Maple Leafs make another move

stenbaro

Wow, Trader Cliff isn't playing games, is he? Gotta hand it to him, though - he's making the tough decisions necessary to re-shape that roster. They might not be better next year, but they'll be different...

They are going to be very young and very cheap. With all of these buyouts, they are going to have a lot of dead money against the salary cap. With Sundin not coming back, that does open up about a $6.5 million void, but again, with all of these buyouts, their payroll for next year is actually a lot lower than everyone else's even if they spend to the limit of the cap.

They are going to be very young and very cheap. With all of these buyouts, they are going to have a lot of dead money against the salary cap. With Sundin not coming back, that does open up about a $6.5 million void, but again, with all of these buyouts, their payroll for next year is actually a lot lower than everyone else's even if they spend to the limit of the cap.

True. It's a necessary step, though. They get to see what some of the younger, cheaper guys can do and take the necessary steps toward getting better down the road by shedding some dead cap weight.

As a fan, given the dreadful rebuilding choice of either watching a team full of overpriced has-beens and overrated "legends in their own minds" or watching a team of youngsters develop, hustle and work - give me the young team every day of the week.

again, with all of these buyouts, their payroll for next year is actually a lot lower than everyone else's even if they spend to the limit of the cap.

anyone know how buy-outs count against the cap? are they amortized? applied as a lump-sum that year? something different?

I think they are tanking it for a shot at Tavares <_< call it "a rebuilding year"

I wouldn't be surprised

They are also just doing what they can to get through this year to keep a seat warm and be in a great situation for their Saviour Brian Burke to step in and turn them into a powerhouse jauggernaut of the league

I can't see the Leafs just sitting back and staying very young and unexperienced. They're definitely going to be a player in FA, and I won't be surprised if they are one of the front-runners for Hossa.

thats true too, I don't think they have much in the minors to just bring up and build off of at this point, I think they will be big players in FA and try to rebuild that way right now, then let Burke decide what he wants to do next year, when of course, they are able to steal him away cause everyone wants to play/work for the Leafs

Here is my understanding:

Contracts can be bought out for two-thirds of the remaining value for players over the age of 26, and one-third of the remaining value for players under 26. Players who are bought out cannot return to the old team for at least one year. The cap hit is spread out out over 2 times the remaining years left on the contract.

"Tucker has 3 years remaining on his contract and Toronto will be on the hook for two-thirds, or 6 million dollars paid over a six year term. Tucker signed a four-year contract extension with the club back in February of 2007."

"Emery signed a three-year, $9.5 million contract in July of 2007 and has two years and $6.75 million remaining on his contract. Under CBA rules, the Senators are on the hook for one-third of Emery's remaining salary, $2.25 million. That amount will be spread across twice the length of the remaining years of the contract, resulting in a cap hit of slightly less than $600,000 for the next four years."

It must be nice having those bottomless pockets where they can buy out that many players. And yes, I'm expecting someone (won't name names) to respond with "but Golisano's a billionaire", so I'll point out the difference in revenue streams between the two teams.

It must be nice having those bottomless pockets where they can buy out that many players. And yes, I'm expecting someone (won't name names) to respond with "but Golisano's a billionaire", so I'll point out the difference in revenue streams between the two teams.

Well, when you see the breakdown of how much they are getting in the buyouts, its not that bad, and the cap hit really isn't going to hurt them that much

Buffalo's problem with it would be paying out money to players who won't be playing for them, they could easily absorb the cap hits

Toronto has told Tucker he will be bought out..This Franchise is making some moves to move on. They are really changing the face of their team..It wil be different having no player to really hate. Or atleast until we develop another hatred for a player..

http://tsn.ca/

Sean Avery or Chris Neil aren't on your list, are they?

We can still hate Tucker, unless he shows up in the blue & gold sluggalo. :unsure:

Sean Avery or Chris Neil aren't on your list, are they?

We can still hate Tucker, unless he shows up in the blue & gold sluggalo. :unsure:

Actually I was talking about players on the leafs..I guess I shoulda been more cooncise..

Well, when you see the breakdown of how much they are getting in the buyouts, its not that bad, and the cap hit really isn't going to hurt them that much

Buffalo's problem with it would be paying out money to players who won't be playing for them, they could easily absorb the cap hits

That's exactly what I was hoping people would think when I said bottomless pockets. That refers to pure money, nothing else.

While Golisano is a billionaire and I am one of his harshest critics, it would lend a lot of credibility to this board if people understood that a team like Toronto probably brings in more then $50 million more per year then a team like Buffalo.

For the umpteenth time, Buffalo's problem, if you even think they have a problem, is being short sighted and poor predictors of the market, they are not cheap!

While Golisano is a billionaire and I am one of his harshest critics, it would lend a lot of credibility to this board if people understood that a team like Toronto probably brings in more then $50 million more per year then a team like Buffalo.

For the umpteenth time, Buffalo's problem, if you even think they have a problem, is being short sighted and poor predictors of the market, they are not cheap!

Toronto and New York, they both have that near endless source of revenue. Like you said, I don't think many people realize just how much they bring in. That's what allows them to do things like this without batting an eye.

And just to be clear, I wasn't implying that the team is cheap. I think most of us realize that they want the team to be a self-sustaining operation. Buying out players goes completely against that. The main purpose of that move is to free up immediate cap space. Since we don't need to do that, we won't.

Archived