Will Biron succeed in Philly?

IKnowPhysics

i say no. its philly... and face it, marty's a so-so starter. He'll be great in stretches, but he'll be awful for stretches. Remember, the sabres were probably WORSE than the flyers from 2001-2003 and marty was just so-so. I honestly think marty will hate it. After all, its friggin Philadelphia. I could see him lighting it up and going to a winner next year as an UFA, like the red wings? hasek can't possibly come back again next year... Heck, i wouldn't even rule out a return to buffalo for a fair contract. The future is bright for marty, but he won't succeed in philly as much as he's succeeded in buffalo.

He'll do exactly as well as he did the last time he was a starter with a poor team in front of him; the Flyers will finish somewhere between ninth and twelfth every year.

With a good team in front of him, though, Marty wins games.

Marty might play well in philly but not till next season. Basicly he still has to fight for his job. They have nittimakie (sp) and a kid in the AHL that has started games this year. Also Philly doesn't like someone who runs his mouth (good or bad). The fans will turn on him once he loses 3 games in a row. I like marty wish him well but I wish it was some place other than philly.

I said it before, and I'll say it again. Marty got a raw deal with no upside. He's went from first to last. He went to a team that sold off their talent. He is an UFA on a team with 3 other goalies. He'll have to compete for the starting job and will play behind a lousy team. Not the best way to improve your market value in FA.

I would think with the goalies already there that he could end up in a similar situation as he did here. I going to bet that he'll go to a team in the off-season to be the undisputed no. 1 guy. But, it might be with a crappy team. He could come out West. I don't LA has crap for goalies. They got Burke and Garon. So there are places he could go.

i say no. its philly... and face it, marty's a so-so starter. He'll be great in stretches, but he'll be awful for stretches. Remember, the sabres were probably WORSE than the flyers from 2001-2003 and marty was just so-so. I honestly think marty will hate it. After all, its friggin Philadelphia. I could see him lighting it up and going to a winner next year as an UFA, like the red wings? hasek can't possibly come back again next year... Heck, i wouldn't even rule out a return to buffalo for a fair contract. The future is bright for marty, but he won't succeed in philly as much as he's succeeded in buffalo.

for us much as Sabres fans hate Philly, I believe they are known as a great organization throughout the NHL. Michael Hanzeus proclaimed as much to my friend while in Chicago.

Don't lose the fact that the Flyers we've loved to hate all these years are no longer. Clarke isn't in power, and Luce is putting his footprint on the team. I see them improving in fairly short order.

Best of luck to Marty. Will definitely miss him. Getting a nice draft pick for him is a good trade.

That said, I think he'll do well there on a team that should be better next year.

i agree with rock...i'm losing my desire to loathe the phlyers in the past couple of weeks. cutting the high paid vets in favor of high talent upsided youth, snagging one of my favorite sabres in marty, and as the articles say...reloading as opposed to rebuilding.

my question is (and it's probably a dumb one), if the sabres win the prize, would marty be eligible to have his name inscribed on the stanley cup? i forgot what the games played criteria is.

Damn... just found out about Marty during the intermission talk (I just got home). I feel like I just lost my left nut (my favorite one, too!)

Marty, I wish it hadn't come to this. And I also hope you end up in the blue & gold again somehow, some day.

Godspeed, Marty, we love ya. Do your best; I hope you are part of Flyers turnaround.

i agree with rock...i'm losing my desire to loathe the phlyers in the past couple of weeks. cutting the high paid vets in favor of high talent upsided youth, snagging one of my favorite sabres in marty, and as the articles say...reloading as opposed to rebuilding.

my question is (and it's probably a dumb one), if the sabres win the prize, would marty be eligible to have his name inscribed on the stanley cup? i forgot what the games played criteria is.

No, he would not get his name inscribed on the Stanley Cup if the Sabres win. The 1st criterion for getting your name on the Stanley Cup is being part of the organization that wins it. Marty is no longer a component of the Sabres.

Sounds like they will try to resign him. Esche is out after this year, Leighton is already out. Unless, the Flyers go after someone from ANA or SJ in the summer, Marty should have a good chance of starting over Niitymaki.

If there's even a hint of Nitty starting next year, Biron will not re-sign with Filly.

Don't lose the fact that the Flyers we've loved to hate all these years are no longer. Clarke isn't in power, and Luce is putting his footprint on the team. I see them improving in fairly short order.

No matter what changes, they will always be the Flyers. The media and the fans will always hype them up as being a big, tough team that is all about the physical game. I even heard a reference just the other night when they were playing. I couldn't believe that they compared one shift on the ice to the team from the 1970s.

It's not fair to the organization or the players, but because of the fans and the media I will never like the team. Every time I hear "Broad Stree Bullies" my insides twist in knots and I want to burn everything orange in my house. That will never go away.

Whew, felt good to get that out :w00t:

As for Marty, I hope that he strikes a deal in the off season with another team. Seeing him in orange and black makes me cry. :wallbash:

Archived