F*** Tiger Woods

carpandean

If we're going to talk about definitions, we also have to define what exactly an athlete is. No matter what we settle on, its probably safe to say that the most "athletic" people out there won't really be big time in the popularity/money scale. Their moment to shine happens only once every four years.

I know that the dictionary doesn't make quite this distinction, but to me, a sport requires that players actively face each other (in a simultaneous way, not turn-by-turn), impacting each other's performance directly. Conversely, a game may involve some athletic ability and certainly some skill, but does not have that direct interaction. Hockey, soccer, football, basketball, tennis, etc. are all definitely sports. Baseball, while being slightly more lazy, is a sport. Golf, bowling, darts, etc. are skill games that may or may not require athletic ability. While in the end their scores are compared, another player cannot directly affect an other's performance.

Again, this is just in my mind and not necessarily a true-to-the-dictionary-definition differentiation.

Tiger may be in great shape and being strong (the right type of strong, not necessarily body-building bulk strong) is advantageous for a golfer, one can be a great golfer without being a great athlete. One can't even be a mediocre hockey player without being a great athelete. Their are plenty of guys in my pick-up league that are in pretty good shape, who are still sucking wind after going up and down the ice a couple of times.

thats pretty much my definition of a sport or a game. Sports are something that require teams, or individuals to compete against each other, and the people involved are "athletes". Games are things that can be played against others, but don't necessarily have to be (you can play a round of golf on your own, but you couldn't play Football, or Hockey, or Baseball by yourself).

I never said that Tiger woods isn't in great physical shape, but I wouldn't call him an athlete just because he is in great shape and plays golf. My comparison with Daly was just to show that you don't have to be in great physical shape to be one of the better competitors.

As for Baseball, sure there are exceptions, especially back in the old days. When you look at baseball, the guys that are viewed as being "out of shape" are typically also there because they are power hitters, and typically play first or DH which doesn't require much physical activity as the other positions. How many outfielders, or middle infielders would you say you could call out of shape?

As for Baseball, sure there are exceptions, especially back in the old days. When you look at baseball, the guys that are viewed as being "out of shape" are typically also there because they are power hitters, and typically play first or DH which doesn't require much physical activity as the other positions. How many outfielders, or middle infielders would you say you could call out of shape?

touche' -- even though i don't follow it at all really, baseball is such a delightfully weird sport, for the reasons above among many, many others.

Bingo. I'm a huge golfer and I've loved watching what Tiger has done for the game, but this comment disturbs me.

Aud hits the nail on the head about Tiger being all over anything that's cool...and I'll add that you rarely see him playing at an event these days unless it's a major or a big money tournament (TPC, Memorial, etc.). I know he just had knee surgery, but in recent years, he usually seems to take time off so he can "prepare for the [uS Open, British Open, PGA Champ]". It's his life & his decision, but being the biggest face and ambassador for the sport, he really needs to be more visible.

This would be along the lines of a huge golf fan just getting sick over and over hearing "There's no one better than tiger woods" like how VS or NBC only talk about Crosby or Ovechkin (regardless if they are playing or not). Ever sport has their face, and most of them don't care about other people or other sports. Plan and simple.

Tigers a douche for saying no one watches hockey but I don't care if he hates it or not. That's his own perspective. He's on the east coast for maybe 4 weeks out of the year to play a big event and then goes back west. He wouldn't know what hockey was about if a puck hit him right between the eyes.

Honestly, who cares if Tiger Woods, The Pope or Jesus Christ himself watches hockey? I mean, of course we know God watches hockey in a big way so it's likely he would've brought Jesus to a few games at least, but that's besides the point ;)

I watch hockey, that's all I need to know.

. Two words: Babe Ruth.

not, imho.

Gotta disagree with that one. Ruth during his prime played at 220 lbs @ 6'2" around 1920.

When you see film of him from the 30's he was a fat and not as productive at 255 lbs, but still extremely powerful. The guy was an athlete, although not looking much like one.

Ruth 1920

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/58/Ruth1920.jpg

Honestly, who cares if Tiger Woods, The Pope or Jesus Christ himself watches hockey? I mean, of course we know God watches hockey in a big way so it's likely he would've brought Jesus to a few games at least, but that's besides the point ;)

I watch hockey, that's all I need to know.

I highly doubt God watches hockey, if he did he wouldve felt pity for us years ago and we wouldve had a Cup or 2... :w00t:

at least hockey is a legitimate sport you effing douche-bag. there's no defense in golf!

As a division 1 collegiate golfer I take offense to that. Ive played hockey, football, baseball, lacrosse, basketball, and baseball but golf was the sport I was best at. Just because you probably can't even make contact with the golf ball doesn't mean its not a sport. Because Tiger said what he did doesn't mean golf is not a legitimate sport.

