Most Obsure Sabres Player

The_Swannie_House

I own a bunch of old school jerseys. Draper, Franceschetti, Makkela, Burridge, Mike Wilson. I picked most of the game used ones up before Ebay was really popular. I was tempted to sell the collection before Christmas but couldn't do it.

Hey....maybe one of you can come to my house and rob them so the cops, media, and Mike Wilson show up at my house. :doh:

I have a game day program with Mike Wilson on the cover and the Inscription Future of the Sabres. I guess that didn't work out to well

Great call, X.

Likewise: Anyone have a Sabres jersey for Frank Yzerman? :lol:

You've got me there, I don't recall any Yzerman being a part of the Sabres or-gan-i-za-tion. But, if we're going there, why not go all the way and look for a Tsujimoto, Dudacek, or Geoffrion sweater?

Or maybe even a Lemaire? (Those of you who collected hockey cards in the '70's will know what I'm talking about.)

Or, if we're staying with guys who actually wore a sword or 2 (or 6, counting shoulder patches) how about good ol' Morris Titanic, who TTBOMK still holds the record for most games as a Sabre without showing up on a score sheet (0G, 0A, 0PIM) and who, ironically enough, wore #19 and played exactly 19 games for the Sabres. (You think he wishes he wore #98 or 99? ;) )

I have a game day program with Mike Wilson on the cover and the Inscription Future of the Sabres. I guess that didn't work out to well

...if we look at the lineage of Chris Drury, you'll find Mike Wilson involved in a trade for Rhett Warrener who was later shipped off in a package for Chris Drury.

...if we look at the lineage of Chris Drury, you'll find Mike Wilson involved in a trade for Rhett Warrener who was later shipped off in a package for Chris Drury.

I was at a charity event in Miami and there was an autographed Panthers hat signed by Mike Wilson. I bid $10....Some chic bid $20....I laughed and went to $30....she bid $70. I asked if she was his wife, but she was not amused.

You've got me there, I don't recall any Yzerman being a part of the Sabres or-gan-i-za-tion. But, if we're going there, why not go all the way and look for a Tsujimoto, Dudacek, or Geoffrion sweater?

Sorry - the whole Keith Gretzky thing brought on a running joke I have with some friends, wherein we put arbitrary/goofy first names (well, goofy for hockey, anyway) with the last names of other all-time greats, and then try to convince people that the Sabres held that guy's rights/had that guy in the farm system for a period of time. So, "Frank Yzerman" is always a favorite; as is Joey Messier and Reid Sakic.

As for the names you referenced above - Dudacek rings a bell (Red Army? Or, no, was it the Bowman draft fiasco during the cold war?) - but I can't crack the code. Were those all guys that we took flyers on in the draft, but never even saw them in a team sweater?

Sorry - the whole Keith Gretzky thing brought on a running joke I have with some friends, wherein we put arbitrary/goofy first names (well, goofy for hockey, anyway) with the last names of other all-time greats, and then try to convince people that the Sabres held that guy's rights/had that guy in the farm system for a period of time. So, "Frank Yzerman" is always a favorite; as is Joey Messier and Reid Sakic.

As for the names you referenced above - Dudacek rings a bell (Red Army? Or, no, was it the Bowman draft fiasco during the cold war?) - but I can't crack the code. Were those all guys that we took flyers on in the draft, but never even saw them in a team sweater?

Dudacek was a star on the Czech national team that Bowman used a 1st round pick on. He did this right after the Statsny's defected, so there was an outside possibility this guy would have come across the pond (he never did, obviously) but there was NO WAY the Sabres should have wasted a 1st rounder on him.

Taro Tsujimoto was the Sabres 11th round pick in '74. I believe he was the 1st player ever drafted from a Japanese hockey league and the 1st Japanese player ever drafted. Bob Geoffrion was the player drafted after Taro in the 12th round. He had a very short, non-descript career in the minors. Oh, I nearly forgot to mention, Taro Tsujimoto was a figment of Punch Imlach's mind. He did not exist. Punch thought it would be funny to watch everyone scramble to figure out who this Tsujimoto kid was. It was actually a pretty funny joke.

The drafting of Tsujimoto spawned numerous "TARO SAYS:" and "TARO SAY:" banners around the Aud. (That's actually where I borrowed my avatar tag line(s) from.)

I've occassionally wondered what Bob Geoffrion's thoughts were about getting drafted 1 round later than an imaginary player. (Bob, we've got good news for you, you've been drafted by the Sabres. That's GREAT. Bob, you were drafted after they chose an imaginary player. THAT'S not so good.)

The Jacques Lemaire reference was regarding his '74-'75 hockey card showing him as Sabre. There had been a rumor that the Sabres and Habs would make a blockbuster trade before that season (Perrault or Martin for Lemaire straight up, both for Jacques and Guy, etc., etc.). Topps got a hold of the rumor and believed the trade was so imminent that they air brushed a Sabres uni on him.

• 1 year later...

I remember seeing alot of those "obscure" Sabres. I didn't think they would count as obscure. How about anyone rember watching David Littman play in a game for us? I think he got lit up. I also remember Mark Astley with a between the legs move similar to Connoly's. Ric Seiling is that obscure. I don't rember watching Brian Engblom though that was a while ago.

Archived