The player I want...

SabresFanInRochester

I am not talking about getting Crosby or Ovechkin in a trade. My idea has a trace of reality to it...

I watched some of Florida vs Washington yesterday, and it was another chance to see Bouwmeester play. I think that is the style d-man that would make an instant impact in Buffalo and I would love to see him here. I am pretty sure he is under contract for another year, but maybe a player trade would interest Florida. They could use some players, so package Max, Mike Ryan, and Paetsch. Throw in a draft pick if you have to.

I am not talking about getting Crosby or Ovechkin in a trade. My idea has a trace of reality to it...

I watched some of Florida vs Washington yesterday, and it was another chance to see Bouwmeester play. I think that is the style d-man that would make an instant impact in Buffalo and I would love to see him here. I am pretty sure he is under contract for another year, but maybe a player trade would interest Florida. They could use some players, so package Max, Mike Ryan, and Paetsch. Throw in a draft pick if you have to.

He wont be traded..They like him alot

Bouwmeester is a restricted free aqent and a stud. The fact that he hasn't signed yet is interesting but if he bolts for an offer or is traded, the price will be substantial. It will take a lot more than the garbage you mentioned and besides Ryan is a free agent.

I have a feeling that Malkin is gonna become available..There is no way the Pens can keep both Sid and Malkin..I cant see them moving Sid but I can see them moving Malkin..I would Love to see the Sabes make a strong move and make a play for him if he becomes available..There is the guy who you build a team around...

I have a feeling that Malkin is gonna become available..There is no way the Pens can keep both Sid and Malkin..I cant see them moving Sid but I can see them moving Malkin..I would Love to see the Sabes make a strong move and make a play for him if he becomes available..There is the guy who you build a team around...

Well, if they choose not to re-sign Hossa, I think they'll have enough money to keep Malkin around. Also, they've got a new arena coming up so revenue won't be a problem. And, with the salary cap continuing to go up, you can keep Malkin, so long as Malkin makes less than Crosby. For example, if you've got Malkin under contract for $7-8 million/season, you can afford both Malkin and Crosby. But you'll probably lose guys like Ryan Malone and Jordan Staal and or Fleury. So, you've got to make up your mind, but it is definitely feasible to keep Malkin and Crosby and for the Pens to still have a good team.

With regard to Bouwmeester, it's highly unlikely the Sabres can get him. Unless they offer up Max, Stafford, Paetsch and both first round picks, maybe they can get Bouwmeester and someone else from the team (think Jokinen, my pipe dream). But, I find it highly unlikely. He's due for a big raise too this year. So, I don't think it will happen.

I'm sure the Florida GM isn't mentally challenged.

I'm sure the Florida GM isn't mentally challenged.

I'm pretty sure Jacques Martin wouldn't take a package consisting of an inconsistent, enigmatic, overrated winger, a soon-to-be-UFA winger and a no.7 defenseman for a franchise-type defenseman, but you never know...

Bouwmeester is a restricted free aqent and a stud. The fact that he hasn't signed yet is interesting but if he bolts for an offer or is traded, the price will be substantial. It will take a lot more than the garbage you mentioned and besides Ryan is a free agent.

So wait, if you were Florida, you wouldn't accept one guy with minimal value and two with zero value in exchange for Bouwmeester? You're crazy.

I'm pretty sure Jacques Martin wouldn't take a package consisting of an inconsistent, enigmatic, overrated winger, a soon-to-be-UFA winger and a no.7 defenseman for a franchise-type defenseman, but you never know...

Maybe we can add Macarther and get back Jokinen also..Just messin around..Take no offense please

They could use some players, so package Max, Mike Ryan, and Paetsch. Throw in a draft pick if you have to.

Why not throw in Mancari and Hunter to sweeten the pot? <_< Jacques Martin would hang up before you even got half way through your proposed offer. Your not even close to what it would take.

Well, if they choose not to re-sign Hossa, I think they'll have enough money to keep Malkin around. Also, they've got a new arena coming up so revenue won't be a problem. And, with the salary cap continuing to go up, you can keep Malkin, so long as Malkin makes less than Crosby. For example, if you've got Malkin under contract for $7-8 million/season, you can afford both Malkin and Crosby. But you'll probably lose guys like Ryan Malone and Jordan Staal and or Fleury. So, you've got to make up your mind, but it is definitely feasible to keep Malkin and Crosby and for the Pens to still have a good team.

