And the Sabres' trade deadline pick-up is...

Lights-Out_Larry_Playfair

Tim Connolly.

After what Reiger said today on WGR about "dollar for dollar" trade, I don't think that the Sabres are gonna be able to make a trade of any significance before the deadline.

It sounds like they want to go to the playoffs with a capable backup goalie, so a trade involving Biron would have to involve a player Reiger thinks can help this team (a 4th defenseman-type or toughness on the wing) and a reasonable netminder who can help in a pinch- with combined salaries equal to or less than Marty's. I'm not confident that deal is out there and there isn't a goalie they can count on in Rochester (Denis let in six goals the other night...in the second period.) So, why even bother trading Marty if you don't get someone in return that can help the club?

They might move Kotalik, but I don't think many clubs are drooling over him- what can you get for a guy that is a minus 1 on the highest scoring team in the league? And you can't trade any of the defensemen (unless you get two in return) because of the group's injury history and the physical nature of playoff hockey.

I think Ruff and Darcy are convinced Tim is gonna be ready come April. Although the stress fracture is a set back, he's been medically cleared from the concussion and I can't see him needing more than a month to get his timing and strength back. Management spent all the coin they could in the offseason, and they like what they got.

Go Sabres!

I've wanted to post for some time that I didn't think the Sabres would, or could, make a move this year. Regier's statements seem to back that up. I think they go to the prom with their original date and hope to get lucky.

I think we might consider trading Max. He would free up cap space and might net us a valuable rugged forawrd who can score. A vet who has been there before, maybe. Max did not exactly tear it up in the playoffs, but a team out there might see him as a seat filler. Just a thought

I think we might consider trading Max. He would free up cap space and might net us a valuable rugged forawrd who can score. A vet who has been there before, maybe. Max did not exactly tear it up in the playoffs, but a team out there might see him as a seat filler. Just a thought

I see what you're getting at, but there's no way they'll deal Max.

Tim Connolly.

After what Reiger said today on WGR about "dollar for dollar" trade, I don't think that the Sabres are gonna be able to make a trade of any significance before the deadline.

It sounds like they want to go to the playoffs with a capable backup goalie, so a trade involving Biron would have to involve a player Reiger thinks can help this team (a 4th defenseman-type or toughness on the wing) and a reasonable netminder who can help in a pinch- with combined salaries equal to or less than Marty's. I'm not confident that deal is out there and there isn't a goalie they can count on in Rochester (Denis let in six goals the other night...in the second period.) So, why even bother trading Marty if you don't get someone in return that can help the club?

They might move Kotalik, but I don't think many clubs are drooling over him- what can you get for a guy that is a minus 1 on the highest scoring team in the league? And you can't trade any of the defensemen (unless you get two in return) because of the group's injury history and the physical nature of playoff hockey.

I think Ruff and Darcy are convinced Tim is gonna be ready come April. Although the stress fracture is a set back, he's been medically cleared from the concussion and I can't see him needing more than a month to get his timing and strength back. Management spent all the coin they could in the offseason, and they like what they got.

Go Sabres!

Great take, Lights Out -- I found myself nodding in agreement with every single point.

As many have pointed out on this board -- there's essentially 2 schools of thought on Ales: he's either too valuable to trade, or not valuable enough to get anything of value in return. I am in the latter camp - I don't think other GMs around the league covet Kotalik.

One player who I think might have greater value is Roy. I've not stopped to think about who could center Max and Vanek if Roy were to be dealt (paging Mr. Connolly...), but it strikes me that we could get some "dollar for dollar" toughness and grit for Roy. I realize that's awfully theoretical -- thoughts?

I don't think they'll make any deals with younger, established skaters. I think if anyone is dealt, it will be Biron.

All the skaters except for Briere and Drury are locked up at reasonable salaries, in my opinion.

Dance with who brought ya!

I do not understand talk of dealing Biron. He is an UFA next year. Who is going to trade for someone who is a free agent at the end of the year ? I do not know of a cup contender who would think Biron is the missing piece. You can get him for nothing next year.

Great take, Lights Out -- I found myself nodding in agreement with every single point.

