Quinny Speaks

frisky

I read on the GR website that Quinny has given Dracy some room to work it sounds like this offseason. But, probably, not to expect too much via UFA's. We might see some people getting moved this year though especially if the young kids are ready to step in. I didn't see the link to the interview up in the Audio Vault yet. If anyone has it that would be great.

Oh, and cap number around 50 mil. up a little from last year. Probably will be around the lower end of average if I remember right with last years numbers.

I can understand them thinking trade first before free agent because they have too many forwards and if they want another from elsewhere, even a free agent, they have to move someone to make room ... but really they COULD sign a UFA defenseman and stay well under that self-imposed cap. Like Tom said, even if the forwards remained the same they have room for that and even with big increases for Miller and Pominville kicking in next year the money would be there with Kotalik, Max and Connolly expiring ... also Spacek expires ... so really, given that they have the young bodies to replace the expensive ones after next season, extensions for Miller and Pominville should not handcuff them from signing a free agent.

as foor orpik and kalinin, both are free agents, no one will be trading for either of them.

So let's focus on the Caps for a minute if we think we might want to ship Max there. What kind of package could we talk them in to?

Max, Stafford and Kalinen for Shultz and Laich?

edit: durr Kalinen doesn't matter. Uhh...lemme rethink this.

...and he is talking about how the Sabres are providing veterans for Portland. He says because Rochester paid half of what Portland pays to the Sabres for a "standard AHL fee" (whatever that is), the Sabres will provide the AHL vets to Portland. :(

He is also describing how the Buffalo/Florida relationship started. The Sabres started buying players from the Panthers for Rochester because they couldn't field a full AHL roster as AHL vets had all left for Europe. Then the Amerks decided to have a dual affiliation as they did not want to supply AHL vets and this was a cost cutting move.

Tom tried to resolve the situation with various solutions, including purchasing the Amerks but was never given the chance.

I know Larry is the master of spin control but I can't help to think the majority of what he has to say is true.

...and he is talking about how the Sabres are providing veterans for Portland. He says because Rochester paid half of what Portland pays to the Sabres for a "standard AHL fee" (whatever that is), the Sabres will provide the AHL vets to Portland. :(

He is also describing how the Buffalo/Florida relationship started. The Sabres started buying players from the Panthers for Rochester because they couldn't field a full AHL roster as AHL vets had all left for Europe. Then the Amerks decided to have a dual affiliation as they did not want to supply AHL vets and this was a cost cutting move.

Tom tried to resolve the situation with various solutions, including purchasing the Amerks but was never given the chance.

I know Larry is the master of spin control but I can't help to think the majority of what he has to say is true.

From what I've seen from Donner and the way that he runs his businesses, I don't see why it wouldn't be true.

I'll believe it when I see it. Didn't they say last offseason that they were going to make some moves to fix some of the weaknesses the team had? Plus, he never said the trades were to bring in players to play for the Sabres, they may be looking for picks and AHL players to stock Portland and fill in for the younger guys they are going to be bringing up

Don't worry, Donner will be by soon to clear this all up...<_<

The Sabres provide players, coaches, a training staff... all that good stuff. The :chris: then in turn take all of that and make money off of it. Some of that has to go back to the Sabres. That's where the idea of the fee comes in.

Call me confused, and allow for my pessimistic view whenever Quinny the spinmaster opens his mouth, but when Rochester was paying the Sabres half the amount Portland is paying them, wasn't the other half of the "AHL fee" going to Florida? :doh: :doh:

Listening to the interview, Quinny says the cap escalation is because of the oil prices and weak dollar. Just can't get find a distraction from the soaring gas prices anywhere for cryin out loud. Now that I can't afford to buy too much meat, at least I hope I'm going to lose weight.

Call me confused, and allow for my pessimistic view whenever Quinny the spinmaster opens his mouth, but when Rochester was paying the Sabres half the amount Portland is paying them, wasn't the other half of the "AHL fee" going to Florida? :doh: :doh:

Assuming that was part of the deal. Florida wasn't suppose to be in Rochester full time but Donner agreed to have them there to make more money off of them since the sabres were. I believe this happened when the sabres were close to going under (not positive but likely). They were suppose to have a temporary lease of some sort but the dual-affiliation was never ended. I'm sure the other half did go to Florida though.

