Danny Briere 2 goals last night

bob_sauve28

It was a little interesting to hear Danny Boy say how this years deficit of 3-1 was different than last years 3-1 deficit..He said they were resigned to the fact last yr they were beaten, this yrs team felt energized and thought they could come back and beat them..Guess ya dont go on feelings Danielle...

Yeah that was a disappointing statement ... I mean, that guy had a 'C' on his sweater for one of those games after they went down 3-0 to Ottawa ... and he admits he was resigned to it being over? That's the kind of leadership they were missing so badly this season?!?! If that's what the kids had to look up to no wonder they struggled when the going got tough this season.

It was a little interesting to hear Danny Boy say how this years deficit of 3-1 was different than last years 3-1 deficit..He said they were resigned to the fact last yr they were beaten, this yrs team felt energized and thought they could come back and beat them..Guess ya dont go on feelings Danielle...

Oh Danny, I beg to differ:

... and I think this makes it clear who the real leader of the Sabres was!

Philly just never got the puck deep.

of course, in 2006, I was told the problem was we didn't have the defense to make our transition game work - that was why Briere & company failed in game 7. Now he needs the dump and chase?

Yeah that was a disappointing statement ... I mean, that guy had a 'C' on his sweater for one of those games after they went down 3-0 to Ottawa ... and he admits he was resigned to it being over? That's the kind of leadership they were missing so badly this season?!?! If that's what the kids had to look up to no wonder they struggled when the going got tough this season.

I know this is an easy poke, and I almost feel silly taking it, but if that's how he felt at 3-0, then how did he feel at 2-0, before playing the stinker of the season along with 17 of his teammates? Miller was the only player to show up in that game, and was the sole reason we only lost 1-0 instead of being murdered 7-0.

18 shots on goal is what we managed.

That statement sure as heck don't sound like a leader on a young team, let alone someone who has leadership POTENTIAL.

I know this is an easy poke, and I almost feel silly taking it, but if that's how he felt at 3-0, then how did he feel at 2-0, before playing the stinker of the season along with 17 of his teammates? Miller was the only player to show up in that game, and was the sole reason we only lost 1-0 instead of being murdered 7-0.

18 shots on goal is what we managed.

That statement sure as heck don't sound like a leader on a young team, let alone someone who has leadership POTENTIAL.

Maybe the Sabres front office knew what they were doing after all.

What does any of this matter. Briere made it to the EC finals, Drury made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs. Sabres finished 10th in the conference missing the playoffs. Our 2 ex-co-captains made it a lot further than we did, end of story.

Sabres management has some serious work to do in the off-season if they want to turn things around. Let's hope they make the right decisions.

What does any of this matter. Briere made it to the EC finals, Drury made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs. Sabres finished 10th in the conference missing the playoffs. Our 2 ex-co-captains made it a lot further than we did, end of story.

Sabres management has some serious work to do in the off-season if they want to turn things around. Let's hope they make the right decisions.

You left out the part of them being over priced huge disappointments. And lets throw Campbell into that mix since his playoffs might have cost him millions per year.

This concept that the Sabres need things to "turn around" is laughable. They are on the right path and just need to keep doing what they have been doing. They need to take care of their own, have a strong draft and is there is a free agent out there that fits the Sabres and isn't over priced? Get him signed.

Just to be fair, they didn't achieve those finishes by themselves, their teams did. In the same sense, 7 other teams in the East did better than the Sabres. Not to mention that neither of our ex-captains is the star on their team. Each is a part, but Chris is playing with Jagr, Shanahan, Gomez, Lundqvist, etc., while Danny is playing with Timonen, Smith, Richards, Hatcher, etc.. That doesn't necessarily mean that keeping either one would have been the right decision (though, I still agree with the Sabres wanting to keep Chris and let Danny walk.) Plus, you are judging long-term decisions on the performance in one season.

