The NHL Scoring System

Corp000085

Isn't this the point where a mod posts something snarky about using the search function?

There's more. Have to dig them out of SDS' attic.

My initial post which I altered was going to read "(i)s it already that time of year again?" but then I saw we'd just had this same discussion last month ...

Five years ago, two months ago too. It's good to revisit at least once every few months. :flirt:

There's more. Have to dig them out of SDS' attic.

Five years ago, two months ago too. It's good to revisit at least once every few months. :flirt:

I know you've missed at least one more and probably more like 4 more. Maybe they were all lost in the 'Great Crash.' :(

They will never change it. The current systems tightens the standings and leads to more races. More races = more tickets sold = more money

Maybe the NHL should think about having the following?

Regulation: 2pts win, 1 pt loss

OT: 2 pts win, 1.5 pts loss

SO: 2 pts win, 1.5 pts loss

Maybe the NHL should think about having the following?

Regulation: 2pts win, 1 pt loss

OT: 2 pts win, 1.5 pts loss

SO: 2 pts win, 1.5 pts loss

I want a point awarded for every single period won. If you tie the period, 0.5 point to each team. Then you throw in an additional 2 points for the final score, 1 point each if tied. So now we'd have a system with 6 points available per game. People would have an incredibly easy time keeping track of this. :D

I want a point awarded for every single period won. If you tie the period, 0.5 point to each team. Then you throw in an additional 2 points for the final score, 1 point each if tied. So now we'd have a system with 6 points available per game. People would have an incredibly easy time keeping track of this. :D

Add an additional point for the team with the fewest penalties. Or the most.

It really isn't the point for losing that is the problem though. Like I said earlier, the bonus point actually goes to the winner of the shootout. Those games are ties with an extra point handed out to the winner of a glorified home run derby.

Rather than a shootout after the first overtime, there should be a 5 min 2nd overtime/sudden death with no goalies and a pond hockey wood goal box.

I'm not in the mood to read the entirety of this thread...but why not go with the simplest solution--what the NFL does. If a team wins they win, if they lose they lose, and if after OT is over there is no winner, then it's a tie. There's probably some history and reasoning that I'm totally ignorant on, but why does there need to be a point system in the first place? Is going by record like every other major sport somehow insufficient? If the NHL is trying to grow the game in America, I'd imagine converting to a system that every other sport uses for determining the standings could only be a positive thing.

3 points for a regulation win 2 for a ot win with a loser point 1 point only to the winner of a SO

I maintian that any solution that includes "losing in OT == losing points" is going to have teams playing hot puck-tato dumping the puck out of their own end and stacking 5 guys on the blue line.

I maintian that any solution that includes "losing in OT == losing points" is going to have teams playing hot puck-tato dumping the puck out of their own end and stacking 5 guys on the blue line.

Eliminate the Shootout altogether and score it like soccer. I think you'd see a lot more teams going for the 3 point win rather than the 1 point tie.

If you want to keep the shootout, make a OT/Regulation win worth 4, A Shoot out win worth 3, and a OT loss worth 1, and a Shootout (or regulation) loss worth 0. In other words, it's better to try in the OT, because you might walk away from the shootout with nothing.

I like the idea of a bonus but used slightly differently. In my system all wins would be automatically 2 points. However, a third "bonus" point would be available to both teams. In a one goal game the loser would recieve it, and in any two goal or more game the winner would receive a third point. This would restore symmetry to the point system, as all games would be "3 point" games, and encourage offense throughout the game.

my problem with just going by wins is I think it will just be a borefest from halfway thru the 3rd like it use to be. I say reward going for the win hence the points format I said earlier. Coaches will be wieghting going for the 3rd point in regulation against getting 2 in ot. once ot starts you get the incentive to win there by getting 2 point and no reason to sit back as you get a point if you lose there. If you really want to devalue the shootout (which I am ok with having it) take away the loser point and to further devalue it the winner only gets 1 point for a "skill competition". Yes it is more complex then saying whoever has more wins. But I think it would make most coaches go for the win rather then sit back and wait it out

I like the idea of a bonus but used slightly differently. In my system all wins would be automatically 2 points. However, a third "bonus" point would be available to both teams. In a one goal game the loser would recieve it, and in any two goal or more game the winner would receive a third point. This would restore symmetry to the point system, as all games would be "3 point" games, and encourage offense throughout the game.

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

It kind of reminds me Of my joke proposal of giving a point for each period. That encourages scoring too. We can turn hockey into a stroke play match on the links.

The only thing missing from your proposal was giving a 1/2 point for a shutout. You hit that and you've got youth hockey tournaments on steriods.

And you still have the Loafs struggling to reach 90 points in any given year.

Archived