the Goose as being worth 4.5 a year though.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm not new to Sabres message boards (a regular over at the LGS Pavilion since last summer), just new to this board. I'm not seeing the Goose as being worth 4.5 a year though.

Chris Kelly gets 4 x 2.12 from Ottawa. I think those will be ballpark numbers for Goose.

Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't qualifying offers made to ensure that the Sabres have the rights to negotiate with their RFA's, and receive compensation if another team signs away one of them?

Just because guys like Paille were given qualifying offers doesn't mean they won't be paid what they're worth.

how dare you interpose logic and perspective into the shrill hand-wringing of our resident chicken littles.

Guest Sloth
I'm thinking even lower than that, but that's still substantially lower than 4 and a half a year.

If the Goose signs a 4.5 a year deal I'm going puke. A picture of the Sabres front office should be placed next to the list of what not to do in the front office. They could've had Briere 5 for 5 and now there's a small chance Gaustad could roughly have the same deal. I'm getting to the point to where it is humorous to watch the front office continue to f things up. How many mistakes does one have to make before they actually learn from them? :wallbash:

I swear, nothing short of cloning a young Gretzky, giving him 15 mil a year and embroiodering your name on a team jacket will please you people.

We signed 2/3 top college prospects, we had an OUTSTANDING draft. And I'll take the bet that Myers will be here.

Feel free to be specific...I don't think it's fair to lump everyone in with Dwight. I certainly don't agree with him. :thumbsup:

If the Goose signs a 4.5 a year deal I'm going puke. A picture of the Sabres front office should be placed next to the list of what not to do in the front office. They could've had Briere 5 for 5 and now there's a small chance Gaustad could roughly have the same deal. I'm getting to the point to where it is humorous to watch the front office continue to f things up. How many mistakes does one have to make before they actually learn from them? :wallbash:

OMG

This is me right now.

10+1= Joking :chris: arg

how dare you interpose logic and perspective into the shrill hand-wringing of our resident chicken littles.

i'm so confused - i didn't pick up on the fact that eleven had put up the post that tripped much of this - so, are there in fact any chicken littles on this thread talking about the idea that gaustad could get ~$4MM annually?

apparently not.

... or maybe so.

Surprised this isn't on the main page yet or posted here, but the Sabres tendered QO's to 5 players:
  • Steve Bernier
  • Paul Gaustad
  • Clarke MacArthur
  • Mark Mancari
  • Daniel Paille

Again I was surprised this wasn't even discussed today as I believe today was the deadline to make the offers.

Link

What? No TBO? :censored: :censored:

:lol:

I'm new here so please forgive me for saying.... WHAT THE HELL!!!

If everybody was joking, then nevermind me and I'll crawl back under my rock.

I don't understand the all the griping about the Sabres qualifying offers. The Sabres only had five RFA's and extended all of them. At the end of the day, it's really only an exercise in futility because either they'll accept it or most likely they'll reject it by the July 15th deadline and we're right back to were we started from.

It doesn't mean that team/players can't negotiate a longer term contract -- only if the player accepts the QO.

IMO, the main purpose of a qualifying offer is to protect their players from being poached by other NHL teams, especially if they head to Europe.

I don't understand the all the griping about the Sabres qualifying offers. The Sabres only had five RFA's and extended all of them. At the end of the day, it's really only an exercise in futility because either they'll accept it or most likely they'll reject it by the July 15th deadline and we're right back to were we started from.

It doesn't mean that team/players can't negotiate a longer term contract -- only if the player accepts the QO.

IMO, the main purpose of a qualifying offer is to protect their players from being poached by other NHL teams, especially if they head to Europe.

Somebody made a joke about Gaustad getting 4.5 million

Somebody didn't get the joke

Somebody remembered actually making a wager on the upcoming salaries of the restricted free agents

Somebody said they loved what the Sabres have done this offseason

I pointed out the Sabres really haven't DONE anything other than normal operations of signing picks, drafting kids, making qualifying offers

Somebody else agreed

That was translated into a chicken little comment because I have been saying for the past 2 years that the Sabres are a bunch of pansies from owner all the way down to their 3rd string goalie.

In reality NOT ONE PERSON SAID ANYTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT THE TEAM IN THIS THREAD, but a bunch of people with low self confidence started with the "I love Sabres" defense mechanism.

I only chimed in this thread to let Tom Webster know the bet was still on the website. I hadn't made a comment in almost 3 months, but couldn't help myself to tell a rah-rah-roo that signing 6 draft picks for 65% of what it will cost to sign Ryan Miller for one season is not really making a statement.

Oh well....enjoy when Larry Quinn blames oil prices for not signing anyone of value in free agency.

That's right. The QO just signals that the club is retaining its player rights.

It's the NHL's version of livestock branding. Except the livestock has a union, and a collective bargaining agreement, and they skate.

Its an annual thing around here, the Sabres make their QOs and people whine about them being cheap. It looks like most have finally caught on to the system though, thank god. Either that or Eleven's great post threw off all the whiners and they had no idea what to say.

Guest Sloth
:lol: :lol: :lol:

But really, thanes, just let it go. They did not sign Gaustad to a 4.5M/yr contract, nor will they. You're making a huge deal out of something that didn't even happen. Goose will probably get in the 1-2M range, probably a little closer to 2.

I'll take your advice on letting it go. I didn't read too many posts on this thread and the only one that caught my eye was the 4.5m/year contract. I had a brain freeze or something and I actually bought into it. Doh!

Archived