Good for Biron!

bottlecap

Biron has been doing great. It looks like all the guy ever needed was a chance.

Not faulting management for never giving him a chance, no, not me...

He was given a chance, and he couldn't do it so thats why he was demoted to Millers backup

I guess sometimes some players just need more time and a change of scenery, he wasn't horrible here, just not good enough at the time.

Good for him though

Biron has been doing great. It looks like all the guy ever needed was a chance.

Not faulting management for never giving him a chance, no, not me...

He was terrific in game 4. Very good in game 5. And just good enough to get by the caps.

It is the best I have ever seen his glove hand.

He's streaky and he knows it......he said this the other night.

?When things are good people want to give you flowers,? he shrugged. ?When things are bad, heads up, the vase is coming.?

:lol:

The guy never runs out of things to say.

repost from Briere thread:

I know Danny put in the game-winner, but the real reason Philly won was Marty. He played unbelieveble. I kept waiting for him to let in one of those goals that we use to see here all the time(and earlier this season) that just make you shake yer head. He never did and in fact he made some GUGE(yes, I said GUGE) saves that really kept them in the game. It really bothers me that I can't wish these two guys ill.

He was terrific in game 4. Very good in game 5. And just good enough to get by the caps.

?When things are good people want to give you flowers,? he shrugged. ?When things are bad, heads up, the vase is coming.?

Glad someone started a new thread so I didn't have to break my promise to stay away from Briere thread. Biron has been great and really has been their MVP thus far. Hard for me to believe that the final four goalies are likely to be;

Fleury

Biron

Osgood

Turko

Glad someone started a new thread so I didn't have to break my promise to stay away from Briere thread. Biron has been great and really has been their MVP thus far. Hard for me to believe that the final four goalies are likely to be;

Fleury

Biron

Osgood

Turko

Wow. I knew that, but seeing it in print has me shaking my head.

I'm really happy for Marty... I just wish he didn't play for Philly... but if a team from PA has to go to the cup, I hope it's Philly and NOT Pittsburgh. All these bandwagon fans are annoying the crap out of me everyday at work. They get 200 fans to go outside the arena and watch the game and act like that is an amazing show of support... dumbasses. And half the fans in and outside the arena don't know most of the rules or the players, it's frustrating that these idiots get to watch hockey and WE don't right now.

back to topic... Let's Go MAR-TY-B!

I'm really happy for Marty... I just wish he didn't play for Philly... but if a team from PA has to go to the cup, I hope it's Philly and NOT Pittsburgh. All these bandwagon fans are annoying the crap out of me everyday at work. They get 200 fans to go outside the arena and watch the game and act like that is an amazing show of support... dumbasses. And half the fans in and outside the arena don't know most of the rules or the players, it's frustrating that these idiots get to watch hockey and WE don't right now.

back to topic... Let's Go MAR-TY-B!

I'm happy for Pittsburgh. That franchise was almost sold out from under them. There are plenty of good hockey fans in that area.

Besides, who doesn't like a cold Arn with a plate of Pirog. ;)

I'm happy for Pittsburgh. That franchise was almost sold out from under them. There are plenty of good hockey fans in that area.

I love Pittsburgh the city, but I can't generate any sympathy for them ... they tanked to get Lemieux and were rewarded for it. They talk about the Uwe Krupp goal that kept them out of the playoffs like it was some sort of tragic moment when in reality they were not going anywhere anyway and it allowed them to draft Jagr and have the two best players in the world for a while. Then they sucked bad enough to land Fleury and Malkin, but still lucked into Crosby ... throw in five Super Bowl titles and it's really hard for me to feel sorry for those fans. They have had it pretty damn good over the years.

Come to think of it, it's been so long since Philly won anything, I don't feel so bad rooting for Marty. I hate the way most of them act but Flyers fans supported that team a lot more last year than Pens fans did during their down years. It takes having the best player in the world to get those people to jump on the bandwagon.