LOL @ Tiger Woods. What a tool. He just dissed soccer not too long ago. He has some quote like "I don't want my kids playing soccer, it's not active enough, i want them to play more real sports".

Seriously, i know Tiger is rich, but being rich in golf you're a minority. Many of their players travel all over the WORLD to places like africa and asia to play and make a penny.

His opinion is whatever, but, for a man who plays GOLF to diss a sport like HOCKEY, is beyond weird. I know why he made that comment though, but i won't say it, it's obvious, i don't want to get banned from this forum for saying anything stupid.

As a division 1 collegiate golfer I take offense to that. Ive played hockey, football, baseball, lacrosse, basketball, and baseball but golf was the sport I was best at. Just because you probably can't even make contact with the golf ball doesn't mean its not a sport. Because Tiger said what he did doesn't mean golf is not a legitimate sport.

I don't know whether or not it was, but the post you replied to came across to me as a joke.

Guest Sloth

What does it matter what we can or cannot do? Some in here couldn't hit a dartboard. Does that make darts a sport? I think not. If you want to argue w/ me about division 1 sports we can go at it. I ran track for Mississippi State and I knew a number of our golfers. A number of them were from not from the U.S. They, themselves, said golf isn't really a sport. A few of the guys were ranked in the top 30 in NCAA Division 1 Golf. Golf is simply a bigger game of darts.

What does it matter what we can or cannot do? Some in here couldn't hit a dartboard. Does that make darts a sport? I think not. If you want to argue w/ me about division 1 sports we can go at it. I ran track for Mississippi State and I knew a number of our golfers. A number of them were from not from the U.S. They, themselves, said golf isn't really a sport. A few of the guys were ranked in the top 30 in NCAA Division 1 Golf. Golf is simply a bigger game of darts.

Is this where somebody tells you that running isn't a sport? ;)

Here's a thought:

NIKE paid him to say that because they know Reebok have monopolized the NHL jersey market.

Possible, but doubtful, since Nike still has hockey products on the market.

Gotta disagree with that one. Ruth during his prime played at 220 lbs @ 6'2" around 1920.

When you see film of him from the 30's he was a fat and not as productive at 255 lbs, but still extremely powerful. The guy was an athlete, although not looking much like one.

Ruth 1920

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/58/Ruth1920.jpg

woah - talk about jacked. i was admittedly a little lazy in throwing the babe ruth in the winter of his career thing out there. still, there is this to consider.

post-760-1212524575_thumbjpg

and let us not forget what one of the game's purest hitters looked like while still hitting well above .300.

post-760-1212524672_thumbjpg

and while no one's going to quibble about boomer both being a fatboy

post-760-1212524939_thumbjpg

and effective pitcher at the same time, i must also recognize that he's also a guy (an athlete) who, at least for much of his career, could dunk a basketball and chuck a football 70 yards.

still, what i'm getting at is that you will see good, even great, baseball players sporting a significant paunch. you won't see the same from hockey, soccer, lax players (i omitted basketball, as they had barkley and a few others). no value judgments there - just an observation.

besides, as craig kilborne used to say when giving a strikeout highlight: the hardest thing to do in all sports: hit a baseball. so there's that.

Is this where somebody tells you that running isn't a sport? ;)

I never understood the whole cross-country/track thing. In real sports running is a punishment - "go take a lap!"

;)

Guest Sloth
I never understood the whole cross-country/track thing. In real sports running is a punishment - "go take a lap!"

;)

Running still involves person against person at the same time w/ physical activity. Plus, the training for the sport is a real bittch. You try running 80 miles a week.

Running still involves person against person at the same time w/ physical activity. Plus, the training for the sport is a real bittch. You try running 80 miles a week.

You really need to check your sarcasm detector. But anyway, if you want to go with that competing against another person agle, a runner is up against another person as much as a golfer is. Ok, I guess there can be scenarios where you're running from someone (like any female when inkman is around).

Guest Sloth

Umm...obviously your probably an overweight typical american guy. There are a number of strategies involved w/ running and you use them to "break another runner's back." It's person against person at the VERY same time. There is no you go first and I'll go later on. It's quite apparent you know nothing about the sport. Do you even excercise? I've ran the 8k, equivalent to 5 miles, in 24:32. Your out of shape arss probably can't run 3 miles in that time. Shiit, you probably can't even run 3 miles. I've played golf competitively a number of times. It's not a sport and I highly doubt you've ever raced competitively on a regular basis; meaning actually running at a high amateur, if not professional, level. Quit eating the whopper's and actually excercise!

Archived