Danny Briere 2 goals last night

bob_sauve28

Briere scored one and the Flyers are up by three. 50 pages here we come!!

Edit: look at that, I took us to 41, you know what that means ...

1 .. 2 .. 3 .. 4 .. 5 .. 6 .. 7 .. 8 .. 9 .. 10 .. 11 .. 12 .. 13 .. 14 .. 15 .. 16 .. 17 .. 18 .. 19 .. 20 .. 21 .. 22 .. 23 .. 24 .. 25 .. 26 .. 27 .. 28 .. 29 .. 30 .. 31 .. 32 .. 33 .. 34 .. 35 .. 36 .. 37 .. 38 .. 39 .. 40 .. 41 ..

WE WANT 42!!!!!

and, no, not this guy:

post-1053-1210897865_thumbjpg

'cause he Smehlik like Zhitnik!!

(2 more pages for Alexei!)

Yea, I knew this thread would come alive after nearly a week of relative silence (perhaps corresponding to Briere's silence on the ice?) when Briere scored that PP goal. It was actually a pretty interesting goal.

But Shirley, there must be something better to talk about.

Of course not ... and don't can me Shirley!

Hey, that was as easy as a Briere tip-in. :thumbsup:

Better not mention tap-ins...the issue of value might come up again. And you did mean tap in, not tip in I gather. Tip ins are among the very hardest to pull off, tap-ins are just below open netters in the easy category.

Better not mention tap-ins...the issue of value might come up again. And you did mean tap in, not tip in I gather. Tip ins are among the very hardest to pull off, tap-ins are just below open netters in the easy category.

Yes, sorry, tap-in. That's right, Vanek does tip-ins, Danny does tap-ins. :ph34r:

Just stirring the pot ...

One decent, not great, game by Danny doesn't change the fact that Pittsburgh has pretty much neutralized him and it doesn't bode well for Buffalo's future success if Pittsburgh can keep Crosby, Malkin and Staal.

I do, however, want to address the notion that tap in goals are some how easy to come by. Why doesn't everyone do it? Everyone knows how hard goals are to come by, that teams pay through the nose for goal scorers so why doesn't just everyone just get themselves in position at the right time to just tap it in?

One decent, not great, game by Danny doesn't change the fact that Pittsburgh has pretty much neutralized him and it doesn't bode well for Buffalo's future success if Pittsburgh can keep Crosby, Malkin and Staal.

Well, St. Louis, Lecavalier and Richards didn't exactly mean a dynasty for Tampa ...

Fleury looks like the real deal but he could get poached or just be hot right now ... goalies are weird ... Malone, Orpik and Hossa are unrestricted this summer ... Malkin and Staal are both RFAs after next season, if they don't lock them up someone could try to poach them ... if they DO lock them up right away this offseason, will they be able to address Orpik and/or Malone?

Granted, the cap going up and up makes it easier for Pgh to keep a lot of their talent there, but that's a lot of balls to keep in the air over the next 14 months ... they will be very strong but I am not ready to just concede the East for the next 5-10 years.

I am curious how they are going to do that. We'll see.

I do, however, want to address the notion that tap in goals are some how easy to come by. Why doesn't everyone do it? Everyone knows how hard goals are to come by, that teams pay through the nose for goal scorers so why doesn't just everyone just get themselves in position at the right time to just tap it in?

Just having some fun, Tom. Briere is certainly one of the 'sneakiest' forwards in the league in terms of finding the soft zones around the goal and pouncing on rebounds.

Well, St. Louis, Lecavalier and Richards didn't exactly mean a dynasty for Tampa ...

Fleury looks like the real deal but he could get poached or just be hot right now ... goalies are weird ... Malone, Orpik and Hossa are unrestricted this summer ... Malkin and Staal are both RFAs after next season, if they don't lock them up someone could try to poach them ... if they DO lock them up right away this offseason, will they be able to address Orpik and/or Malone?

Granted, the cap going up and up makes it easier for Pgh to keep a lot of their talent there, but that's a lot of balls to keep in the air over the next 14 months ... they will be very strong but I am not ready to just concede the East for the next 5-10 years.

They also have Ray Shero at GM, and with Gonchar and Whitney, a couple of studs on defense. With a new building going up and presumably major cash available, I believe they will lock up the stars and fill in the other pieces as need be. The Hossa trade shows that Shero believes that you can replace guys like Armstong and Christensen even enough.

I am not ready to concede the East either, but like I said previously, your plan of attack against those three better not be Roy, Connolly and Gaustad.

They also have Ray Shero at GM, and with Gonchar and Whitney, a couple of studs on defense. With a new building going up and presumably major cash available, I believe they will lock up the stars and fill in the other pieces as need be. The Hossa trade shows that Shero believes that you can replace guys like Armstong and Christensen even enough.

I am not ready to concede the East either, but like I said previously, your plan of attack against those three better not be Roy, Connolly and Gaustad.

Honestly I have never been too impressed with Gonchar. (maybe nothing more than a personal bias)

Shero doesn't appear too worried about next year or the year after yet - he thinks they can win a cup this year.

I think their window may be smaller than most - but I think Shero is gambling that if he protects a core of about

four or five players, there may be a few grizzled vets willing to sign on for one last cup run year to year - in the Roberts, Shanahan, Geurin type of mold.

In two years, I bet they have 80% turnover.

Hey, I hear ya, the Hossa trade was a no-brainer, great move, those guys were bit parts and even if Christiansen had developed into something he would never have been a priority with all those other pieces ...

