F*** Tiger Woods

carpandean

Umm...obviously your probably an overweight typical american guy. There are a number of strategies involved w/ running and you use them to "break another runner's back." It's person against person at the VERY same time. There is no you go first and I'll go later on. It's quite apparent you know nothing about the sport. Do you even excercise? I've ran the 8k, equivalent to 5 miles, in 24:32. Your out of shape arss probably can't run 3 miles in that time. Shiit, you probably can't even run 3 miles. I've played golf competitively a number of times. It's not a sport and I highly doubt you've ever raced competitively on a regular basis; meaning actually running at a high amateur, if not professional, level. Quit eating the whopper's and actually excercise!

Umm...why are you so angry. you guys are sqabbling over whether running or golf is a sport. Who cares...THEY'RE BOTH STUPID. :lol:

Now, if you want to watch real athletes in a real sport....Bassmasters.

Umm...obviously your probably an overweight typical american guy. There are a number of strategies involved w/ running and you use them to "break another runner's back." It's person against person at the VERY same time. There is no you go first and I'll go later on. It's quite apparent you know nothing about the sport. Do you even excercise? I've ran the 8k, equivalent to 5 miles, in 24:32. Your out of shape arss probably can't run 3 miles in that time. Shiit, you probably can't even run 3 miles. I've played golf competitively a number of times. It's not a sport and I highly doubt you've ever raced competitively on a regular basis; meaning actually running at a high amateur, if not professional, level. Quit eating the whopper's and actually excercise!

What are you, 12?

I don't know why I'm even bothering with this since you obviously lack basic reading skills (either that or haven't read much of this thread). I like how you just threw all forms of running under on label. Oh well, I sure am glad I had that quadruple whopper after my hockey game tonight. I needed that reality check after pretending to be involved in something even remotely physical.

Remember people, if you don't run competitively, you have no right to talk about anything "athletic".

Umm...obviously your probably an overweight typical american guy. There are a number of strategies involved w/ running and you use them to "break another runner's back." It's person against person at the VERY same time. There is no you go first and I'll go later on. It's quite apparent you know nothing about the sport. Do you even exercises? I've ran the 8k, equivalent to 5 miles, in 24:32. Your out of shape arss probably can't run 3 miles in that time. Shiit, you probably can't even run 3 miles. I've played golf competitively a number of times. It's not a sport and I highly doubt you've ever raced competitively on a regular basis; meaning actually running at a high amateur, if not professional, level. Quit eating the whopper's and actually exercises!

Wow, relax.

Even if running doesn't meet someone's definition of a "sport", that doesn't mean that it doesn't require amazing physical shape or that it doesn't involve strategy. To me, it's an athletic competition. Mostly it's individual performance, but there is also a lot of mental gaming and strategy, especially when you get into distance running (less so in sprints.) I used to race Nordic (x-county) skiing in high school and rowed competitively at the collegiate level. Both of these fall into the same category. There is strategy involved, but the players don't interact directly. So, they are (again, in my mind) better classified as athletic competitions than as sports. That makes them different, but not necessarily better or worse.

It's all splitting hairs and choosing limits, anyway. Where do you draw the line. I was very good at billiards once upon a time (running the table in 9 ball was not an uncommon occurrence), but would anyone consider that a sport? Is golf that different? Again, it's where you draw the line.

Either way, there's no reason to make this personal, especially since you have know idea what he does/can or does not/cannot do.

Guest Sloth
What are you, 12?

I don't know why I'm even bothering with this since you obviously lack basic reading skills (either that or haven't read much of this thread). I like how you just threw all forms of running under on label. Oh well, I sure am glad I had that quadruple whopper after my hockey game tonight. I needed that reality check after pretending to be involved in something even remotely physical.

Remember people, if you don't run competitively, you have no right to talk about anything "athletic".

