13-March-08 Their hearts just aren't in it anymore

Doohickie

The Pittsburgh game last night was a low point in my time as a Sabres fan. The WHOLE. FREAKIN. TEAM. was just not skating. They just didn't seem to care. They are playing like they have already been eliminated from the playoffs. Last night was just sad to watch.

When the third period came and they finally scored a few, my reaction was not that they were actually trying to win, but that they were just trying to make the loss look respectable. What are there, 11 more games? Expect something like 1-10-0. I hope I'm wrong but the team just seems to have given up.

I would love for them to blow this whole team up but that's just not feasible and darcy seems to love everyone on the roster. I would start with the defense. Tallinder and Lydman pretty much suck at this point. Let's get the future started now with Sekera and Weber.

Remember last year, when things were still great, and all the announcers, both local and national, were saying "this team is deep, they will be contending for years to come".....

Pretty sad. Even Lindy seems, to me, resigned to this team going out with a wimper...the look on his face after the Brenier goal (it was a goal!) pretty much said it all...

Larry Quin, you deserve a big fat pink slip....it is going to be an interesting off season....

I wouldn't want to be responsible for casting a ray of sunshine through the gathering storm clouds in this thread, but I just don't see the Sabres as the glass half empty.

They have a solid goaltender who has struggled some, but hopefully he'll get his game back together. A couple of off-season moves (a finisher and a couple of Dmen) and I think they'll be in the playoffs next season.

I really like what I've seen from guys like Kaleta and Sekera so far, and another year of seasoning will only help the younger/young-ish guys. This team has a lot of solid hockey players on it - guys who are only going to get better (eg, Roy, Pommer, Paille, Bernier, et al) - methinks it's a mistake to be so quick to write them off.

This team has no leaders. It seems to me that no one is willing to step up and give the rest of the team the slap in the mouth it needs. There's no hustle out there and it's very noticeable. There's an overall lack of effort, heart, and accountability on this team.

Oh well, I tried to be hopeful this season. I tried to give this team support through all the whining of the naysayers, but it appears the Sabres have decided to prove us all wrong.

Time to look forward to the offseason and hopefully some changes will come with it, hopefully we'll see a new team in the fall, that doesn't win every game, but plays with heart no matter what. I don't care if they lose, as long as they look like they want to win. That goes a long way with me.

?We?re playing not to lose, which is defeatist in itself,? said a calm Miller, who had no chance on any of the Penguins? goals. ?It?s never going to work. You can micromanage and analyze it, but it comes down to attitude and what it takes to win a hockey game. Right now we don?t have it.?

?We?re playing not to lose, which is defeatist in itself,? said a calm Miller, who had no chance on any of the Penguins? goals. ?It?s never going to work. You can micromanage and analyze it, but it comes down to attitude and what it takes to win a hockey game. Right now we don?t have it.?

I wish Miller would publicly call out players instead of his blanket statements like this. You gotta figure there's a ton of guys on the team right now he's not happy with. I just wish he'd throw it out there so that we as a public would know who is to blame. Maybe then Darcy could make some better choices based on who's slacking and who is genuinely trying their best.

Remember last year, when things were still great, and all the announcers, both local and national, were saying "this team is deep, they will be contending for years to come".....

Tons of offense will cover a lot of warts, it would appear....

--The D isn't nearly as good as we hoped (or needed it to be)

--Without Briere and Drury, the team is not as deep, talented and consistent enough to run the constant pond-hockey always-attacking style

--Miller has been great at times, shaky at others; and T-Bo has been a major bust, forcing Lindy and co. to lean on Miller heavier than expected

--Too many guys that didn't step up as much as we expected or hoped, whether via growing pains or injuries, like Stafford, Max, Connolly

The first two periods last night were the first time in a long time that I was so disgusted with their play that I actually changed the channel. I checked in a couple times in the third, but I didn't get too excited about them scoring three goals.

I wish Miller would publicly call out players instead of his blanket statements like this. You gotta figure there's a ton of guys on the team right now he's not happy with. I just wish he'd throw it out there so that we as a public would know who is to blame. Maybe then Darcy could make some better choices based on who's slacking and who is genuinely trying their best.

I don't know that Miller wants to be "that guy" that no one will want to play with, and I really don't want to see a "Bickering Sabres" thing develop, but I understand what you're saying.

I guess there's little concern in calling guys out, though - what are they going to do, stop sticking up for him when he gets hit/run? Oops...