There are some moves that need to be made this year, some of which should have been made last season, and we shall see if the FO makes them, but it's not like they were that far off this year. They were definitely missing something that would push them through those tight games, but barring that, they had the talent to make it just as far as either of those teams -- don't forget that 3/4 of the way through the season, the Sabres were ahead of both of them. There's no telling how much the loss of Teppo played into this year's performance, compounding the need for leadership that we all have acknowledged. Perhaps, had he been there to keep our defense's heads together during those tough times, that building "from within" leadership would have been sufficient this year to push at least into the playoffs.

Edit: wow, after being at a stand-still, that page went fast. You know what that means ...

1 .. 2 .. 3 .. 4 .. 5 .. 6 .. 7 .. 8 .. 9 .. 10 .. 11 .. 12 .. 13 .. 14 .. 15 .. 16 .. 17 .. 18 .. 19 .. 20 .. 21 .. 22 .. 23 .. 24 .. 25 .. 26 .. 27 .. 28 .. 29 .. 30 .. 31 .. 32 .. 33 .. 34 .. 35 .. 36 .. 37 .. 38 .. 39 .. 40 .. 41 .. 42 .. 43 .. 44 ..

WE WANT 45!!!!!

and most definitely not this guy:

post-1053-1211206521_thumbjpg

You left out the part of them being over priced huge disappointments. And lets throw Campbell into that mix since his playoffs might have cost him millions per year.

This concept that the Sabres need things to "turn around" is laughable. They are on the right path and just need to keep doing what they have been doing. They need to take care of their own, have a strong draft and is there is a free agent out there that fits the Sabres and isn't over priced? Get him signed.

I guess missing the playoffs is being on the right track? Every team, in every sport has to build their team around a couple of key pieces, constantly moving around those pieces does not create a winner. Some players you have to sign and give them bigger contracts, other players are expendable.

If you were an NHL player, and had the point production like either Drury or Briere had, you mean to tell me that you wouldn't want more money when your contract was coming up... the answer is "No".

With Briere, Drury & Campbell, we went to the EC Finals twice, without them we were in 10th place. Stats don't lie. It doesn't matter how much they're getting paid, or what they did versus this team and in this game. The bottom line is we were a better team with them. Finishing 10th in the conference and missing the playoffs is NOT ON THE RIGHT PATH. Our defense is terrible, and we need a solid backup goalie to give Miller a break. If you think our defense & backup goalie's are fine then you need a good set of glasses.

Just to be fair, they didn't achieve those finishes by themselves, their teams did. In the same sense, 7 other teams in the East did better than the Sabres. Not to mention that neither of our ex-captains is the star on their team. Each is a part, but Chris is playing with Jagr, Shanahan, Gomez, Lundqvist, etc., while Danny is playing with Timonen, Smith, Richards, Hatcher, etc.. That doesn't necessarily mean that keeping either one would have been the right decision (though, I still agree with the Sabres wanting to keep Chris and let Danny walk.) Plus, you are judging long-term decisions on the performance in one season.

There are some moves that need to be made this year, some of which should have been made last season, and we shall see if the FO makes them, but it's not like they were that far off this year. They were definitely missing something that would push them through those tight games, but barring that, they had the talent to make it just as far as either of those teams -- don't forget that 3/4 of the way through the season, the Sabres were ahead of both of them. There's no telling how much the loss of Teppo played into this year's performance, compounding the need for leadership that we all have acknowledged. Perhaps, had he been there to keep our defense's heads together during those tough times, that building "from within" leadership would have been sufficient this year to push at least into the playoffs.

Edit: wow, after being at a stand-still, that page went fast. You know what that means ...

1 .. 2 .. 3 .. 4 .. 5 .. 6 .. 7 .. 8 .. 9 .. 10 .. 11 .. 12 .. 13 .. 14 .. 15 .. 16 .. 17 .. 18 .. 19 .. 20 .. 21 .. 22 .. 23 .. 24 .. 25 .. 26 .. 27 .. 28 .. 29 .. 30 .. 31 .. 32 .. 33 .. 34 .. 35 .. 36 .. 37 .. 38 .. 39 .. 40 .. 41 .. 42 .. 43 .. 44 ..