Who says physical contact w/ another "player" is needed for a sport? Do you like rubbing against other men? Long distance running is a biitch. You'll feel the most pain you can in any sport. I used to be ranked in the phuckin high school nation w/ 9:08 two mile. Running is almost beyond a sport. Infact, it's not a sport, it's a way life. There is so much shiitt you have to do and cannot do, in order to compete at the elite level. My former coach, chairman of USA Track and Field, phuckin' controlled our lives. If you only knew what it took to be among the elite. I'm not talking about some out of shape 5k runners OR OUT OF SHAPE WANT TO BE HOCKEY PLAYERS. You're at a low level of play pale. Get over it. At least I can say I accomplished something when it comes to sports.

I know that the dictionary doesn't make quite this distinction, but to me, a sport requires that players actively face each other (in a simultaneous way, not turn-by-turn), impacting each other's performance directly. Conversely, a game may involve some athletic ability and certainly some skill, but does not have that direct interaction. Hockey, soccer, football, basketball, tennis, etc. are all definitely sports. Baseball, while being slightly more lazy, is a sport. Golf, bowling, darts, etc. are skill games that may or may not require athletic ability. While in the end their scores are compared, a player cannot directly affect another's performance.

Again, this is just in my mind and not necessarily a true-to-the-dictionary-definition differentiation.

Tiger may be in great shape and being strong (the right type of strong, not necessarily body-building bulk strong) is advantageous for a golfer, one can be a great golfer without being a great athlete. One can't even be a mediocre hockey player without being a great athelete. There are plenty of guys in my pick-up league that are in pretty good shape, who are still sucking wind after going up and down the ice a couple of times.

I know I am entering into this one late, but I just wanted to point out, by your definition of sport and game, you have made NASCAR a sport. Now I realize there are alot of NASCAR fans here (I am not one) so I mean no disrespect to any of you. That said, since NASCAR is (by your definition) a sport, then the drivers are athletes. Not just an athlete but more of an athlete than a golfer. I just cannot buy this.

While I do consider NASCAR a sport (by my definition), I do not really consider the drivers athletes. They have tremendous skills I fully admit but, imho, the car is much more important to winning than the driver. Not many sports require the equipment to be more important than the competitor.

You see, I really think you cannot make such a black and white definition of sports. There are always exceptions. I think NASCAR and golf are execptions to your rules and are indeed sports along with many many others.

As for thanes, just to play devil's advocate, you say running is a sport because you race against others at the same time. What about the field events? High jump, long jump, pole vault, etc. all compete on turn based attempts. Track is a sport but not field events? FYI, I consider them all to be sports along with skiing (turn by turn), curling (turn by turn but definately meets the sports definition as defined by carp) and most other Winter Olympiad sports.

Who says physical contact w/ another "player" is needed for a sport? Do you like rubbing against other men? Long distance running is a biitch. You'll feel the most pain you can in any sport. I used to be ranked in the phuckin high school nation w/ 9:08 two mile. Running is almost beyond a sport. Infact, it's not a sport, it's a way life. There is so much shiitt you have to do and cannot do, in order to compete at the elite level. My former coach, chairman of USA Track and Field, phuckin' controlled our lives. If you only knew what it took to be among the elite. I'm not talking about some out of shape 5k runners OR OUT OF SHAPE WANT TO BE HOCKEY PLAYERS. You're at a low level of play pale. Get over it. At least I can say I accomplished something when it comes to sports.

Again, "not a sport" does not mean "bad", "not athletic" or anything else that is negative. Nobody here doubts the athletic abilities of top-level runners. A person can run 50 miles a day by himself and be a world-class athlete. Is he involved in a sport? No, there's not even appointment. Does that take away from his abilities? No, clearly not. They are different and neither mutually exclusive nor inseparable.

Guest Sloth
Again, "not a sport" does not mean "bad", "not athletic" or anything else that is negative. Nobody here doubts the athletic abilities of top-level runners. A person can run 50 miles a day by himself and be a world-class athlete. Is he involved in a sport? No, there's not even appointment. Does that take away from his abilities? No, clearly not. They are different and neither mutually exclusive nor inseparable.

This is a debate that will go on w/ no ending. I teach and coach at a high school. Another teacher/coach feels cheerleading is a sport. People are going to debate what a sport is and what it is not. Yes, cheerleading takes atheltic ability, but whenever a person's opinion is involved for the scoring, I say phuck it. Look at what happened at the 2002 Olympic Games. A phuckin "judge" was paid off to favor one figure skating couple over another. There is WAY too much opinion involved w/ "sports" like those. It ticks me off that softball has been eliminated from the Olympics, but ballroom dancing is soon to be added. What the phuck is that?