As many have pointed out on this board -- there's essentially 2 schools of thought on Ales: he's either too valuable to trade, or not valuable enough to get anything of value in return. I am in the latter camp - I don't think other GMs around the league covet Kotalik.

One player who I think might have greater value is Roy. I've not stopped to think about who could center Max and Vanek if Roy were to be dealt (paging Mr. Connolly...), but it strikes me that we could get some "dollar for dollar" toughness and grit for Roy. I realize that's awfully theoretical -- thoughts?

I totally agree with you. I'd consider moving Max or Roy because I think the Sabres have enough of that type of forward- highly skilled but weak defensively and both are capable of disappearing for extended periods. That being said, I think the Sabres have great chemistry and any trade involving our better forwards would have to bring back a first unit defensman or a forward who can score and bang in the corners.

It just boggles my mind that people can make statements like this. Yes, let's trade one of our best players who is just hitting his prime so we can get a rugged forward who can score. Hearing this stuff makes me sick. :sick:

It just boggles my mind that people can make statements like this. Yes, let's trade one of our best players who is just hitting his prime so we can get a rugged forward who can score. Hearing this stuff makes me sick. :sick:

Thank you!! Also, everyone wants to trade players we have under contract for the next 2-3 years. Remember there is a salary cap.

If you move him for a power forward, you better be getting someone in the Iginla mold. I know that's a bit of a stretch, but I can't think of a single power forward that would be equal value (ie: you're not going to find equal value out there). How many elite power forward are there anyway?

Thank you!! Also, everyone wants to trade players we have under contract for the next 2-3 years. Remember there is a salary cap.

respectfully, nooch, people are talking this way -- i.e., folks are talking about mortgaging the future -- because of a little something called the stanley frickin cup.

i trust you've seen it -- it stands about 3 feet high and weighs about 35#.

among other considerations, this is most likely the last year we have both nos. 23 and 48 on the roster. as such, many fans are desperate for a move that will help nudge us over the top -- this year.

respectfully, nooch, people are talking this way -- i.e., folks are talking about mortgaging the future -- because of a little something called the stanley frickin cup.

among other considerations, this is most likely the last year we have both nos. 23 and 48 on the roster. as such, many fans are desperate for a move that will help nudge us over the top -- this year.

I do understand . Just seems some of the trade are very unrealistic. By the way, I have seen the Cup. My cousin married Bowman's daughter and he brought it to his home in Amherst after winning with the Penguins.

So what does that mean? You could give two Sh#ts who's on the team as long as we get the "stanley frickin cup."

Is there no one else that has a connection with the players on this team and want to have them win it, not trade guys for some rent-a-veteran?

Many of you act like you could care less if we trade Drury, Briere, Miller, and everyone else as long as you get your precious cup. Don't you want it to actually mean something when it finally happens. I personally don't want three or four guys in our team picture that weren't on the team last year, weren't on the team this year, and won't be on the team next year that just benefitted from the hard work of guys who got shipped off to some bottom feeder.

There's a big difference between picking up a little experience at the deadline and what many of you want. Yah, let's trade Max, let's trade Danny cause he won't be here next year, trade Drury, trade Connolly.

What about their families if they get traded? What about their shot at the cup? Didn't they earn a chance to represent the Sabres in the playoffs, and God willing the Stanley Cup Final?

It's clear that many fans here only care about the "stanley frickin cup" and none of the players that work their off to get a chance to give this city the championship it deserves.

The work towards winning the Cup has not yet begun. That work begins when the opening puck is dropped in playoff game number 1. Those are the guys that will work towards the Stanley Cup Championship this city so desires.

The regular season is nice, but it doesn't mean anything once the playoffs begin.

So what does that mean? You could give two Sh#ts who's on the team as long as we get the "stanley frickin cup."

Is there no one else that has a connection with the players on this team and want to have them win it, not trade guys for some rent-a-veteran?

Many of you act like you could care less if we trade Drury, Briere, Miller, and everyone else as long as you get your precious cup. Don't you want it to actually mean something when it finally happens. I personally don't want three or four guys in our team picture that weren't on the team last year, weren't on the team this year, and won't be on the team next year that just benefitted from the hard work of guys who got shipped off to some bottom feeder.