Listening to the interview, Quinny says the cap escalation is because of the oil prices and weak dollar. Just can't get find a distraction from the soaring gas prices anywhere for cryin out loud. Now that I can't afford to buy too much meat, at least I hope I'm going to lose weight.

hmmmmm, we might be on to something here

The government says that their is an obesity "epidemic" and that people are fatter these days

Gas prices keep soaring so high that prices are being driven up for everything, including food. People can't afford food anymore, or gas for their car so they are forced to eat less and walk more.

Those evil geniuses!

Those evil geniuses!

Zero chance our society has that much foresight. More likely people will do less and eat less healthy anyway. My neighborhood looks post apocalyptic and it's summertime. Where are the #%^$#!ing people? Dag Nabbit, why can't it just be like it used to. :chris:

I'll bash Quinn as much as some on this board when he speaks some of his bull$hit. But Donner's an a$$.

Buffalo's fee was about 200k with the Amerks, about the same paid by the other club, so 400k. MOst teams pay somewhere between 700-900k for players. Quinn wanted 2 years ago to have sole affilation, he's sent letters, talked with Walter and eventually gave up.

Why stock your players on the cheap and pay for coaches that train other teams players. If the Amerks wanted more vets they could have paid for it themselves with the 3-400k discount they had to play with. Plus forgiving a 500k loan to them! As much as I love the Amerks, you can't as a business owner keep throwing money into the fire hoping it turns to water.

This article from WGR550.com makes me angry/worried because Quinn comes off as if it would be fine going into the season with the roster as it is and then possibly making moves if younger guys develop in Portland "by Thanksgiving". This team better make some damn moves in offseason....or else....let's put it that way. Or else.

This article from WGR550.com makes me angry/worried because Quinn comes off as if it would be fine going into the season with the roster as it is and then possibly making moves if younger guys develop in Portland "by Thanksgiving". This team better make some damn moves in offseason....or else....let's put it that way. Or else.

Or else we have to watch another head scratching season of Buffalo hockey. Moves will be made. Whether it helps our CURRENT team or not remains to be seen.

I really hate it when Quinny makes hockey comments like this. Stick to your ass kissing of Golisano and leave the hockey operation to Ruff & Regier. This crap just strengthens my belief that Quinny is meddling much more than many care to believe.

I really liked this comment:

?What I?m hearing mostly is really focusing on system,? Quinn said. ?The last game of the year, Lindy before the game said, I?m going to play exactly the way the Boston Bruins play, and you?re going to be bored out of your mind? and we beat them 3-0. Once (Lindy?s) got the system (the team will look into personnel).??

First off, I'd kill to see us post a bunch of 3-0 wins where the goalie has to face 17 shots. Secondly - does the tail end of that comment mean that Lindy is finally going to change/tweak the system?

I really hate it when Quinny makes hockey comments like this. Stick to your ass kissing of Golisano and leave the hockey operation to Ruff & Regier. This crap just strengthens my belief that Quinny is meddling much more than many care to believe.

Amen.

When it comes to the on-ice product, the only thing Quinny should be talking about is the team's cap and payroll situation. Let Darcy and Lindy answer the hockey questions, Quinny should only answer stuff about arena upgrades, business deals and the frigging waterfront development. Other than that, shut your yap and defer to the guys you have hired to run that area of your team.

First off, I'd kill to see us post a bunch of 3-0 wins where the goalie has to face 17 shots. Secondly - does the tail end of that comment mean that Lindy is finally going to change/tweak the system?

I do think that management finally has come to the realization that what the NHL was in 05-06 is nearly a complete 180 from what it is now. You have to adjust with the overall flow of the game and obviously we didn't have the right players in here to make the adjustment. We were still built as a finesse, run-and-gun team which doesn't fit in with the overall tight-checking game we've seen post 05-06. But with the loss of Dumont, "those of whom we do not speak", Campbell, and likely Afinogenov, we're seeing a shift (whether the Sabres could control it or not) I think we're seeing a changeover in players that points to a different direction for the team. I think Lindy will go back to a system similar to pre-lockout. Less risks, more defense. It might be ugly, but it also might be successful.

Archived