TSN Calling the game from between the benches

BuffalOhio

Wow, really innovative TSN. You're not going to be able to see the game all that well from there, and you'll be subject to sticks and pucks drilling you. Keep your heads up, boys! :death:

Ice-Level Broadcast

I have a better idea. Why not call the game from inside the net. Play by Play guy in one net, analyst in the other. I would expect this from the morons at Versus, not TSN.

Wow, really innovative TSN. You're not going to be able to see the game all that well from there, and you'll be subject to sticks and pucks drilling you. Keep your heads up, boys! :death:

Ice-Level Broadcast

I agree. How the heck are they going to see the action clearly from there and be able to call it well? I would think that it might be hard to see who a certain player is from down there or instances where their view is blocked/obscured. I hope they tried it out before becoming so "innovative". Are they going to broadcast the game from that level so we all can't quite see what is going on?

I have a better idea. Why not call the game from inside the net. Play by Play guy in one net, analyst in the other. I would expect this from the morons at Versus, not TSN.

i don't remember Healy being better than average at seeing the game from the net when he was in it :D

This could be quite excellent.

We might hear the first MotherF****er uttered over the airways as they take one off the teeth.

I'm sure those mikes will also pick up some of the more colorful outbursts from the bench as well. Where's my popcorn?

guys, it's really not that bad idea.

If you know Hockey it won't be too hard to follow the game. Coaches and players do it.

Secondly, you probably will get a better feel for how fast and dynamic the game is.

Thirdly, it's TSN, it's one game... I don't know how, but I doubt many of you even GET tsn on your TV's, so even if they were doing this full time it wouldn't effect you in any way what-so-ever.

If you know Hockey it won't be too hard to follow the game. Coaches and players do it.

Have you ever been down there? It'll be very hard for him to tell who the players are when they are in a zone, especially in the corners. Yeah, coaches follow the game from there, but that doesn't mean it has a great view and you can see everything.

Play by play guys announce constantly, to have periods where he can't tell which player has the puck because he can't see is inexcusable.

Secondly, you probably will get a better feel for how fast and dynamic the game is.

Why, exactly? They aren't changing camera angles or anything except for the play by play guy's view of the arena. It makes no sense to say that people will get a better feel for how fast the game is when the speed of the announcer's voice and the camera angles aren't any different.

Thirdly, it's TSN, it's one game... I don't know how, but I doubt many of you even GET tsn on your TV's, so even if they were doing this full time it wouldn't effect you in any way what-so-ever.

And you've hit the trifecta. Again, you're wrong. There are a lot of hockey games on TSN shown on Center Ice, and it would affect each and every one of those games.

Have you ever been down there? It'll be very hard for him to tell who the players are when they are in a zone, especially in the corners. Yeah, coaches follow the game from there, but that doesn't mean it has a great view and you can see everything.

Play by play guys announce constantly, to have periods where he can't tell which player has the puck because he can't see is inexcusable.

Why, exactly? They aren't changing camera angles or anything except for the play by play guy's view of the arena. It makes no sense to say that people will get a better feel for how fast the game is when the speed of the announcer's voice and the camera angles aren't any different.

And you've hit the trifecta. Again, you're wrong. There are a lot of hockey games on TSN shown on Center Ice, and it would affect each and every one of those games.

1.) If He indeed has face recognition skillz like he said he has, when the puck is in the near corner he can use that and in the far corner he can use numbers to identify players.

Having been seated in the first row before, to the right of a bench (this was actually the game 7 game against Ottawa, Derek Plante)i can clearly say I had no problems following the game.

2.) I'm going to go ahead and assume since he's viewing at a faster pace that emotion is going to be communicated through his announcing. And yes, the way a person says something can effect your perception of what you are viewing. Just look at the difference between RJ calling a game and those guys from Tampa. (I hate the Chief, let that be known).

3.) I'm sure as a reasonable and educated hockey fan who had previously mentioned announcing speed and camera angles would not be changed, you would be able to somehow overcome the terrible tragedy that is not knowing the player 100% of the time who is fiddling for the puck in the corner.

I imagine a day where that player isn't positively identified until he skates away. Thus leaving your life in such a horrible place you've but one option. gamecast on ESPN.

Um, actually, I get TSN way more than I want to. I get Center Ice and live outside the Buffalo viewing area, so it's a crapshoot as to who calls the game when I see it. I do, however, get TSN more than I want.