There's a big difference between picking up a little experience at the deadline and what many of you want. Yah, let's trade Max, let's trade Danny cause he won't be here next year, trade Drury, trade Connolly.

What about their families if they get traded? What about their shot at the cup? Didn't they earn a chance to represent the Sabres in the playoffs, and God willing the Stanley Cup Final?

It's clear that many fans here only care about the "stanley frickin cup" and none of the players that work their off to get a chance to give this city the championship it deserves.

amen brother. doesnt the hard work of last year have anything to do with it. i want the guys that i know and love to get us there. its almost as if i dont want the cup if we lose all the players that brought this franchise into the spotlight and gave up this opportunity - I did say almost

You have to give up something to get something. And while Max might be great in the regular season he didn't do a whole lot in the playoffs. I'd be willing to part with him if it improves our chances of winning the cup. No one is untouchable, well, most no one

What about their families if they get traded?

Dude, they are not being sent to the gulag or anything. Their million dollar contracts will make the trade a little easier to take

Don't give me that horse SH#&T.

Did you get a piece of Briere's present arbitration deal of $5 mil +, or of next year's $7.5 mil + when he signs with Les Habs or the Broad Street? Give me a freaking break.

You talk of their families. Do you think for a FREAKING SECOND that thier families care about Buffalo? They care about their husband or their father bringing home a paycheck. Don't get clouded in in the 'glory of the game' crap. At the end of the day, it's about $. And if you don't think otherwise, then explain why time and time again, they go where the money is. For crying out loud, Jay M. is playing where hockey players go to die, all for the $.

You know who I care about? It's the bus driver making $25k/year that lives and dies by this team. If it takes a few rent-a-players to put a smile on his face when we hoist the cup, then BRING 'EM TO BUFFALO. My loyalty lies with making this team better....TO WIN THE CUP.

You speak of it 'meaning something' if we keep Player A and Player B and win the cup. IF we win the Cup....THAT'S ALL THE MEANING I NEED.

This team is the face of this city. You tell me what means more....having 3 guys that have been here for 3 years make a playoff run with us......or have 500,000 people that have been the laughing stock of the rest of the country stand proud with a championship for the first time ever.

Did you get a piece of Briere's present arbitration deal of $5 mil +, or of next year's $7.5 mil + when he signs with Les Habs or the Broad Street? Give me a freaking break.

You talk of their families. Do you think for a FREAKING SECOND that thier families care about Buffalo? They care about their husband or their father bringing home a paycheck. Don't get clouded in in the 'glory of the game' crap. At the end of the day, it's about $. And if you don't think otherwise, then explain why time and time again, they go where the money is. For crying out loud, Jay M. is playing where hockey players go to die, all for the $.

You know who I care about? It's the bus driver making $25k/year that lives and dies by this team. If it takes a few rent-a-players to put a smile on his face when we hoist the cup, then BRING 'EM TO BUFFALO. My loyalty lies with making this team better....TO WIN THE CUP.

You speak of it 'meaning something' if we keep Player A and Player B and win the cup. IF we win the Cup....THAT'S ALL THE MEANING I NEED.

This team is the face of this city. You tell me what means more....having 3 guys that have been here for 3 years make a playoff run with us......or have 500,000 people that have been the laughing stock of the rest of the country stand proud with a championship for the first time ever.

That's why it really doesn't mean anything to you at all.

Exactly!

Think K. Adams father gave a 2 shits about BFLO last year in the conference finals against the 'Canes? His heart was where is son was...

Their family cares about the player first and the team they are currently playing for...

That's why it really doesn't mean anything to you at all.

You misunderstand my comment. You're suggesting that winning the Cup without a specific player takes "Meaning" away.

A) There's 22 other players on the team that would say otherwise. It ain't tennis.

B) There isn't a greater meaning in all of sports than winning the Dominion Hockey Challenge Cup that has stood since 1892.

Please don't question whether or not it means something to me. I wouldn't retain my season tickets every year if it didn't. And I've watched this team alongside my 87y/o grandfather since I was a little kid. Ask Danny Briere about the 86/87 Sabres. That was a really fun year.

Archived