With regard to Bouwmeester, it's highly unlikely the Sabres can get him. Unless they offer up Max, Stafford, Paetsch and both first round picks, maybe they can get Bouwmeester and someone else from the team (think Jokinen, my pipe dream). But, I find it highly unlikely. He's due for a big raise too this year. So, I don't think it will happen.

In order to get Bouwmeester out of Florida it would take at an ABSOLUTE minimum Max, Lydman or Tallinder, and Stafford. They would need to have a top 4 d-man coming back to soften the blow to their defense. A #7 (Paetsch) is of no use to them in that situation.

Considering they average ~80% of capacity in Sunrise, a player like Max that does sell shirts and seats could be of interest as part of a package. Also considering that Martin thinks he can handle both coach and GM duties, he may believe he is a good enough hockey guru to get Max to get his brain and hands working the way his feet do.

Please note, I didn't say I expect this trade to be doable from Florida's point of view; I just said it is the absolute minimum that I'd think they'd find acceptable.

In order to get Bouwmeester out of Florida it would take at an ABSOLUTE minimum Max, Lydman or Tallinder, and Stafford.

Still sound a little light going to Florida. I would think more along the lines of Sekera/Weber with maybe Stafford or a prospect.

Still sound a little light going to Florida. I would think more along the lines of Sekera/Weber with maybe Stafford or a prospect.

They might want Sekera or Weber added to the package, but they'd definitely want an established D man coming back. While Sekera shows a ton of potential and Weber shows a lot as well, FLA needs to put fannies in the seats today and bringing back only prospects for a top D man won't do that.

At any rate, I'd be very surprised to see the Sabres make a legit play for Jay, but that would go a long way toward putting this team back into contention status.

I was with you until you said what Florida would be getting in return. Why in the world would Florida want all of our trash? This is another case of "let's give up all of our junk for something good" as if rival GMs are moronic and drool on themselves all day long.

I was with you until you said what Florida would be getting in return. Why in the world would Florida want all of our trash? This is another case of "let's give up all of our junk for something good" as if rival GMs are moronic and drool on themselves all day long.

True, Bobby Clarke has been out of the league for a while now.

They're going to have to choose between Malkin and Hossa at some point.

I'd choose Malkin.

If you really want a Bouwmeester-type player...it'll take a little more than the junk you are willing to give...I'd give Max, Tallinder, and our #1

Especially when Florida scouts have seen these guys play more than normal. Remember, Buffalo and Florida have both been affiliated with Rochester, Florida for 3 years now. Florida would never make a deal with Buffalo unless they come up with a package.

They might want Sekera or Weber added to the package, but they'd definitely want an established D man coming back. While Sekera shows a ton of potential and Weber shows a lot as well, FLA needs to put fannies in the seats today and bringing back only prospects for a top D man won't do that.

At any rate, I'd be very surprised to see the Sabres make a legit play for Jay, but that would go a long way toward putting this team back into contention status.

Okay, so take my orginal 3 -- Max, Mike Ryan, Paetsch. We don't want them so might as well package them. And if in the process you have to add Tallinder or Weber, I say deal.

Okay, so take my orginal 3 -- Max, Mike Ryan, Paetsch. We don't want them so might as well package them. And if in the process you have to add Tallinder or Weber, I say deal.

If I see Mike Ryan or Nathan Paetsch in another proposed trade I'm jumping off the roof at HSBC. Let me try to put this mildly. These guys aren't prospects. They have no value to anyone, not to mention the fact that Mike Ryan is a UFA. Nate Paetsch is not a kid still developing. He's not the next Brain Campbell. He's the next Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre, except smaller, whiter, slower and not as good a fighter.

Mike Ryan is creeping up on 30 years old folks. He's Holzinger-lite if that is even possible.

It wasn't your trade package I was suggesting adding Sekara or Weber to. As others have stated, there is no trade value in either Ryan nor Paetsch. Mike Ryan is an UFA, no one will trade for his rights when they can just wait until July 1 to sign him if they are interested in him.

Paetsch is the 8th defenseman on this roster (9th if Kalinin were healthy), there is no way that anyone is going to want to trade for him. They may be willing to claim him off waivers if he's sent to Ra-cha-where-ever, but nobody is going to want him included in a trade package.

That then makes the trade Max, Hank, and Mustard Man; which is similar to the package I believe is the absolute bare minimum that MIGHT draw interest from Martin.

Archived