A 4th Rd Draft Pick

To get:

A healthy, 50+ point top six forward

A backup goal-tender

A 8th defenseman

A 9th defenseman

Salary cap relief

Seems like an improvement to me.

finally someone who sees the light!! this may be a but late, since i had class, but these people that are complaining dont seem to realize that to get anything for biron is a plus since we wont have him next year, we upgraded a roster player (whos healthy) from a less productive player (whos injured, has less experience, and granted young). we got a cheap capable goalie and improved depth at defense with two d-men that can make the amerks happy too! we probably moved back one position from our first to phillys second (if everything works out the way it could) and improved now without giving up a ton of the future. also we got quite a bit of cap room that will help us manuever much easier, and possibly aid in signing all of our big FA this offseason.

all in all - good job darcy :thumbsup:

thats my rant...

i cant believe some one is whining over moves the team has made
Exactly! We had a situation where a player was basically going to walk away at season's end w/o any compensation. We get a high draft pick and make a very affordable aquisition of an EXPERIENCED player to help out with all the injuries. With what we had to work with, I think the deals made were inline with budgetary constraints. We're making a run at the CUP, that's all we can ask for.

GO SABRES.

Let's walk carefully through this. We made 4 trades today. We gained 5 players/picks and lost 5 players/picks.

Last year, we probably missed the Stanley Cup because of D-men injuries. So this year our GM exchanged:

1. Our 5th rounder for Helbling...a promising #9 D-man

2. Our 4th rounder for Lehtonen...a promising #8 D-man

Reasonable so far, right? Next, with the assumption that the Flyers finish dead last and the Sabres finish the season like we all hope, we exchanged:

3. Our 1st rounder (maybe a #30 pick?) for the Flyers' 2nd rounder (#31 overall pick).

No big loss there, eh? And don't forget that the NHL draft is a ridiculous crap shoot, probably more so than the NFL draft. So worrying about such minute positioning can become meaningless. Next, we made the following forward exchange:

4. Novotny for Zubrus

Both players have similar playing skills, but Zubrus brings with him more size and physicality, as well as far more experience and production at the pro level. Novotny may never become anything more than a mediocre center, and our Sabres are already overloaded with young center and forward talent.

Finally, we have the goalie exchange:

5. Biron for Conklin.

Now I won't even attempt to make an argument that we're better off here. But do keep in mind that getting rid of our soon-to-be-UFA Biron freed the cap space for us to activate Connolly. Also, with 20 regular season games left, you'd expect the backup goalie to only play about 5 more games in the regular season and 0 in the playoffs. And if Miller were to go down to injury, I wasn't impressed enough with Biron this season to think he could carrry this team to the Stanley Cup (even though Conklin almost certainly can't either). One more thing: Conklin went undrafted, but he did have an awesome college career and has since posted average but still respectable pro career numbers.

Thoughts???

Great post! :thumbsup:

Archived