Are you kidding me?

SyrSabreFan61

There aren't any "lame arguments" for Zubrus vs Novotny... one has been productive, one has not. Zubrus is definitely an upgrade from Novotny - oh, and he's not hurt either.

Biron, although I hate that he's gone, we all knew it was coming someday. Better sooner than later, considering we were able to pick up some prospects and still get an affordable backup.

I'm angry that you're angry.

I'm happy that Eklund has to go back to cleaning toilets.

I'm angry that Orange Seats won't answer my phone calls.

I'm angry that PA won't acknowledge the fact that I went to a game 6 years ago in his this day in sabres history threads.

:censored:

Let me get this straight, you angry because we gave up:

A backup goal-tender

An injured, rookie forward with 13 points

A 4th Rd Draft Pick

To get:

A healthy, 50+ point top six forward

A backup goal-tender

A 8th defenseman

A 9th defenseman

Salary cap relief

Seems like an improvement to me.

And Berard would have made a huge difference? The guy has only played 10 games all year and less than 50 in two seasons. I like all the moves we made, Zubrus will be a big help on the powerplay and Lindy will put him to work. Novotny was nothing great and IMO will never be more than a 3rd liner. I am satisfied with the moves, but don't expect Conklin to be the backup next year. I think if we can get an upgrade in the offseason, we will. Mike Noronen anyone?

Let me get this straight, you angry because we gave up:

A backup goal-tender

An injured, rookie forward with 13 points

A 4th Rd Draft Pick

To get:

A healthy, 50+ point top six forward

A backup goal-tender

A 8th defenseman

A 9th defenseman

Salary cap relief

Seems like an improvement to me.

Karl Rove couldn't have spun it better, Wraith. What if you write it with names, like this:

We gave up: Martin Biron, Jiri Novotny, a first round pick (if NHL.com's chart is correct), and a fifth round pick;

We got: Dainius Zubrus, Ty Conklin, two guys who really are no-names, and a second round pick.

Doesn't quite look the same now, at least to me.

I'm not happy with the moves. I've never seen Zubrus as an impact player; I know he has 20+G this year, but that's in DC. He's not going to average 18+ mins of ice time in Buffalo (or is he?).

Eh, I've been wrong before. Hopefully I'm wrong again.

C'mon Dainius!

Karl Rove couldn't have spun it better, Wraith. What if you write it with names, like this:

We gave up: Martin Biron, Jiri Novotny, a first round pick (if NHL.com's chart is correct), and a fifth round pick;

We got: Dainius Zubrus, Ty Conklin, two guys who really are no-names, and a second round pick.

I'm not happy with the moves. I've never seen Zubrus as an impact player; I know he has 20+G this year, but that's in DC. He's not going to average 18+ mins of ice time in Buffalo (or is he?).

C'mon Dainius!

Would you consider Novotny a no-name also? Sorry, Biron is not as good as most people think and he was gone next year anyway. Zubrus is a good player with speed and size.

C'mon Dainius!

If the season ended today, giving up that 1st rounder and getting the 2nd rounder moves the Sabres exactly 2 slots lower in the draft. (And after the Sabres win tonight, it's a drop of 1 slot.)

This team, that had to play it's 10th defenseman in last year's playoffs, had AHL rookies as their number 8 & 9 D-men this morning.

Also, as has been mentioned in other threads, with Paille being injured the Sabres didn't have the salary cap space to activate Connolly when he's ready when the day began. They now can activate him when he's ready.

So, I see it as Marty and Novotny for Zubrus, Conklin, and cap space (aka Connolly); and a 5th (and a 4th?) for a couple of depth defensemen. Fair trades on both counts, neither of which mortgages the team's future.

We get Philly's 2nd round pick. The worst team in the league, which means we only drop one spot after claiming the Cup.

How many more games was Biron going to play in a Sabres uniform? Zero after March.

So basically we traded Novotny and 5th rounder for Zubrus, a back-up goalie and 2 extra defensemen.

I think it was a solid deal.

wasnt Daniel B and Chris Dru not so great players on their teams before they came to buffalo? i know they werent the stars of their teamsm their our stars tho. Zubris looks to be the next them if you ask me.

i cant believe some one is whining over moves the team has made :doh:

If the season ended today, giving up that 1st rounder and getting the 2nd rounder moves the Sabres exactly 2 slots lower in the draft. (And after the Sabres win tonight, it's a drop of 1 slot.)

This team, that had to play it's 10th defenseman in last year's playoffs, had AHL rookies as their number 8 & 9 D-men this morning.

Also, as has been mentioned in other threads, with Paille being injured the Sabres didn't have the salary cap space to activate Connolly when he's ready when the day began. They now can activate him when he's ready.

So, I see it as Marty and Novotny for Zubrus, Conklin, and cap space (aka Connolly); and a 5th (and a 4th?) for a couple of depth defensemen. Fair trades on both counts, neither of which mortgages the team's future.

And that really is the key. We improved and did not give up the farm to do so. I'm gonna miss Marty, but with all the injuries, he was luxery we could not afford. Conklin has playoff experience in case we need him for a game or two. All in all not a bad day for the Blue and Gold. Go Sabres!!! :thumbsup:

Let's walk carefully through this. We made 4 trades today. We gained 5 players/picks and lost 5 players/picks.

Last year, we probably missed the Stanley Cup because of D-men injuries. So this year our GM exchanged:

1. Our 5th rounder for Helbling...a promising #9 D-man

2. Our 4th rounder for Lehtonen...a promising #8 D-man

Reasonable so far, right? Next, with the assumption that the Flyers finish dead last and the Sabres finish the season like we all hope, we exchanged:

3. Our 1st rounder (maybe a #30 pick?) for the Flyers' 2nd rounder (#31 overall pick).

No big loss there, eh? And don't forget that the NHL draft is a ridiculous crap shoot, probably more so than the NFL draft. So worrying about such minute positioning can become meaningless. Next, we made the following forward exchange:

4. Novotny for Zubrus

Both players have similar playing skills, but Zubrus brings with him more size and physicality, as well as far more experience and production at the pro level. Novotny may never become anything more than a mediocre center, and our Sabres are already overloaded with young center and forward talent.

Finally, we have the goalie exchange:

5. Biron for Conklin.

Now I won't even attempt to make an argument that we're better off here. But do keep in mind that getting rid of our soon-to-be-UFA Biron freed the cap space for us to activate Connolly. Also, with 20 regular season games left, you'd expect the backup goalie to only play about 5 more games in the regular season and 0 in the playoffs. And if Miller were to go down to injury, I wasn't impressed enough with Biron this season to think he could carrry this team to the Stanley Cup (even though Conklin almost certainly can't either). One more thing: Conklin went undrafted, but he did have an awesome college career and has since posted average but still respectable pro career numbers.

Thoughts???

I'm angry that you're angry.

I'm happy that Eklund has to go back to cleaning toilets.

I'm angry that Orange Seats won't answer my phone calls.

I'm angry that PA won't acknowledge the fact that I went to a game 6 years ago in his this day in sabres history threads.

:censored:

Have you actually been trying to call me?

Archived