[Reality Check] The free spending NY Rangers...

SDS

Added Scott Gomez... Added Mr. Intangibles Chris Drury... plus a bunch of other FA pickups...

2006/2007: 94 points in 82 games

2007/2008: 93 points in 79 games

You know, that is a hell of a lot of money/big name pickups to essentially tread water... Maybe the reason why people say the Stanley Cup is the hardest in sports is because errr..... it isn't easy. Just a thought.

x2 Thumbs up!! So true!

I give the Sabres credit for not wanting to be financially hamstrung for a long time. One thing (and it is a silly sports team too boot) that the area is doing right and people slack them!

Again... Maybe in thiings that actually matter, people can take note!

Go figure!

Added Scott Gomez... Added Mr. Intangibles Chris Drury... plus a bunch of other FA pickups...

You know, that is a hell of a lot of money/big name pickups to essentially tread water... Maybe the reason why people say the Stanley Cup is the hardest in sports is because errr..... it isn't easy. Just a thought.

I'd agree with that.

That said, and I don't know if this is just me, but I think this years Rangers look a lot scarier than last years, regardless of their point total so far.

But maybe it's just because last year I never felt the Rangers were a threat to us in any respect, as opposed to this year?

One one hand I agree with you but on the other I have to disagree although the Rags have spent $$. We won't know if this was a good investment for a few years. Its easy to look at the pts this year and say they were foolish, but next year and the year after will be the determining factor whether they were successful or not.

Id sure like to see how the Sabres would have done, with Avery, shannahan, drury, and gomez

Heck I'd take half that - just one center and one winger if it meant no more Timmy and Max in B&G...

One one hand I agree with you but on the other I have to disagree although the Rags have spent $$. We won't know if this was a good investment for a few years. Its easy to look at the pts this year and say they were foolish, but next year and the year after will be the determining factor whether they were successful or not.

Good point...and they look scarier than a year ago because of their personnel and that they're on a good hot streak now. If you took their recent play (past 3 weeks or so) and spread it out over the season, they might very well be #1 in the East.

I think the expectations for them are very high. If they lose in the first round, it would be a major disappointment to their fans.

Can't say it would break my heart, though. :lol:

Rangers are a fascinating team in so many ways.

Just when you think they are composed of mediocre players they can throw out of

power play of Shanahan-Jagr-Drury-Gomez-Rosival in the final minute.

It really isn't a team that can dominate you in any category - but they can't be taken

for granted anywhere either. A nice mix of veterans and kids.

Lundquist is a stud.

I don't like how they match up against Montreal/Ottawa/Carolina/Washington/Pitt

in any 7 game series.

But they kind of match up very well against NJ/Philly/Boston

I'd also hold my judgement till we see how well they do in the playoffs

Committing 14+ mil a year in cap dollars to two undersized centers(one of who is on the wrong side of 30) was a risky gamble. We'll see how it plays out in the playoffs and in the coming years.

Buffalo Sabres

This Year - After 80 games - 88 points in 10th place

Last Year - After 82 games - 113 points #1 in the league

Whats the point? I don't think Sabres fans have any ground arguing about whats the right and wrong way to build a successful team. Especially with a team that has made the playoffs.

The Rangers may have spent alot of money this year on some big names, but they are spending the same amount as any other team in the league could spend, and as it stands right now, could end up winning a cup before buffalo does.

If they win the Cup this year it was a great investment. It's NYC where money is no object, but titles are.

Buffalo Sabres

This Year - After 80 games - 88 points in 10th place

Last Year - After 82 games - 113 points #1 in the league

Whats the point? I don't think Sabres fans have any ground arguing about whats the right and wrong way to build a successful team. Especially with a team that has made the playoffs.

The Rangers may have spent alot of money this year on some big names, but they are spending the same amount as any other team in the league could spend, and as it stands right now, could end up winning a cup before buffalo does.

NYR haven't clinched yet... The can can get bounced by WAS...

They have 93 right... WAS can get 94.

NYR haven't clinched yet... The can can get bounced by WAS...

They have 93 right... WAS can get 94.

Looking at it quickly it appears that NY needs one point over their final 3 games to clinch, and no help.

The second round for them probably goes through Montreal.

I don't like their chances.

It all comes down to goaltending, though. If Lundy plays like the elite-level superstar many think he is, he can keep NY in the series and you never know what could happen if the interested Jagr shows up.

Montreal a good young team , but I think a more experienced Rangers beats them. Montreal a year away. imo. Truth to close to call if I be a betting man. :)

The second round for them probably goes through Montreal.

I don't like their chances.

It all comes down to goaltending, though. If Lundy plays like the elite-level superstar many think he is, he can keep NY in the series and you never know what could happen if the interested Jagr shows up.

Mostly I don't like the look of the Rangers against the forechecking teams.

But you can probably expect them to leave the windows open at MSG at night so they

can play in 3/8 of an inch of slush.

Montreal a good young team , but I think a more experienced Rangers beats them. Montreal a year away. imo. Truth to close to call if I be a betting man. :)

Montreals biggest weakness could be goaltending, but only because they are playing rookie goalies with no playoff experience (although they both seem to have eyes that are level with each other so they will probably be fine). Also depends on how long Koivu will be out

As for the Rangers being in, Ok, I guess I jumped the gun a little then, it is possible they get bounced, but highly unlikely baring a catastrophic collapse

Those 2 are proven playoff performers I dont they brought them in for what they accomplish during the reg. season but what they bring at crunch time.....Just my opinion

Those 2 are proven playoff performers I dont they brought them in for what they accomplish during the reg. season but what they bring at crunch time.....Just my opinion

That's how I tend to look at it. They have a very experienced lineup for the playoffs.. We'll see as this is where the tire meets the road..

Archived