We all have different opinions and none of us are going to be proven wrong. We should get over it and get back to Sabres hockey, which we all agree is a sport.

I know I am entering into this one late, but I just wanted to point out, by your definition of sport and game, you have made NASCAR a sport. Now I realize there are alot of NASCAR fans here (I am not one) so I mean no disrespect to any of you. That said, since NASCAR is (by your definition) a sport, then the drivers are athletes. Not just an athlete but more of an athlete than a golfer. I just cannot buy this.

To save on space, I'm only quoting part, but people can read the rest.

1) NASCAR is not a sport because the physical exertion is done by car, not the driver (I put horse racing into this category as well). I just can't put either into a sport category. Steering a car may take a physical toll on the drivers, but that's not the same thing.

2) You are right that there is some gray area where cars (or runners) can block each other, suggesting a defense. I'd still tend to lead toward athletic competition, but there is a little argument there.

3) "Not just an athlete but more of an athlete than a golfer." I never suggested that being or, more to the point, not being a sport in any way is related to whether one is an athlete. To be the tops in a sport, one will likely have to be a great athlete, however the opposite is not true. One can be involved in a game (or athletic competition) and have to be a great athlete to compete. To me, the difference is only about the active and simultaneous activities of both sides in achieving something (usually scoring) and/or preventing their opponent from achieving something. Again, any kind of racing has a little bit of that, but is primarily about achieving something as quickly as you can.

Everyone is welcome to their own definitions; these are mine.

We all have different opinions and none of us are going to be proven wrong. We should get over it and get back to Sabres hockey, which we all agree is a sport.

Agreed. :thumbsup:

(For future reference, though, there was no need to make this personal. I'm sure we all want this place to be better than that.)

woah - talk about jacked. i was admittedly a little lazy in throwing the babe ruth in the winter of his career thing out there. still, there is this to consider.

post-760-1212524575_thumbjpg

and let us not forget what one of the game's purest hitters looked like while still hitting well above .300.

Please! Purest hitters? That slob couldn't take a high school pitcher deep. He played against old white pitchers with rags arms. If he ever saw a spit finger fastball he would have craped himself right at the plate. There are high schoolers throwing faster change-ups than the pitchers of his era threw fastballs.

Running still involves person against person at the same time w/ physical activity. Plus, the training for the sport is a real bittch. You try running 80 miles a week.

Running isn't a sport. Chasing is a sport. :thumbsup:

MMA/UFC? Is still not a sport. :thumbdown:

Please! Purest hitters? That slob couldn't take a high school pitcher deep. He played against old white pitchers with rags arms. If he ever saw a spit finger fastball he would have craped himself right at the plate. There are high schoolers throwing faster change-ups than the pitchers of his era threw fastballs.

Yea, and im sure Gretzky wouldn't get owned in hockey now. You think that Kareem would still be the best, or Arnold Palmer or Ali? Well, maybe Ali.

Every era has their stars. They were then, and whoever is now.

I know that the dictionary doesn't make quite this distinction, but to me, a sport requires that players actively face each other (in a simultaneous way, not turn-by-turn), impacting each other's performance directly. Conversely, a game may involve some athletic ability and certainly some skill, but does not have that direct interaction. Hockey, soccer, football, basketball, tennis, etc. are all definitely sports. Baseball, while being slightly more lazy, is a sport. Golf, bowling, darts, etc. are skill games that may or may not require athletic ability. While in the end their scores are compared, a player cannot directly affect another's performance.

Again, this is just in my mind and not necessarily a true-to-the-dictionary-definition differentiation.

Tiger may be in great shape and being strong (the right type of strong, not necessarily body-building bulk strong) is advantageous for a golfer, one can be a great golfer without being a great athlete. One can't even be a mediocre hockey player without being a great athelete. There are plenty of guys in my pick-up league that are in pretty good shape, who are still sucking wind after going up and down the ice a couple of times.