I want Jeanneret, dammit!

1.) If He indeed has face recognition skillz like he said he has, when the puck is in the near corner he can use that and in the far corner he can use numbers to identify players.

Having been seated in the first row before, to the right of a bench (this was actually the game 7 game against Ottawa, Derek Plante)i can clearly say I had no problems following the game.

I've sat down there as well. You must have some x-ray vision to be able to see the puck/play when its in the corner in the opposite zone.

2.) I'm going to go ahead and assume since he's viewing at a faster pace that emotion is going to be communicated through his announcing. And yes, the way a person says something can effect your perception of what you are viewing. Just look at the difference between RJ calling a game and those guys from Tampa. (I hate the Chief, let that be known).

Viewing at a faster pace? What in the world does that mean?

The players aren't skating any faster, the puck isn't moving any faster, the game isn't being played at a faster speed.

How can he view something at a faster pace when no speed is changing at all? That makes no sense.

3.) I'm sure as a reasonable and educated hockey fan who had previously mentioned announcing speed and camera angles would not be changed, you would be able to somehow overcome the terrible tragedy that is not knowing the player 100% of the time who is fiddling for the puck in the corner.

I imagine a day where that player isn't positively identified until he skates away. Thus leaving your life in such a horrible place you've but one option. gamecast on ESPN.

So what you're saying is that I should just accept worse announcing from TSN because I can see the game being broad casted? Why is that, exactly? :wallbash:

Thats the same stupid line of thinking that gets the announcers talking about their golf games from the day before. A big reason as to why the Sabres broadcasting team is so good is that they are simulcasted on the radio, and thus stick to actually calling whats on the ice and following the play.

Just because I can see the game doesn't mean that I should welcome a decreased level of announcing in order for TSN to try an experiment. That is an extremely faulty line of reasoning.

ITS AN EXPIRAMENT. YOU'VE NEVER SEEN IT HAPPEN. GIVE IT A CHANCE.

"Viewing at a faster pace? What in the world does that mean?

The players aren't skating any faster, the puck isn't moving any faster, the game isn't being played at a faster speed.

How can he view something at a faster pace when no speed is changing at all? That makes no sense."

When you're viewing things from higher up it appears slower. For example, If you've ever been on a plane while you can see the cars moving. They appear to be moving slow. If you were down where the car was it'd be going 55mph.

I'd love to bust out a mathematical equation right here but I just don't know it.

ITS AN EXPIRAMENT. YOU'VE NEVER SEEN IT HAPPEN. GIVE IT A CHANCE.

Ah, yes, the old attempt at using caps as if it somehow validates what you are saying.

I do not want experimentation in hockey broadcasts. Experiment on your own time, not while I'm watching the damn game. Its hard enough to get a good broadcast as it is, and TSN was always one of the better ones.

TV Stations introduce gimmicks all the time in an attempt to make better broadcasts and never attempt to fix the real issues. I do not want a glowing puck, a new horrific camera angle, or one of the many other failed "experiments".

"Viewing at a faster pace? What in the world does that mean?

How can he view something at a faster pace when no speed is changing at all? That makes no sense."

When you're viewing things from higher up it appears slower. For example, If you've ever been on a plane while you can see the cars moving. They appear to be moving slow. If you were down where the car was it'd be going 55mph.

I'd love to bust out a mathematical equation right here but I just don't know it.

Sure it does, but it also occurs from a lot higher then the Press Box at HSBC.

Watching the game from up top in HSBC or from down near the ice, and I've sat in both seats, I have never found myself "viewing at a faster pace" when I sit down near the ice. The only time where it might seem more exciting is when the the action and puck are coming right at you and hits the glass. Hopefully that'll happen tonight, and hit them right in the head.

TV Stations introduce gimmicks all the time in an attempt to make better broadcasts and never attempt to fix the real issues. I do not want a glowing puck, a new horrific camera angle, or one of the many other failed "experiments".

Sure it does, but it also occurs from a lot higher then the Press Box at HSBC.

Not reallly partial to this argument either way, but the intro of the yellow ten yard line in football made the game much better... Reverse angle in football helped as well. I like the goal camera.

Some experimentation is good, some bad, Remember when NBC used an announcerless game? Wasn't that the Bills-Jets?

Archived