GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

I don't think it had anything to do with the effort. The Sabres struggle with the trap. The Avs sat on that lead once they got it. It's very difficult to generate offense against a 1-4.

You know what beats the trap.....speed. I didn't much speed out there tonight. The guys looked like they came in from the west and played last night. It was a pitiful performance. Can't use "the trap" as an excuse. How long has it been around?

Can't win em all, but should be able to beat teams that are probably not going to make the playoffs.

I don't think it had anything to do with the effort. The Sabres struggle with the trap. The Avs sat on that lead once they got it. It's very difficult to generate offense against a 1-4.

Didn't have anything to do? What game were you watching? Two of Colorado's three goals were scored due to Buffalo skaters lollygagging around. That play where Miller was caught out of position never would have happened if the defensemen didn't either snooze their way to the puck, only to get beat, or leave a wide open Avs skater right in front of the net. This had EVERYTHING to do with effort.

spacek can't get back soon enough! Teppo looks rough. I really hate to say it, but these past few games have made a case that he's just lost "it". Anyhow, that was a good period, except for that PP.

Not to keep piling on Teppo here, and he certainly wasn't the only reason for the loss, but tonight was a night that he looked old, slow and completely out of sync with every other Sabre. He was on the ice for all three Colorado goals, had trouble keeping the puck in the offensive end, and was responsible for the icing at the end of the game. I hope Spacek comes back soon, because Teppo looks like he needs a night or two off...I definitely think he shouldn't be getting the most ice time of the defensemen - 20:20 tonight...

Random thoughts:

Can't wait for Lindy's presser - we'll see if the boss thinks the team's effort was OK tonight, and what he thinks the team needs to correct for Friday...

Anyone else wish Peters was in the lineup tonight to take out the Avs' resident psycho? I was praying that Mair wouldn't have to throw with Parker...

I though Zubrus was starting to look a little more comfortable, but I think he is pressing a little - I am sure he wants to prove to the Sabres and the fans that trading for him was a good move...

Conklin or Miller Friday? Not an indictment of Miller's play, but I think this might be a good time to give Conklin his first Sabre start...

because Teppo looks like he needs a night or two off...

No excuse. He just had 3 nights off and should have played a little better tonight, just like the rest of the team. Maybe he has a slight touch of the flu, hopefully that's what the problem was tonight.

Conklin or Miller Friday? Not an indictment of Miller's play, but I think this might be a good time to give Conklin his first Sabre start...

I think Conker should start Friday and Ryan should be in goal against the Devils, seeing how that game is much more important.

I'm not making an excuse for Teppo, personally I think the Sabres overpaid to bring him back, and tonight was another in a handful of games this year where Teppo has been noticeably slower, made poor plays with the puck and has almost been a liability rather than an asset.

Personally, I don't know what to think. IMO, he was easily the Sabres' worst defenseman tonight, yet Lindy had him on the ice more than any other Sabre. I can't imagine he would have done that if Teppo was playing with the flu or whatever...

That game was ridiculous- losing to a team with 63 points. What was up with no shots in the last 8 minutes.

Not sure what you are refering to? The Avs are no slouch and are battling for thier life as not to drop out of the playoff race! They have 71 pts... and Tonight they just made it 73:

9 COLORADO 67 33 29 5 71 220 211 18-14-3 15-15-2 5-4-1

Still have a winning record too!

BFLO is still 7-2-1 for their last 10! And with all the rookies!

:doh: :doh:

That game was ridiculous- losing to a team with 63 points. What was up with no shots in the last 8 minutes.

Lol, do you think the Sabres are going to win every game the rest of the season? They lost to a hot Avalanche club that is trying to claw their way in. It's not like they laid down and lost by 5 goals....get a grip.

I'm not making an excuse for Teppo, personally I think the Sabres overpaid to bring him back, and tonight was another in a handful of games this year where Teppo has been noticeably slower, made poor plays with the puck and has almost been a liability rather than an asset.

Personally, I don't know what to think. IMO, he was easily the Sabres' worst defenseman tonight, yet Lindy had him on the ice more than any other Sabre. I can't imagine he would have done that if Teppo was playing with the flu or whatever...

Cough, cough, Kalinin.

Both were stiffs tonight. Thing is, everyone looked pretty bad for most of the game save for Paetsch and one of the lines. The other 3 blue liners made their share of good and bad plays.

Now, if the Sabres lose in regulation to the Wild on Friday night in BFLO... That will be more frustrating, IMO...

Minny is horrendous on the road and great (tied for third in the league) at home... And they are only 6 ahead of the Avs in the number 8 hole of the Western Conference!

We... Shall see!!!

Lol, do you think the Sabres are going to win every game the rest of the season? They lost to a hot Avalanche club that is trying to claw their way in. It's not like they laid down and lost by 5 goals....get a grip.

So true RF!

As much as I wanted this game... I figured the Sabres would be in for a let down game... Not trying to be a Cassandra... But, I am kinda expecting the Sabres to be shut out soon for the first time this season!... You know it is coming! :death: :o :angry: :o :death:

Every time they give an effort like this... I say... Whewwww! They dodged that one!

Now, if the Sabres lose in regulation to the Wild on Friday night in BFLO... That will be more frustrating, IMO...

Minny is horrendous on the road and great (tied for third in the league) at home... And they are only 6 ahead of the Avs in the number 8 hole of the Western Conference!