Last night was the low point of the season. It's over. At this point I am only hoping that Golisano, Quinn and Darcy are good and embarrassed -- as they should be for having a great team and letting it go to pieces -- and that this fuels a determination to take the necessary steps to get better. Right now, however, I'd say it's 70% likely that they don't make any bold moves and we go into next year with essentially the same team as this year, and we suck again.

(And then, to add insult to injury, the board went down!)

The threads are gonna get boring now..We have no one left on the team to say we need to get rid of anymore..No one left to bash or defend....Got rid of anyone that mattered now we have a watered down gutless with a little bit of talent team.... :D

Last night was absolutely terrible. The power play was one of the worst things I have ever seen, especially considering the Pens had better scoring chances shorthanded than Buffalo did. Last night was just an absolute disaster, and the sad part is, because Philly lost, we're in no different spot in the standings. This team does not deserve to be in the playoffs with the way they played last night. Here's what I'd do this offseason.

1. At the draft, trade Stafford, San Jose's pick, and maybe Paetsch for Jokinen and Florida's second or third round pick. We need something drastic, and we need a second line centerman who can actually play center and win faceoffs and contribute on offense.

2. At the draft, trade a 5th or 6th round pick for Rhett Warrener. We need a tough, defensive defenseman who will not cost much and fits the team's salary structure.

3. If you don't accomplish #1, acquire Daymond Langkow or some other second line centerman

4. Sign John Michael Liles. Hey, even Eklund thinks it's possible, so obviously that means Philly will be signing Liles.

5. Sign Miller to 6 years $38-$40 million.

That's what I think. I'm looking forward to 2008-2009 because we can throw this season away if they are going to play the rest of the season like they did last night. What an absolute disgrace.

Question for those who watched the game as I missed it. When Laraque laid out Patches with the elbow to the head, did anybody go after Laraque, or did all of the Sabres who were on the ice just kind of look at each other like they normally do?

Nope, no one went after Laraque. Miller went straight to Paetsch and immediately called for the trainer. Since Peters was suspended who would have gone after Laraque? Certainly not anyone on this team. They're too afraid to play the body in the defensive zone let a lone go after the toughest SOB in the NHL. You kidding?

Question for those who watched the game as I missed it. When Laraque laid out Patches with the elbow to the head, did anybody go after Laraque, or did all of the Sabres who were on the ice just kind of look at each other like they normally do?

What do you think, Ray?

This team has no leaders. It seems to me that no one is willing to step up and give the rest of the team the slap in the mouth it needs. There's no hustle out there and it's very noticeable. There's an overall lack of effort, heart, and accountability on this team.

Oh well, I tried to be hopeful this season. I tried to give this team support through all the whining of the naysayers, but it appears the Sabres have decided to prove us all wrong.

Time to look forward to the offseason and hopefully some changes will come with it, hopefully we'll see a new team in the fall, that doesn't win every game, but plays with heart no matter what. I don't care if they lose, as long as they look like they want to win. That goes a long way with me.

The team had no leaders last year either... Just two C's on player's chests... Sure they scored and helped the team, but the problem has been sysytemic for sometime.

A true leader doesn't bolt on their men.

Clearly nowbody on the roster can thump Laraque, but at least you could skate over and get him in a bear hug until the refs came over. Something to show you give a #%^$#! and aren't a total candy ass.

Miller is the only man on this team with a sack. Peters is just a fighter and nothing else. Gaustad, Mair, Kaleta just don't go after guys like they should for being the "physical players" on the team. Buffalo needs some players that actually have to wear jockstraps. Look at these veterans like Shanny and Chelios that still go after guys when they deserve it. What's Chelios, 42/43 now, and he has played that style his whole career. He's injured now, but I'm just sayin. How about a Pronger or Blake type on defense? Players that aren't afraid of their own shadows.

The team had no leaders last year either... Just two C's on player's chests... Sure they scored and helped the team, but the problem has been sysytemic for sometime.

A true leader doesn't bolt on their men.

If we're talking wars, sure. Otherwise, meh. I think it's awfully hard to expect someone to wait by the phone/fax until you get around to sending them the paperwork to sign, or to wait for the team to realize that even though they really wanted the other guy, they might lose him and then try to sign you, AND THEN leave a ton of $$$ on the table.

If we're talking wars, sure. Otherwise, meh. I think it's awfully hard to expect someone to wait by the phone/fax until you get around to sending them the paperwork to sign, or to wait for the team to realize that even though they really wanted the other guy, they might lose him and then try to sign you, AND THEN leave a ton of $$$ on the table.

There is no point in arguing this point with EII...

Archived