Why did you get me started?!?! ;)

All that aside, I am happy for Marty. Hope he keeps it rolling a while, they will need him to stay really hot to beat Pittsburgh.

all true - i clicked into this thread to post that very comment - i hate the flyers and it kills me to see them succeeding ... but you can't not love marty.

the fact that some people are crying that marty wasn't given a chance here or that we failed to evaluate his talent properly (the same people who apparently believe that letting go of conklin was akin to failing to re-sign drury?) should not surprise me, but it's maddening just the same. as x said, everyone, including marty, knows that he runs hot and cold

(sh!t, in 2005-2006 he set our franchise record for consecutive wins, no?) -- right now, he's hot.

I'm conflicted. Can't but hate Philly...but can't toss Marty or Danny in with the rest. Yay for Marty though. Good to see he's gotten over the hump at least for this playoff run.

Fleury

Biron

Osgood

Turko

I'm not surprised at all about three of those four - Marty is the lone surprise to me. I've always felt he had the talent to do it but he never put it together consistently enough to make people think a playoff run was possible.

Fleury's image has been damaged by expectations - he was victim of high expectations when he was taken first overall, then when he struggled his first couple years in the league (as an 18/19 year old) people wrote him off as a bust. His numbers have gotten much better over the last few years.

Osgood already has backstopped the Wings to one Cup, so his success shouldn't be surprising. Turco just needed to improve his postseason focus and cut down the bad goals - last year they lost in the first round (seven games) even though he only allowed 11 goals and posted 3 shutouts. The offense has come to play this postseason for the Stars.

I'm conflicted. Can't but hate Philly...but can't toss Marty or Danny in with the rest. Yay for Marty though. Good to see he's gotten over the hump at least for this playoff run.

Fixed to show how I feel.

I'm in the same boat. I've never had any like for the Flyers - I only know one Philly fan who is everything but the stereotypical obnoxious Philly fan.

Remember that Marty is the reason the Flyers are at this point. Without his play, they probably lose to the Caps in 6 games.

I'm not surprised at all about three of those four - Marty is the lone surprise to me. I've always felt he had the talent to do it but he never put it together consistently enough to make people think a playoff run was possible.

Fleury's image has been damaged by expectations - he was victim of high expectations when he was taken first overall, then when he struggled his first couple years in the league (as an 18/19 year old) people wrote him off as a bust. His numbers have gotten much better over the last few years.

Osgood already has backstopped the Wings to one Cup, so his success shouldn't be surprising. Turco just needed to improve his postseason focus and cut down the bad goals - last year they lost in the first round (seven games) even though he only allowed 11 goals and posted 3 shutouts. The offense has come to play this postseason for the Stars.

Fixed to show how I feel.

My point is, that if someone asked you to name ten goalies likely to lead their team to the Cup, were would those four fall? As you said, they all have their credentials, just not the four names I would expect.

That has been the biggest thing that's stuck out about his performance. That, and when he does give up a big rebound the pylons in front of him manage to swat them away.

I can't say that I recall ever seeing his glove this good.

Ah, yes. Not sold on the beer, but you've gotta love the jingle.

"Just say I. C.,

add an L.,

and an E.,

and you've got ....

LICE ?!?!?" :unsure:

It is impossible not to like Marty (even though he plays for the Flyers).

He is a great guy and a class act. He always liked Buffalo. I believe he made his home in Buffalo and married a Buffalo girl.

I am glad to see him doing well. He deserves it.

By the way, I know some of you guys like to dump on him, but doesn't Marty hold the Sabres record for most consecutive shutout minutes?!?

My point is, that if someone asked you to name ten goalies likely to lead their team to the Cup, were would those four fall? As you said, they all have their credentials, just not the four names I would expect.

It depends. Are we talking about randomly naming the best goalies who made the playoffs/the elite goalies, or are we talking about objectively predicting which goalies on which good teams would likely be in the final four? Of all the teams that qualified for the playoffs, the only ones that would surprise me in the final four would be Biron, Ellis, maybe Emery.

If I had to bet before the playoffs started, I would have put my money on Nabokov, Osgood/Hasek, Price, Fleury (or Lundqvist.) But since the guys who made it are good goalies on good teams, I'm not shocked.

Archived