WE WANT 45!!!!!

and most definitely not this guy:

post-1053-1211206521_thumbjpg

That's my problem with Sabres management. Philly was last in the NHL last year, this year they went to the EC finals. Flyers management made the right moves, and we made the wrong moves.

I guess missing the playoffs is being on the right track? Every team, in every sport has to build their team around a couple of key pieces, constantly moving around those pieces does not create a winner. Some players you have to sign and give them bigger contracts, other players are expendable.

If you were an NHL player, and had the point production like either Drury or Briere had, you mean to tell me that you wouldn't want more money when your contract was coming up... the answer is "No".

With Briere, Drury & Campbell, we went to the EC Finals twice, without them we were in 10th place. Stats don't lie. It doesn't matter how much they're getting paid, or what they did versus this team and in this game. The bottom line is we were a better team with them. Finishing 10th in the conference and missing the playoffs is NOT ON THE RIGHT PATH. Our defense is terrible, and we need a solid backup goalie to give Miller a break. If you think our defense & backup goalie's are fine then you need a good set of glasses.

Like Roy, Vanek, Pominville and Miller. You don't over pay for older players with zero upside. You don't sign those players long term. Not in the salary cap era. Not many teams can afford to have dead cap space.

Again, sometimes a team needs to take a step back to go forward. They had their run with those players and came up short. It was time to reevaluate the situation and move forward. Which they have done. They now have a solid core of young forwards to build on and are heading into the off season with the ability to tweak or alter the roster any way they see fit. Every team has has holes just like the Sabres. They are aware and will try to fix them.

Remind me never to go hiking with you. The first valley we reach you will be panicking and shooting off rescue flares. :doh:

Yep. I lost a lotta respect for Briere when I read that. As co-captain, that was his responsibility. I wasn't sure if he was a good captain then, but now I'm pretty sure he wasn't. Drury yes, Briere no. And the Flyers are paying him 8 million? That's a major overpayment. Too easy to neutralize, not good defensively, etc.

Like Roy, Vanek, Pominville and Miller. You don't over pay for older players with zero upside. You don't sign those players long term. Not in the salary cap era. Not many teams can afford to have dead cap space.

Again, sometimes a team needs to take a step back to go forward. They had their run with those players and came up short. It was time to reevaluate the situation and move forward. Which they have done. They now have a solid core of young forwards to build on and are heading into the off season with the ability to tweak or alter the roster any way they see fit. Every team has has holes just like the Sabres. They are aware and will try to fix them.

Remind me never to go hiking with you. The first valley we reach you will be panicking and shooting off rescue flares. :doh:

First off, I did over 8 1/2 years in the Marines, so I had more than my share of hiking.

You do have valid points about not signing older players long term. I feel Drury & Briere should have been offered contracts for about 4-5 years in length, way before the start of their final season, but they weren't and they are no longer Sabres, so the issue is over with. I just want to see what Sabres management is going to do to build this team back into a winner....plain and simple. The Briere issue has been beaten worse than Eight Belles at the Kentucky Derby, so let's put it to rest. I like Biron & Briere, but I'm glad to see the Flyers get destroyed 6-0. Hopefully Dallas will have the same fate against Detroit.

That's my problem with Sabres management. Philly was last in the NHL last year, this year they went to the EC finals. Flyers management made the right moves, and we made the wrong moves.

I will agree that the Flyers made some good moves starting at the trade deadline last year. Out of all of their acquisitions, though, Danny would definitely not be at the top of my list of the best moves that they made. I would have taken Jason Smith at less that $2 million or Timonen for less (similar, but slightly lower) than Danny's money over Danny. Also, while they weren't acquired, over the next 8 years, I would have taken Richards, Carter and maybe even Umberger over Danny.*

* That should be good for another couple of pages in this thread. :thumbsup:

Yep. I lost a lotta respect for Briere when I read that. As co-captain, that was his responsibility. I wasn't sure if he was a good captain then, but now I'm pretty sure he wasn't. Drury yes, Briere no. And the Flyers are paying him 8 million? That's a major overpayment. Too easy to neutralize, not good defensively, etc.