That is why I alwys thought marking your spot on the green was pretty stupid... They should leave the ball there just like in the old days and the other player should have to deal with or play around the putt.

IMO

I imagine if any high schooler stepped in the box against Walter Johnson without any equipment they might of crapped themselves too.

Umm...obviously your probably an overweight typical american guy. ... It's quite apparent you know nothing about the sport. Do you even excercise? I've ran the 8k, equivalent to 5 miles, in 24:32. Your out of shape arss probably can't run 3 miles in that time. Shiit, you probably can't even run 3 miles. ... Quit eating the whopper's and actually excercise!

Do you like rubbing against other men? ... I used to be ranked in the phuckin high school nation w/ 9:08 two mile. Running is almost beyond a sport. Infact, it's not a sport, it's a way life. ... My former coach, chairman of USA Track and Field, phuckin' controlled our lives. If you only knew what it took to be among the elite. I'm not talking about some out of shape 5k runners OR OUT OF SHAPE WANT TO BE HOCKEY PLAYERS. You're at a low level of play pale. Get over it. At least I can say I accomplished something when it comes to sports.

dude, seriously - there's medication out there that can help you.

or maybe not.

just to be clear: i was talking about the round mound of right field there, tony gwynn. (i'm pretty sure he faced some good modern pitching.)

Yea, and im sure Gretzky wouldn't get owned in hockey now. You think that Kareem would still be the best, or Arnold Palmer or Ali? Well, maybe Ali.

Every era has their stars. They were then, and whoever is now.

interestingly (or maybe not), i've heard it said by roundball nutters that if jordan were playing in today's game, he'd likely average 45 per game. the difference being that jordan had to slog through the legal brutality inflicted by the likes of the knicks and pistons, whereas today's game is called much more closely. obviously, jordan's era isn't as distant in time as gretky's, but you get the idea.

If anybody tells me Bocce isn't a sport, it is on. :chris:

summer + bocce + beer = the best

Guest Sloth
Agreed. :thumbsup:

(For future reference, though, there was no need to make this personal. I'm sure we all want this place to be better than that.)

I agree w/ you 110%. That is one of the reasons I like this board.

I rarely ever drink, but I did last night and I didn't realize how offensive I was being. I apologize for the immature, pointless remarks. Let's just stay w/ the fun Sabres debates this board is known for! And I won't touch a beer for a LONG time. My head is killing me right now! :death:

I rarely ever drink, but I did last night and I didn't realize how offensive I was being. I apologize for the immature, pointless remarks. Let's just stay w/ the fun Sabres debates this board is known for! And I won't touch a beer for a LONG time. My head is killing me right now! :death:

And just to be clear, I wasn't taking shots at runners. If you read back through this thread you'll find a reason for every word I said. Your first attempted jab, the typical american overweight thing is the one thing I want to call out though. The only typical american behavior I'm seeing in this thread is the constant need to put down people who do or like something that you (that's a general you) don't do/like. This entire thread was born out of that behavior. I'll never understand that. This world would be an incredibly boring place if everyone liked the same exact things and had the same exact opinions. People need to get over this and focus on what they enjoy.

I rarely ever drink, but I did last night and I didn't realize how offensive I was being. I apologize for the immature, pointless remarks. Let's just stay w/ the fun Sabres debates this board is known for!

It's all good. Just don't let happen again you lazy, non-sport playing ... oops, my bad. ;)

And I won't touch a beer for a LONG time. My head is killing me right now! :death:

I can't remember how many times I said that in college and ended up drunk the next night. :death:

interestingly (or maybe not), i've heard it said by roundball nutters that if jordan were playing in today's game, he'd likely average 45 per game. the difference being that jordan had to slog through the legal brutality inflicted by the likes of the knicks and pistons, whereas today's game is called much more closely. obviously, jordan's era isn't as distant in time as gretky's, but you get the idea.

summer + bocce + beer = the best

Even so, when Jordan came back and played for the Wizards he was average at best. I know it's a new team and they didn't have many good players but most teams have their one or two allstars and bank off of them to make the grade. He couldn't do it. Not saying he wasn't a great player but the skill level had increased that much since he last played.

Archived