I guess I just remember 2 years ago when the Sabres had all that offensive talent and the young stud goalie and the shut-down top D paring locked up long term, yada yada yada ... I know Crosby/Malkin > Drury/Briere or whatever, just saying .... you just never know what might happen.

I guess I just thought "it doesn't bode well for Buffalo's future success" was a strong statement. No matter what any team does it's going to be hard to match that up the middle ... but the Sabres can still be successful ... I mean, someone will find a way to keep them from winning 5 straight Cups ... right? I hope .... ;)

Honestly I have never been too impressed with Gonchar. (maybe nothing more than a personal bias)

Shero doesn't appear too worried about next year or the year after yet - he thinks they can win a cup this year.

I think their window may be smaller than most - but I think Shero is gambling that if he protects a core of about

four or five players, there may be a few grizzled vets willing to sign on for one last cup run year to year - in the Roberts, Shanahan, Geurin type of mold.

In two years, I bet they have 80% turnover.

I respectfully disagree. I think the whole notion of windows of opportunity is an obsolete notion generated from a time when teams were learning how to deal with salary caps. I look at all sports and see less turnover on winning teams then you would have seen only a couple of years ago.

I also think Pittsburgh is going ot test the theory of being able to win with a core of 6 or 7 players and a bunch of interchangeable parts.

I respectfully disagree. I think the whole notion of windows of opportunity is an obsolete notion generated from a time when teams were learning how to deal with salary caps. I look at all sports and see less turnover on winning teams then you would have seen only a couple of years ago.

I also think Pittsburgh is going ot test the theory of being able to win with a core of 6 or 7 players and a bunch of interchangeable parts.

We'll see how it unfolds. Perhaps they can sign Malkin for 9 million and still have money for the rest.

We'll see how it unfolds. Perhaps they can sign Malkin for 9 million and still have money for the rest.

I was thinking like you until I saw the cap is likely to go up like $6 million again this season ... if it keeps going up $6 million a year, they may very well be able to hold it together ... Crosby's cap number starting next season is actually less than $9 million but for argument's sake, if we assume Malkin is $9 million, that's $18M ... Gonchar and Whitney are another $9M, so $27M ... that still leaves almost $30 million ... Fleury will be the interesting thing ... if they win the Cup does he get Lundqvist money? Probly not at his age but I would think he couldask for $4 or 5M a year, which is a lot more than he would have gotten 3 months ago ...

I don't know ... it's going to be a good team, but it will depend on how the "supporting cast" performs ... I can't help but think that even if they hold the core together they are going to have a hard time getting consistent, quality play out of their 4-5-6 defensemen and their 3rd and 4th lines ... one year it could all click like it is now, the next they could get what they pay for and those cheaper guys could struggle.

But it sure is a nice group to be opening a new building with.

nice direction for the thread.

pittsburgh does present a very interesting situation.

i see a lot of talk about their young forwards - and rightly so - those are three bright lights in malkin, crosby and staal.

but, as is always the case, it's how their defensive corps has come together that allows them to be where they are, playing the way they are. if that particular apple cart gets tipped over, they will not be the same team -- they could very well still be awfully damn good. but not the same.

nice direction for the thread.

pittsburgh does present a very interesting situation.

i see a lot of talk about their young forwards - and rightly so - those are three bright lights in malkin, crosby and staal.

but, as is always the case, it's how their defensive corps has come together that allows them to be where they are, playing the way they are. if that particular apple cart gets tipped over, they will not be the same team -- they could very well still be awfully damn good. but not the same.

well, we need something to get this thread to end the day Briere and the Flyers playoffs end, on page 48

This thread needs a little excitement back in it...

I thought when Briere scored his goal it would cause a huge surge in posts. I would guess that goal will be in his HOF highlight package :lol:

You think Briere will have Bucky Gleason induct him?

In all seriousness, I hope the Flyers and Stars continue to extend their Series. I hate when there is a long break between series.

1 .. 2 .. 3 .. 4 .. 5 .. 6 .. 7 .. 8 .. 9 .. 10 .. 11 .. 12 .. 13 .. 14 .. 15 .. 16 .. 17 .. 18 .. 19 .. 20 .. 21 .. 22 .. 23 .. 24 .. 25 .. 26 .. 27 .. 28 .. 29 .. 30 .. 31 .. 32 .. 33 .. 34 .. 35 .. 36 .. 37 .. 38 .. 39 .. 40 .. 41 .. 42 ..

WE WANT 43!!!!!

and, no, not this guy:

post-1053-1211121337_thumbjpg

maybe this guy:

post-1053-1211121343_thumbjpg

'cause he's fun to have on the bench! Oh, and 'cause he's playing his best hockey this post season.

1 .. 2 .. 3 .. 4 .. 5 .. 6 .. 7 .. 8 .. 9 .. 10 .. 11 .. 12 .. 13 .. 14 .. 15 .. 16 .. 17 .. 18 .. 19 .. 20 .. 21 .. 22 .. 23 .. 24 .. 25 .. 26 .. 27 .. 28 .. 29 .. 30 .. 31 .. 32 .. 33 .. 34 .. 35 .. 36 .. 37 .. 38 .. 39 .. 40 .. 41 .. 42 ..

WE WANT 43!!!!!

and, no, not this guy:

post-1053-1211121337_thumbjpg

maybe this guy:

post-1053-1211121343_thumbjpg

'cause he's fun to have on the bench! Oh, and 'cause he's playing his best hockey this post season.

That was Daaaaawwwwwwsoommme :lol: Man, I hated John Gurgler :thumbdown:

Archived