GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

The short-handed goal was really bad. The deflection off of Kalinin's skate was unfortunate. But what if he wasn't there? What if the pass went through and the Av player put it in? Then everyone would be killing Kalinin for being out of position.

The Sabres scored 2 goals on 21 shots. Herein lies the problem. Everyone around here has all but assumed the Sabres are going to give up 3 goals a game but score at least 4. Didn't happen last night. Blame the offense and credit the Av's defense. Max could have made a difference last night -- Campbell's deep runs with the puck late in the third period showed that they could penetrate and create scoring opportunities. Max would have created a lot more chances. If we face the Avs in the Cup finals I think we'll have the horses by then to break the trap.

We lost a game to a desparate team that actually played like they wanted to be in the playoffs (ahem, Leafs, Canadiens). Life goes on. Guys are starting to get healthy again. We've got a couple weeks of shaking off the rust and getting back in sync with the starters. Have to resettle lines. Zubrus is in a different world right now but should be fine for the playoffs. If I'm worried about anything right now, it's that the top 4 in the East look damn tough right now (TB, ATL, NJ, BUF). This year's cup run makes last year's look like a walk in the park.

The short-handed goal was really bad. The deflection off of Kalinin's skate was unfortunate. But what if he wasn't there? What if the pass went through and the Av player put it in? Then everyone would be killing Kalinin for being out of position.

The Sabres scored 2 goals on 21 shots. Herein lies the problem. Everyone around here has all but assumed the Sabres are going to give up 3 goals a game but score at least 4. Didn't happen last night. Blame the offense and credit the Av's defense. Max could have made a difference last night -- Campbell's deep runs with the puck late in the third period showed that they could penetrate and create scoring opportunities. Max would have created a lot more chances. If we face the Avs in the Cup finals I think we'll have the horses by then to break the trap.

We lost a game to a desparate team that actually played like they wanted to be in the playoffs (ahem, Leafs, Canadiens). Life goes on. Guys are starting to get healthy again. We've got a couple weeks of shaking off the rust and getting back in sync with the starters. Have to resettle lines. Zubrus is in a different world right now but should be fine for the playoffs. If I'm worried about anything right now, it's that the top 4 in the East look damn tough right now (TB, ATL, NJ, BUF). This year's cup run makes last year's look like a walk in the park.

I disagree that Max would have been the difference. He is one of the most frustrating players to watch when the other team is trapping. He always tries to skate it in, and ends up either losing the puck or causing a teammate to go offsides. With his speed he should cross go through the neutral zone at full speed, dump it in soft and go recover it himself.

You forgot about the part where Max tries to skate it in and then leaves a blind drop pass at the line, which turns into an odd-man rush the other way... :wallbash:

Archived