We... Shall see!!!

So true RF!

As much as I wanted this game... I figured the Sabres would be in for a let down game... Not trying to be a Cassandra... But, I am kinda expecting the Sabres to be shut out soon for the first time this season!... You know it is coming! :death: :o :angry: :o :death:

Every time they give an effort like this... I say... Whewwww! They dodged that one!

Why do you say this? How could this possibly be a let down game? They got their captain back tonight and should have been fired up.

This is the highest scoring team, by far, in the league and they just had 3 nights off. If they are going to be sluggish I would think it would be towards the end of a 3 in 4 game night series. I see no shutouts coming this year. This team is too talented and they should be getting healthier, although getting Dru back tonight didn't seem to spark the team at all. Tonight was extremely dissapointing. NJ was the only game I was worried about this week. Now, after tonight, I hope we get at least 2 points in these 3 games. This was one of the worst games this team has played all year. Colorado is not that good.

You know what beats the trap.....speed. I didn't much speed out there tonight. The guys looked like they came in from the west and played last night. It was a pitiful performance. Can't use "the trap" as an excuse. How long has it been around?

Actually, the Sabres can beat the trap by changing their game up a little. Especially a trap like the Avs were playing tonight. Speed is great, but when the other team stacks the blue line up, it doesn't matter. You beat that system by getting a good dump and an aggressive forecheck. This team hasn't been all that great dumping the puck in this year.

Why do you say this? How could this possibly be a let down game? They got their captain back tonight and should have been fired up.

This is the highest scoring team, by far, in the league and they just had 3 nights off. If they are going to be sluggish I would think it would be towards the end of a 3 in 4 game night series. I see no shutouts coming this year. This team is too talented and they should be getting healthier, although getting Dru back tonight didn't seem to spark the team at all. Tonight was extremely dissapointing. NJ was the only game I was worried about this week. Now, after tonight, I hope we get at least 2 points in these 3 games. This was one of the worst games this team has played all year. Colorado is not that good.

Flat???

You make good points Rayz... Maybe instead of being fired up, they got complacent with Chris back... Then the early goal... The tempo was set for a let down... Especially with the Av shortie... Suddenly the Sabres were in a dogfight...

Who knows???

Drury was back and this was the first game with DZ... Maybe just out of sync and complacent is all it was... Still only a one goal game... The shortie hurt big time!

I am not to disturbed... IF IT DOESN'T BLEED to the next game!

Hey fans, don't take that loss so hard. It's impossible to win every game and always there are some games that nothing going right.... Let's forget it and look forward. And don't make such a big pressure to Zubrus. Let him play his way and he will do it right. In my opinion Afinogenov-Drury-Zubrus line would make it big,because Max and Zubie have chemistry,even if they didn't played in Buf yet, and Drury will of course can be between them

I wonder if Kaleta could make a case to replace Andrew Peters someday. (Of course, DeLuca would probably be happy with that! :D )

He's not a fighter. He'll drop 'em, but he is a hitter. An extremely poor man's Michael Peca if you will.

I'm still looking for Zubrus to get up to speed. Even he's admitted that he didn't know that the Sabres were that fast.

He looks completely lost out there. Hopefully, sometime in the next 4 weeks he'll figure it out.

Is it me, or does it seem like an awful lotta goals go in off kalinin? Dmitri is the most frustrating player on the team. It seems he's often in the wrong place at the wrong time.

You're new here, and yes, Kalinin has been our whipping boy this year. I do think he's playing better of late, though.

You beat that system by getting a good dump and an aggressive forecheck. This team hasn't been all that great dumping the puck in this year.

Ummm, how 'bout ever?

Game thoughts...

-Vanek, Stafford & Roy were invisible except for a couple of chances Vanek had on the PP in the 3rd period. Ditto for the Drury line.

-It's only been 3 games, but I haven't noticed Zubrus in a positive way at all.

-Maybe all the injuries are just catching up to the Sabres?

-The Sabres lack of offense for the first 10 minutes or so of the 2nd & 3rd periods was some of the most boring hockey I've seen all year. If the Sabres don't learn how to battle harder when playing a close checking(trapping) team, the playoff exit will be quick.

-I hope Kaleta didn't say to Laperierre "let's go" and then did nothing when he drops his gloves. That is just something you just don't do in the NHL. It was very strange how he dropped his gloves.

The Sabres better be ready to go because the Minnesota & NJ games will be as tough in nottougher than the Colorado game.

GO SABRES!!!!

-The Sabres lack of offense for the first 10 minutes or so of the 2nd & 3rd periods was some of the most boring hockey I've seen all year. !

Bruins - Avs on Tues. was a real snoozer.

Trap hockey.

One thing you have to give the Colorodo D credit for is that they really tie up the sticks.

But posting a d-man at the top of the goal crease the whole game- the Sabres should have

just shot at his shins all night rather than making the extra pass.

The most frustrating moment in last night's game had to be the AV's short handed goal. You guys with TiVo can confirm this. There were at least 3 Sabres + Miller in Defense of 2 Avs. Stastny (a rookie) goes behind the net and fires the pass to the front where Hejduk is just waiting for it while the four Sabres in defense of the goal get stoned..

How the heck does that happen? Those Sabres didn't work hard enough on that particular play.

Archived