I think Vanek is overpaid at $7 million a year. Did Briere get overpaid, yes, but team's will pay for point production instead of all the other intangibles that another quality player might have. I feel Peca should have been paid when he was going through his salary problems in the 00-01 season, but that didn't happen.

First off, I did over 8 1/2 years in the Marines, so I had more than my share of hiking.

You do have valid points about not signing older players long term. I feel Drury & Briere should have been offered contracts for about 4-5 years in length, way before the start of their final season, but they weren't and they are no longer Sabres, so the issue is over with. I just want to see what Sabres management is going to do to build this team back into a winner....plain and simple. The Briere issue has been beaten worse than Eight Belles at the Kentucky Derby, so let's put it to rest. I like Biron & Briere, but I'm glad to see the Flyers get destroyed 6-0. Hopefully Dallas will have the same fate against Detroit.

It was more if a statement regarding peaks and valleys, not an assessment of your physical fitness.

That would be fine, if that was their plan. The fact is they lost all three players and are overpaying their star pffensive player because they mis-read the market. If what you are saying is based in any way in fact, the Sabres' end of the year press conference last year would have went something like this;

LQ/DR: We are very thankful for the efforts made by Chris and Danny in turning this franchise around. However, we think they have gotten us as far as we can go and therefore we plan on retooling our team around the young core we have put in place. We wish them the best in their future endeavors.

We will now turn our attention to Thomas and Derek and hope to have them signed before July 1st so we can use the free agency period to see if we can add some less expensive veteran leadership to this young core we plan to build around.

As far as Brian is concerned, we have a number in mind that fits into our plan and if we can get it done before training camp, he will be a part of our future.

Exactly right. Your Big money guys have to be The guys to come up big in the playoffs, not play supportive rolls.(does that make sense?...wait... you get it)

Not unlike the Flyers this year with Danny.

Seeing this years playoffs has only strengthened my resolve that it was not that big of a deal to lose both chris and danny. Although i liked them both a lot and they are fun to watch in the regular season, you need size in the playoffs and I want my big money superstar(which you need to win in the post-season) to be BIG.

I think Vanek is overpaid at $7 million a year. Did Briere get overpaid, yes, but team's will pay for point production instead of all the other intangibles that another quality player might have. I feel Peca should have been paid when he was going through his salary problems in the 00-01 season, but that didn't happen.

The only difference between the two is that Danny is likely playing his best hockey right now, so it's easy to assess what he is worth. Vanek is in just his third NHL season, has 100+ goals, two 35+ goal seasons (including one 40+ goal season) and has led the team in goals for two years. He might plateau here, which would mean that he is a bit over-paid, but there is also a good chance that he will improve, earning every dime he is paid. It was a bigger gamble than the Sabres would have liked to have taken, but it will take at least one more season before you can really determine if it has paid off.

I also thought Peca should have been paid in 00-01. Of cours, I also thought that they should have picked him up cheaply as a third/shut-down line center and PK specialist in August. I bet that $1.3 million + bonuses would have bought us at least one round of the playoffs.

It was more if a statement regarding peaks and valleys, not an assessment of your physical fitness.

No, I never had to climb up/down mountains & hills or had to figure out our way around valleys or obstacles (sarcasm).

Exactly right. Your Big money guys have to be The guys to come up big in the playoffs, not play supportive rolls.(does that make sense?...wait... you get it)

Not unlike the Flyers this year with Danny.

Seeing this years playoffs has only strengthened my resolve that it was not that big of a deal to lose both chris and danny. Although i liked them both a lot and they are fun to watch in the regular season, you need size in the playoffs and I want my big money superstar(which you need to win in the post-season) to be BIG.

You mean huge like Datsyuk and Zetterberg?

Archived