Open Club  ·  14 members

The Auto Club
Sign in to follow this  

About This Club

Car/Truck talk

United States

1. What's new in this club
  2. Those were my thoughts exactly! And I get frustrated when things don't fit. Metal you can force, plastic tends to break. Then I'd lose my *****, start yelling at my car, yelling at myself, and her and I don't need that.
  3. Taking out the glove box is a breeze. Putting it back in can be frustrating.
  4. I replace my air filters when the air compressor won't successfully clean them anymore. Never done the cabin one though. Seems like a hassle to take out the glove box to get to it.
  5. I recharged my AC recently and was pretty damned proud of myself. My greatest car "repair" feat to date, edging out air and cabin filter replacements.
  6. I have one but it's really not worth it. You can't really do anything with it. I have an Actron that's far more useful.
  7. Anybody have the FIXD plugin sensor? (www.fixdapp.com) If so, does it work and is it worth the money?
  8. New brakes all the way around, new plugs, 3 new tire pressure sensors and an inspection later and I'm poor again. I draw the line at air filters. I can change them myself.
  9. Yeah, the dealership might be expensive, but you're going to have a hard time getting your car worked on at smaller places going forward. Too much proprietary stuff going on with cars now. I firmly believe that the over-contenting of cars is a deliberate attempt by the OEMs to handcuff owners to the dealerships and therefore generate profit from service rather than sales. It's always kinda been this way anyway, but I think many dealers view service as the only way to make money now, and the OEMs are going along with it. I think that, at some point down the road, you're only going to be allowed to take your car to an OEM certified tech. So what you'll see is the small private shops becoming subsidiaries of the OEMs or local dealers and they'll only service one or two brands.
  10. "I would never take my car to a dealership. And I would never take my car to a single place you just named. Dealership will do the job right because the techs are well qualified, but they are gonna ***** you severely on price and bull ***** repairs. Chain shops generally have the dumbest techs alive." - Direct quote from a BMW tech.
  11. I'm not going to attempt to do my own work. What is the best nationwide service center that does quality work without being a rip off shop? Midas, Meineke, Firestone. Pep Boys, Goodyear, Sears? I saw a documentary on dealerships that pretty much said that after the warranty expires, you're better off going to a local shop. Some service managers said they were paid on commission as high as 70% which incentivizes unwarranted repairs.
  12. Yeah, ***** that! Anyway, I had a heat shield rattling underneath today. Screwed that back in nice and tight. So I'm a raging ball of testosterone right now.
  13. Yep. One wheel was stuck and in trying to get it off, I smashed my hand really bad (pure stupidity on my part.) I like my fingers way better when they are playing bass, not when they are bleeding on lug nuts. Plus, it's 186 degrees out.
  14. After this morning, I may be reconsidering this opinion.
  15. The only thing hotter than Agent 86's smokin' red 1965 Sunbeam Tiger in the original Get Smart TV show was the more smokin' hotter Agent 99.
  16. 1987 Mustang. Black, 5 speed. I loved it. My girlfriend at the time hated it. Not too long after that she still hated it, but accepted my bended knee proposal anyway. I had it for 10 years until it just went to Mustang heaven with very short notice.
  17. Too bad the Buffalo one shut down 😥
  18. 67 Camaro convertible. Puttin’ the top down in the winter. Frame broke, never did get the doors shut afterward. Sold for 2k. Got a ‘68
  19. 93 Toyota Supra twin turbo. White. Stick. Fast. Wound up flying around in her (Vikki) for 2 years until I rolled her twice then cartwheeled into a tree. I didn't get a scratch on me and my laptop on the passenger seat survived too but all was not for the best. I broke a pair of Oakley's that day. And Vikki, well let's just say that Vikki was laid to rest.
  20. 74 Chevy Camaro. Canary yellow. Black interior. 5 spoke factory mag wheels and Dunlop raised white letter 60 series tires. I beat the hell out of that poor car. Paid $1000 for it. After driving it hard for 2.5yrs it was rear ended while I was sitting at a red light. Busted the frame on both sides. Long story but the guy that hit me wouldn’t fill out an accident report and I had to file a complaint with NY DMV. While the wheels of justice slowly turned I parted the car out and scrapped what was left. Got about my $1000 back. 6 months later I finally got an $800 insurance check from the guy who hit me.
  21. Sure it was. But I think people were willing to overlook it because the General Lee is cool as hell and the show itself is a ton of fun to watch. Plus, African Americans weren't much of a target audience for TV producers so I doubt anyone cared about their opinions much. They tried to acknowledge it in that 2005 movie which sucked outside of Jessica Simpson as eye candy. https://uproxx.com/hitfix/the-screenwriter-of-the-dukes-of-hazzard-movie-on-how-he-tackled-the-confederate-flag-problem/ It's honestly too bad the star car of Dukes of Hazzard was the General Lee, because unfortunately the passage of time has burdened it with something that makes enjoying it a little difficult. Ten years ago I might have made an argument in favor of leaving the General alone, but I couldn't do that now. I think the show, historically, has probably had a diverse fan base which has kept it popular. I doubt that will be the case going forward. There are plenty of hero cars to enjoy if you're a motorhead, and a lot of them are in better movies and tv shows to boot. It is what it is.
  22. 1990 Caprice Classic I think I've mentioned previously that I have the VIN tattooed on my arm.
  23. Mine was a bright yellow 1999 Mustang (I got it in 2007) with a bunch of aftermarket crap the dude before me had put on it. $3k got me a Boss Mustang with a stickshift, double glass mufflers, tinted windows, trunk full of subwoofers, fancy convertible/hiding entertainment system, custom pedals and .... a V6 engine. Yeah, I know. Kinda hilarious. But you know what, for a 16 year old girl, it was the light of my life. I loved that car (named Sunny). I knew the minute I started driving it that something was wrong with the rear axle, but when I took it in I was told I was an idiot/imagining things/dumb young girl, so I put a few bags of play sand in the trunk to minimize the wiggling at highway speeds. Then one day, I was making a banal turn in the rain and the tail kicked loose, I overreacted and spun out wildly, jumped a curb, popped a front tire. Towed it in... "Hey, did you know your rear axle is all cracked? How the hell were you driving it before?" Thanks, *****. Still wiggled at 80+ and would probably spin out in wet grass but that car sure taught me a lot! It was great for bombing long flat country roads at 70 with the music blaring. I've only had Subaru Imprezas as daily drivers since.
  24. Much like your first time in "other" activities, you never forget your first car. Mine was a 68 VW Beetle. Learned to drive a stick. I remember the defrosters were so poor in those Beetles that I had to scrape the inside of the windshield many times just to see. It was good in the snow which was a bummer because at 17 years old, doing donuts were tough. Must be the engine over the back wheels. And there was a distinctive sound a Beetle made that you could tell one was coming just by the sound. Good times. Now I drive a Caddy. When did I get so old?!